How will Rich Franklin be remembered?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How will Rich Franklin be remembered?
Next Page »
POLL: How would you decribe Rich Franklin
Champion 31% (8)
Warrior 42% (11)
Humble 15% (4)
Banger 0% (0)
Gate Keeper 0% (0)
Andersons punching bag 12% (3)
prophecy033
8/2/11 11:37:26AM
My first knowledge of Rich Franklin was when he beat Ken Shamrock. I know, he had already been around awhile, even fighting future Light Heavyweight Champ Lyoto Machida. But I remember thinking "how did that guy beat the worlds most dangerous man (ive never considered shamrock to be anything close to that). Not long after he was one of my favorite guys to watch and still is. From his violent ko of Nate Quarry, to his losing the title to Anderson, Rich has embodied the true meaning of a Mixed Martial Artistt. He has fought some of the best the sport has had to offer at 185 and 205. Henderson, Silva, Silva, Liddell, Belfort, Machida. The list goes on and on. So I guess what I'm asking is, how will Rich Franklin be remembered by you
Theoutlaw08
8/2/11 11:39:42AM
The first thing I think of when I think of Rich Franklin is he is kind of like a good guy in a comic book. He's humble, he's a good person, he was a teacher turned into fighter. I think he's a classy guy and will/should be only remembered for good things.
prophecy033
8/2/11 11:43:39AM
I know what your saying. Franklin was Champion when the ufc ushered in a new era of mma. I will always remember him as a champ, regardless of how many surgeries he needed after fighting Anderson
KungFuMaster
8/2/11 12:03:33PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

The first thing I think of when I think of Rich Franklin is he is kind of like a good guy in a comic book. He's humble, he's a good person, he was a teacher turned into fighter. I think he's a classy guy and will/should be only remembered for good things.

I heard a movie company bought the rights to do a movie on Rich Franklin. It is a great story but I am not so sure the movie will be good at all. So far, all movies about mma has been poorly done IMO.
prophecy033
8/2/11 12:28:27PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I heard a movie company bought the rights to do a movie on Rich Franklin. It is a great story but I am not so sure the movie will be good at all. So far, all movies about mma has been poorly done IMO.

no doubt, nobody has done justice to the sport through film. But if there ever was a fighter that deserved a good film, it would be "ACE"
kingsmasher
8/2/11 12:53:32PM
Ambassador for the sport that will help it pass legislation in New York in the future...A gamer who took every fight seriously...Good worker but not great...

IN my eyes its ashamed that Anderson Silva will oversahdow Rich Franklin in the division and what Rich might have been able to accomplish...
kingsmasher
8/2/11 12:56:42PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Theoutlaw08

no doubt, nobody has done justice to the sport through film. But if there ever was a fighter that deserved a good film, it would be "ACE"

Personally the movie would definitely have to be somewhat loosely based...I mean how does it end? and its not like theres a great Rocky theme to it...What movie company?
KungFuMaster
8/2/11 1:08:48PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Personally the movie would definitely have to be somewhat loosely based...I mean how does it end? and its not like theres a great Rocky theme to it...What movie company?

I would have to google it. I saw it online while searching for a link.

But anyway, it does not have to be a rocky theme. I can see the ending>>>>Ace retires from mma and becomes a teacher again >>>and then something sparks his interests and he gives the same spill to his students about going after your dreams >>>>> Ace quits his teaching job again>>>>>>

And Indiana Jones is reborn! How great would that be?
KungFuMaster
8/2/11 1:13:50PM
I saw a different purchasing name but here is what I found. Ace's life story has been sold
grappler0000
8/2/11 1:20:21PM

Posted by prophecy033

nobody has done justice to the sport through film.

This will be the year that all changes...some pretty decent stuff is beginning to surface.
emfleek
8/2/11 1:22:38PM
Let's hope Rich doesn't play himself. Face it, he isn't exactly the next DeNiro...or even Eric Roberts, for that matter.
grappler0000
8/2/11 1:30:48PM

Posted by emfleek

Let's hope Rich doesn't play himself. Face it, he isn't exactly the next DeNiro...or even Eric Roberts, for that matter.

I don't know what you're talking about Fleek. In Cyborg Soldier, he nailed his role of an emotionless cyborg.
emfleek
8/2/11 1:36:46PM

Posted by grappler0000

I don't know what you're talking about Fleek. In Cyborg Soldier, he nailed his role of an emotionless cyborg.

Ha...I've never even seen Cyborg Soldier. I don't even know what movie it is I'm referring to, but it was mentioned on one of the Countdown shows. It's a scene with him and some woman in a graveyard. That 20 seconds was enough for me.
mrsmiley
8/2/11 1:46:43PM
A blue collar mma champ.
tn_rebel
8/2/11 2:24:27PM
All of the above besides "gate keeper". He was a great champion who has been in some wars and banged it out with some guys, but its also hard to forget the beatings he took from Silva.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 2:51:30PM
Also the guy who sent Chuck Lidell into retirement!!
grappler0000
8/2/11 2:59:06PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

Ha...I've never even seen Cyborg Soldier. I don't even know what movie it is I'm referring to, but it was mentioned on one of the Countdown shows. It's a scene with him and some woman in a graveyard. That 20 seconds was enough for me.

Yeah, that's the one. The woman was actually Tiffani Amber Thiessen. The cyborg role is actually perfect for first-time actors though, since it just requires a straight face and reading of lines. His acting was nothing to write home about, but I'd still say it was above average relative to other fighters' first gig. I'm curious to see how he does in Hamill.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 3:11:54PM
Wasnt he in the movie Ace Venture Pet detective? and thats how he got the name Ace?
Budgellism
8/2/11 3:49:00PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I have to spread the love but I really couldn't have said it better myself. Franklin should only be remembered for good things. Sure, he was destroyed by Silva twice but I can't hold that against him. He's a very solid veteran and he's all class. He deserves every bit of the hall of fame induction he will inevitably receive.
Budgellism
8/2/11 3:51:13PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Theoutlaw08

There are several mma movies coming out in the next year or so. I'll be watching all of them in hopes of a good one.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 4:23:18PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Theoutlaw08

There are several mma movies coming out in the next year or so. I'll be watching all of them in hopes of a good one.

my prediction is one never gets a nomination for an award though...The Fighter was about as close as you will get...and it was good...I was surprised I liked it as much as I did...Bale did an awesome performance and reminded me of how some on here might be if we met in person..
grappler0000
8/2/11 4:37:21PM

Posted by kingsmasher

my prediction is one never gets a nomination for an award though.

That's about as safe of a prediction one can make, assuming you mean an Academy Award. Then again, how many movies can actually make that claim? Hamill has already won several film festival awards though. While that's not on the same level as an Oscar, it's still impressive, considering the industry's previous movies.
Chael_Sonnen
8/2/11 4:37:50PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Nice....also, the guy that got screwed against Hendo.
UFC_Fanatic
8/2/11 7:18:55PM

Posted by tn_rebel

All of the above besides "gate keeper". He was a great champion who has been in some wars and banged it out with some guys, but its also hard to forget the beatings he took from Silva.

He took the beatings from Silva better than anybody else Silva has destroyed, and he showed a ton of heart in both fights. Even having been destroyed once by him, he came into that second fight and fought hard and fought the same as he always has, he wasn't fighting not to lose like a lot of guys when they fight somebody whose already beat them, he was fighting to win. He came in and he brought it to Silva the best that he could. If I'm not mistaken, Silva has been quoted in the past as saying that Franklin is the only true champion he has fought since he has had the belt.

Franklin accepted both losses with class, and when his home town crowd booed Silva following his second loss to him, he even calmed the crowd down and asked them not to boo him saying that Silva was a great guy and a great champ and deserved their respect. I will remember him as one of the classiest, if not the classiest guy ever to grace the Octagon. He's a gamer who will fight anybody the UFC tells him to fight. I guarantee that if the UFC called him tonight and said would you like to fight Silva for a third time tomorrow night? he would undoubtedly accept the fight. To me the guy is an inspiration and a true ambassador of the sport and represents the sport and everything it stands for perfectly.
UFC_Fanatic
8/2/11 7:23:59PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by kingsmasher

Nice....also, the guy that got screwed against Hendo.

I agree. He won the fight against hendo in my book. I haven't seen the fight in forever, but I believe I gave him the second and third rounds, giving the first to hendo because I believe hendo rocked him right out of the gates at the beginning of the fight. That is the only time I've ever seen Franklin react negatively to the outcome of a fight that the judges deemed that he lost, and he had every reason to be upset.
kingsmasher
8/2/11 7:46:45PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I saw a different purchasing name but here is what I found. Ace's life story has been sold

OK I get it there gonna tell the story up until he won and then end it there I bet...Good one

Actually a Dan Henderson story might be better but it woould be similar to Cinderella Man...very similar...actually that is pretty much the story outta work picked up small job and fought his way back to face you know who...
kopower
8/2/11 8:38:27PM

I just can't get this image out of my head when I think of Rich. I would combine warrior with Silva's punching bag.
pmoney
8/2/11 9:07:41PM
I will remember Rich Franklin as one of the greatest mixed martial artists to ever live.

His only losses are to true legends, current and former UFC champions, and future Hall of Fame mixed martial artists. He has been in some great wars, and was a great champion for this sport, and he continues to be a great ambassador for the sport.

I can't say enough good about Rich Franklin. I hope he keeps kicking ass for some time.

SpiderSilva
8/2/11 9:18:35PM
I will always think of Franklin as the 2nd greatest mw in UFC history. also one of the toughest fighters ever lets not forget he retired Chuck with a broken arm. Franklin always puts on a show win or lose.
cowcatcher
8/3/11 11:08:38AM
He's the classic guy in the white hat. He says the things a good guy is supposed to say, fights the way you want to see a guy fight, and he has only been in there against the best. There isn't a bad thing I can say about Rich, he's one of the best ever.
Pages: [1] 2