Rich Franklin returns to his rightful home

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin returns to his rightful home
prophecy033
3/22/12 3:19:18AM
Before guys like Joseph Benavidez and Jon Fitch knew limbo, Rich Franklin was the original purgatory in the UFC. He was the middleweight champion for 16 months in the mid-aughts, beginning with a declarative victory over Evan Tanner and ending three fights later where things for all men come to an end ... with Anderson Silva.

Back in the day when immediate rematches were hard to come by, Franklin had to beat Jason MacDonald and Yushin Okami to get a chance at reclaiming his belt. “Ace” finally stepped in with Anderson Silva again at UFC 77, in a conflict that was dubiously dubbed “Hostile Territory.” That is, at least for Silva. Franklin was in the friendly confines of his native Cincinnati, eschewing his trademark Neapolitan trunks for those sporting Bengals colors. It was a homecoming full of furnace warmth.

Until he was being fetched back into consciousness with smelling salts.

Link
tcunningham
3/22/12 3:38:41AM
just glad to see him back at MW. to small for 205, le is a good opponent too.
prophecy033
3/22/12 3:50:00AM
I have to give Franklin a ton of respect for the way he conducts himself inside and outside the cage. He always puts on highly entertaining fights while fighting fights that will put on the best show. Mad props for him stating that a 3rd fight wasn't one the fans wanted to see so he wasn't interested. The guy is a company guy if I've ever seen one
Poor_Franklin
3/22/12 4:56:27AM
Rich = Class Act

If he had an account on the playground, I'd prop him daily
UFC_Fanatic
3/22/12 5:34:25AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Rich = Class Act

If he had an account on the playground, I'd prop him daily

You and me both. Franklin has always been one of my favorites, and it is in no small part due to his class outside of the cage. Sure, what he does inside the cage is great and all, but the dude has always been one of the legitimately nicest guy's you'll ever meet outside the cage. He just has that class act demeanor about him that wins people over. He's a great guy, and he has always served as a great ambassador for the sport.
Wallass
3/22/12 10:10:24AM
Rich Franklin's prime is long gone. This guy doesn't even want to be a fighter anymore.
cowcatcher
3/22/12 10:15:49AM

Posted by Wallass

Rich Franklin's prime is long gone. This guy doesn't even want to be a fighter anymore.

Uh, he still can beat the vast majority of the fighters in the world out there at MW even if he is past his prime. I have no idea why you're questioning his desire to be a fighter either, but I'm starting to question your desire to keep posting on this site after reading your posts lately. Did you recently move into a home under a bridge or something?
KungFuMaster
3/22/12 11:35:21AM
Franklin was one of the most dedicated mma fighters of his time. He trained hard, ate correctly, and managed his weight to perfection when he was in the middle weight division. I don't think anybody took their job as seriously as Franklin did.

Franklin gave up a solid career as a teacher to become a fighter. I cannot believe his fighting spirit is being questioned now. Is he on the down-slope of his career? Definitely - as do all other fighters.

Just because Franklin is not winning, does not mean he is not training or his heart is not there anymore. There is a significant difference between a fighter like Franklin and say a fighter like Rampage.
Bubbles
3/22/12 12:35:11PM

Posted by KungFuMaster
There is a significant difference between a fighter like Franklin and say a fighter like Rampage.

The difference is black and white
(night and day also works)
Chael_Sonnen
3/22/12 1:23:22PM
Can't say enough good things about the Math Teacher.
Poor_Franklin
3/22/12 1:53:24PM

Posted by Wallass
This guy doesn't even want to be a fighter anymore.

evidence or STFU
prophecy033
3/22/12 2:15:04PM

Posted by Wallass

This guy doesn't even want to be a fighter anymore.

Are you talking about Franklin or Rampage?
Manak
3/22/12 3:37:26PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Franklin was one of the most dedicated mma fighters of his time. He trained hard, ate correctly, and managed his weight to perfection when he was in the middle weight division. I don't think anybody took their job as seriously as Franklin did.

Franklin gave up a solid career as a teacher to become a fighter. I cannot believe his fighting spirit is being questioned now. Is he on the down-slope of his career? Definitely - as do all other fighters.

Just because Franklin is not winning, does not mean he is not training or his heart is not there anymore. There is a significant difference between a fighter like Franklin and say a fighter like Rampage.

he has to be one the healthiest ppl on the planet. on his website and twitter he put his diet for a day, and man its insane, he will be able to fight for a long time if he wants to cause body is in perfect shape/health
grappler0000
3/22/12 3:42:26PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Just because Franklin is not winning, does not mean he is not training or his heart is not there anymore...

I think people easily forget that, to this day, Franklin has still only lost to current or former champions.
BeeR
3/22/12 6:13:41PM
Rich Franklin
Chris Lytle.

Always been my two favourite fighters.
No one will ever surpass them on my list.
KungFuMaster
3/22/12 7:07:14PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by KungFuMaster

he has to be one the healthiest ppl on the planet. on his website and twitter he put his diet for a day, and man its insane, he will be able to fight for a long time if he wants to cause body is in perfect shape/health

I agree. Franklin could fight until he's 50 if he wants.
Budgellism
3/22/12 7:28:44PM
I don't think I've ever rooted against the guy and I won't start now. He's going to beat Le and I'm pumped to see him back in the division where he really solidified his legacy
Bubbles
3/22/12 8:13:11PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree. Franklin could fight until he's 50 if he wants.

speaking of old men fighting, Couture vs Franklin I've always wanted to see
prophecy033
3/22/12 8:14:07PM

Posted by Budgellism

I don't think I've ever rooted against the guy and I won't start now. He's going to beat Le and I'm pumped to see him back in the division where he really solidified his legacy

well said Budge
Bubbles
3/22/12 8:14:47PM

Posted by Budgellism

I don't think I've ever rooted against the guy and I won't start now.

the only time I have ever cheered against him was when he fought Liddell simply because I wanted Chuck to go out on a win and not get KTFO again
Franklinfan47
3/22/12 8:22:46PM
Rich Franklin= Can.

Chael_Sonnen
3/22/12 8:53:58PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Rich Franklin= Can.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bjj1605
3/22/12 10:24:26PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Franklinfan47

Rich Franklin= Can.

I've loved this guy ever since I met him at a local MMA show hosted by my GYM.

He offered to sign my nipple. (true story)
shaneTpain
3/23/12 6:24:24PM
Rich is right up there with Randy, Chuck & Matt Hughes - legendary status
& this fight with Cung Le is gonna have me soiling my denver hayes