Rich Franklin vs Matt Hamill UFC 88 light heavyweight fight possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin vs Matt Hamill UFC 88 light heavyweight fight possible
nickcuc547
7/1/08 8:43:01PM
Former middleweight champion Rich Franklin (23-3) is possibly packing on 20 pounds for a light heavyweight clash against Matt Hamill (4-1) at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Ga., on September 6, according to MMARated.com.

http://mmamania.com/2008/07/01/rich-franklin-vs-matt-hamill-ufc-88-light-heavyweight-fight-possible/
Khaos
7/1/08 8:56:33PM
That'd be a good fight, but I personally feel it should be Bonnar against Hamil(like originlly slated for UFN 13), that is if Bonnar is cleared to fight after his injury.

WE WANT BONNAR !!!!!!!!!!!
jakeiceman
7/1/08 9:07:51PM
I agree, I havent seen Bonnar fight in a long damn time! But I think this would be a good matchup for Franklins return to 205. Hamill has legit talent (and a win over Bisping ) I think it would be a good challenge for Franklin but I have to think that Rich would take it pretty handily.
Twenty20Dollars
7/1/08 9:16:38PM
i am not interested in this fight. plus i dont really want either guy to lose rght now.
MoJoy
7/1/08 9:27:24PM

I feel the same way. Much better for fights to make for each of these guys. True.
durog
7/1/08 9:36:17PM
Good to see Ace goin the Anderson route and test his abilities. I'd rather see him fight another great striker though...
tepid55
7/1/08 10:17:34PM
If Franklin can keep it standing, he has a chance.
Gipper
7/1/08 10:20:34PM
i think this could be a tougher lhw fight for ace then anderson's lhw fight with irvin. i'd like to see what franklin could do at lhw. he did say that his body was finally acclimated to 185 and he'd be better suited to fight in the mw division.
Ordep
7/1/08 10:42:12PM
Great, I feel like I lost my ticket $$$, still no interesting fight for me, I'll probably sell it later. Put Thiago Silva on that damn card against Franklin and bring another for Hamill.
Naturaldisaster
7/1/08 10:53:09PM
War Hamill!
Wolfenstein
7/1/08 11:01:47PM
"If he can keep it standing he has a chance."

What?! Maybe it's just me but I see this as a total mismatch. Matt's a good fighter but Rich is a great fighter.

I think if Rich is taken down... which will be tough, he can get back up pretty easily and smash him on the feet. Plus Matt just doesn't seem to want to wrestle anymore, he'd rather bang. Big mistake against Rich, and that's how I see this playing out.

If Rich isn't a huge favorite I'll jump all over this bet.
juanez13
7/1/08 11:17:14PM
i see hamill taking this fight if it happens.
prozacnation1978
7/2/08 12:01:30AM
i see a decision but this is a meaning less fight like silva vs irvin fight
going down in weight is good but going up what do you have to prove??
especially rich he should keep fighting at middlewight and if silva loses he will be next in line to get title back
Mayhem13
7/2/08 12:02:22AM
I like Rich, but I am kind apulling for Hamill...

you would think they woulda waited till the next Columbus event for this fight though..they are both Ohio cats right?? they always put hometown favs on the cards.
ChokeUout
7/2/08 12:39:34AM

Posted by luke420187

"If he can keep it standing he has a chance."

What?! Maybe it's just me but I see this as a total mismatch. Matt's a good fighter but Rich is a great fighter.

I think if Rich is taken down... which will be tough, he can get back up pretty easily and smash him on the feet. Plus Matt just doesn't seem to want to wrestle anymore, he'd rather bang. Big mistake against Rich, and that's how I see this playing out.

If Rich isn't a huge favorite I'll jump all over this bet.

Hammill is a world class wrestler, so no, it shouldn't be that hard for him to take rich down.

However, I agree with you on Hamill wanting to stand more, and I agree that's not what I think he should do. But I think Hammill has a better Chin than Franklin does (Hammill's lip hanging off his face against Boetsch, plus Franklin's Chin has been questioned for a while now). Still think Rich has a stand up advantage, but I could see Hammill knocking him out,
MaxOne
7/2/08 12:39:51AM
I don't get it.
If Matt wins it's great for him. If he loses then it's like.."oh the new guy lost to the former champ...no biggie"... but what does this do for rich other than just give him another win or loss on his record. He should fight henderson at 185 first.
Mchubb316
7/2/08 12:48:22AM
I don't like it. There are several fights in LHW that I would rather see Hamill get besides having Rich move up to fight him. Hamill vs Bonnar, Alexander, Soko,... I would rather see Rich fight either Hendo, or Marquardt.
TheCelica
7/2/08 3:16:25AM
Why are too Cincinnati natives fighting each other?

damnit i have to choose....Hamill, because he eat Boetchs knees and kept going!
whardin19
7/2/08 7:43:09AM
Wow! This is a tough fight for Rich at 205. Matt Hamill is no joke. The guy has uber talent. The thing I am wanting to see is which one of these guys is going to be stronger. If Matt is stronger it's going to be harder for Rich to stop his takedowns. Matt is a top notch wrestler so if he gets Rich down it could spell trouble for him. But I see Rich keeping this fight on his feet and beating Matt by UD.
Pyrenus
7/2/08 9:24:11AM
No way, Rich hits way too hard. He'll KO Hamill before the 3rd. Matt just keeps coming forward like the terminator, and that's a terrible strategy for fighting Rich. His best chance is to keep Rich on his back for the entire fight.
gsquat
7/2/08 10:35:12AM
Franklin gets handled in this fight. However I agree with above poster that it should be Bonnar vs Hamill in which Bonnar would come out victorious..
MMAcca
7/2/08 1:19:10PM
Franklin vs. Hamill at UFC 88 (Confirmed according to MMA Rated)

LINK - No source though, i'm still sceptical.
goatse
7/2/08 1:37:40PM
so when did Hammill hear..................read about the news
MMAcca
7/2/08 1:49:52PM

Posted by goatse

so when did Hammill hear..................read about the news

prophecy033
7/10/11 5:35:38PM
Funny ****