Rich Franklin Makes Case For 195-Pound Division, But Still Wants Middleweight Gold

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin Makes Case For 195-Pound Division, But Still Wants Middleweight Gold
lohmann
6/19/12 7:11:46PM
Unofficially, Rich Franklin sees his UFC 147 main event matchup with Wanderlei Silva as his return to the middleweight division, even though the duo will only have to step on the scale and hit 190 pounds in order to make their fight official. The catch weight stipulation was a concession to Franklin taking the bout on short notice and having to travel from Singapore to the US to Brazil in the interim.

Just days from the fight, Franklin believes he could have made 185 pounds, and when he does the next time, it will be his first time at the weight since April 2008. After moving to light-heavyweight, Franklin has gone 3-3, though two of those fights are notably at 195-pound catch weights.

"I really don't have an opinion one way or another," he said. "I know originally, the UFC had the five weight classes and they were trying to avoid having so many champions that people would lose track of them, much like what happened with boxing. There are so many weight class champions that you can't name half of the belt-holders in the sport of boxing, and I think the UFC was somewhat trying to avoid that. With time, we've put in these smaller weight classes, so there are so many more weight classes that definitely, an argument could be made for a 195-pound weight class."

LINK
george112
6/19/12 7:30:07PM
Rich I like you I really do but that just isn't going to happen

The division has come a long way since your hay day
Twenty20Dollars
6/19/12 7:32:38PM
Not even enough depth at LHW so there won't be a 195 divison.
Budgellism
6/19/12 7:36:30PM
No need for a 195 pound division when there's still a 207-266 pound heavyweight division. That needs attention long before a 195 pound division does.
Bubbles
6/19/12 8:13:54PM
MW is already considered one of the weakest divisions, and LHW is very top heavy with not a whole lot going on past the top 12. a 195 lb division will be shallower than what 125 is right now
Chael_Sonnen
6/19/12 8:32:15PM
Hmmmm, so you want Uncle Dana to create a 195 division (for your sake) and then you'll what, fight like once every two years, because of injuries and what not......Psssh, no thanks.

Lazy weight cuts need not apply Pet Detective.
lohmann
6/19/12 8:44:38PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Hmmmm, so you want Uncle Dana to create a 195 division (for your sake) and then you'll what, fight like once every two years, because of injuries and what not......Psssh, no thanks.

The second best middleweight could probably get a lot out of a 195 lb. division.

Right, Chael?
Chael_Sonnen
6/19/12 8:47:35PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The second best middleweight could probably get a lot out of a 195 lb. division.

Right, Chael?

Wrong, lohmann,

AnDEE wouldn't do well at 195.
lohmann
6/19/12 8:50:24PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Right, Chael?

Wrong, lohmann,

AnDEE wouldn't do well at 195.

Andy at 195?

Can't remember the last time anybody in the UFC held two titles at once.
lll-lll
6/19/12 10:59:13PM
Rich is one of my favs, but fo real, they could put a class in every 2 lbs and he wouldnt hold a belt His time has passed. Stay on the senior circuit fighting the Wanderleis of the world.
frizzzlecake
6/20/12 2:46:09AM
It's called RumbleWeight Dummy.*uses Chael voice*