Rich Franklin on UFC 93 main event: "I thought I won the fight"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin on UFC 93 main event: "I thought I won the fight"
Next Page »
CwB
1/20/09 5:28:33PM
Rich Franklin left his Jan. 17 UFC 93 main-event fight with two gashes in his head, nine stitches, a scratched cornea, blurry vision, a temporary eye patch and a stinging defeat.

In his first interview since the split-decision defeat to Dan Henderson, Franklin said his wounds will heal just fine. However, disappointment over the loss won't.

"Honestly, I thought I won the fight," Franklin said.

Linky
Gipper
1/20/09 5:49:24PM
both guys should say they won the fight in these cases. i thought they both looked good. i think hendo won 29-28 and not because he's one of my favorite fighters.
like i've said before there should be more draws in the ufc the hendo-franklin fight could have been one of them and also a fight i thought lytle had the upper hand in could of easily been a draw too. it's shitty that some of these guys get loses for great performances. it's been the story of chris lytle's life.
some other high profile fights rescently in the ufc that could have easily been draws:
gsp-penn
griffin-bonnar I
jackson-hendo
guida-t.griffin
ortiz-f.griffin
arlovski-sylvia III
grove-herman
bisping-hammill
liddell-jardine
gartface
1/20/09 5:50:03PM
haggiswashere
1/20/09 5:55:58PM

Posted by Gipper
some other high profile fights rescently in the ufc that could have easily been draws:
bisping-hammill

Are you joking? Should have been a bisping loss.....
haggiswashere
1/20/09 5:58:20PM
It was a very very close fight and i would have hated to have to pick a clear cut winner. I want to see another awesome rivalry like Arlovski/ Sylvia, Chuck/Randy, Hughes/GSP. I think Rich/Hendo would be an awesome friendly rivalry
Aether
1/20/09 6:00:24PM
I don't know, I thought it was pretty clear that he lost the first 2 rounds. the second round was close but he still did less than Dan.
kasual
1/20/09 6:16:44PM
Sorry for Rich, but he should know how the judging in the UFC goes. Dan won on take downs, control and some ground and pound damage. Dan won the first two rounds, in the third I'm sure RIch's corner must have told him that he needed to go out there and finish it. Rich won the round on that aggression, but he's not in a position to drop Hendo, he's just too tough for that. If this fight was in Pride I bet Rich would have won, in that system the conclusion of the fight is weighed more heavily.

Nothing against Rich here, it's just there is only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185 and he could definitely beat Anderson. Hell, if it weren't for Dan being a bit undersized, compared to the massive 205's in the UFC, he could be dominant there too. The UFC loves wrestlers and the octagon is designed to reflect that bias. Quest perfected that game.
MaxOne
1/20/09 6:36:13PM
I need to watch it again. at the time i was 100 percent sure franklin won the fight. I thought it was close but I was sure franklin won the last 2 rounds and was totally surprised by the fact that they gave it to hendo. I don't see how any judge could have given franklin round one.

hopefully i can watch it again this weekend right before the affliction card starts.

casey64
1/20/09 6:36:25PM
This was a close fight no doubt, but I think the calling was right,Hendo won.
tallica62
1/20/09 6:49:41PM

Posted by kasual

Sorry for Rich, but he should know how the judging in the UFC goes. Dan won on take downs, control and some ground and pound damage. Dan won the first two rounds, in the third I'm sure RIch's corner must have told him that he needed to go out there and finish it. Rich won the round on that aggression, but he's not in a position to drop Hendo, he's just too tough for that. If this fight was in Pride I bet Rich would have won, in that system the conclusion of the fight is weighed more heavily.

Nothing against Rich here, it's just there is only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185 and he could definitely beat Anderson. Hell, if it weren't for Dan being a bit undersized, compared to the massive 205's in the UFC, he could be dominant there too. The UFC loves wrestlers and the octagon is designed to reflect that bias. Quest perfected that game.

i think franklin won strictly speaking in a "fight" manner, but like you said, the way UFC scores thing and what not, he lost...i think he out fought henderson, although not by much at all, but henderson got more points... same as in any sport...you can outplay your opponent, but in the end, its points that win
Sir_Karl
1/20/09 6:50:20PM
I agree with one of the dudes above me.
There definitely needs to be more draws.
A few close split decision losses could cost a fighter his career...or at least his opportunities in the big leagues.
I think Franklin won the fight though.
All Hendo did was take him down a few times.
I think Franklin won the stand up sequences, nullified Hendo on the ground and for the most part reversed or got out of Hendo's ground game.

grappler0000
1/20/09 7:05:02PM

Posted by kasual

...only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185...

Regardless of who you thought won the fight on Saturday, it was a close fight...so, I'm not sure that I would agree that Dan is peerless at 185 (excluding Anderson). If that was the case, it would have been a dominant victory. Aside from Anderson and Rich though, I don't see too many people giving him a problem in the UFC at MW.
wrona666
1/20/09 7:23:56PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kasual

...only one man in the middleweight division that has the tools to put Hendo away. Aside from that, I see Dan as being pretty much peerless at 185...

Regardless of who you thought won the fight on Saturday, it was a close fight...so, I'm not sure that I would agree that Dan is peerless at 185 (excluding Anderson). If that was the case, it would have been a dominant victory. Aside from Anderson and Rich though, I don't see too many people giving him a problem in the UFC at MW.

I dont know i'd like to see Hendo fight Marquart I think that would be a damn good fight IMO.....
decken
1/20/09 7:39:30PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

A few close split decision losses could cost a fighter his career...or at least his opportunities in the big leagues.
I think Franklin won the stand up sequences, nullified Hendo on the ground and for the most part reversed or got out of Hendo's ground game.

I strongly disagree about there being more draws allowed. What should happen (I am stealing this from someone but can not remember who) is they should go to a half point system where a fighter can get 9.5 to 10 point rounds and if in the case there is a tie they should got to a 4th round to break the tie. @#$% Draws. This will benefit people who actually train correctly and we would see less of shogun and coleman gassing because everyone would train for 4 rounds instead of 3!
ohiostate1016
1/20/09 7:56:42PM

Posted by decken

Posted by Sir_Karl

I strongly disagree about there being more draws allowed. What should happen (I am stealing this from someone but can not remember who) is they should go to a half point system where a fighter can get 9.5 to 10 point rounds and if in the case there is a tie they should got to a 4th round to break the tie. @#$% Draws. This will benefit people who actually train correctly and we would see less of shogun and coleman gassing because everyone would train for 4 rounds instead of 3!

Honestly, I don't think that either one of these options makes sense.

The sport of MMA in America needs to realize that a boxing scoring system does not work for this sport. The fight should be judged as a whole - there's no other way to put it.
postman
1/20/09 8:00:45PM
It was a great fight and if they would have said Rich won I would have been ok with it. However I had it 29-28 Hendo.
dreius
1/20/09 8:35:31PM
It drives me nuts that there are not more 10/10 rounds in this sport. I totally had the first round as a 10/10 and then Hendo won the second and Franklin won the third. In the end I wasn't surprised that Hendo won but I would have scored it a draw. I think if this fight would have been a five rounder that Franklin would have definitely won it as long as that eye poke didn't take him out.
dannyfrank
1/20/09 8:40:07PM
i may be wrong but i dont think that you are allowed to score a round 10/10 in the ten point system. i think you have to pick a winner for each round
jakeiceman
1/20/09 8:45:58PM

Posted by dannyfrank

i may be wrong but i dont think that you are allowed to score a round 10/10 in the ten point system. i think you have to pick a winner for each round

Actually I think there is a scenario where a round can be scored 10/10 I'm pretty sure its in the UFC rules but you would have to look it up. I've seen it posted in an earlier thread.
Aether
1/20/09 9:03:17PM
10 10 rounds are possible.
im2fast4u1981
1/20/09 9:26:35PM
10/10 rounds have happened before...how do u think draws happen...I hate split decisions i think if one of three judges think one guy won the fight there should b another round....I think Hendo won the fight but would have liked 2 see a clear ending............... The guy who said Hamill beat Bisping...i sallute u... there is no way in hell bisping won that fight
Dragonscale
1/20/09 10:37:04PM

Here is my problem... if that fight goes 5 rounds, rich dominates. Hendo was done after 2.
xAcidburNx
1/20/09 11:15:02PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by decken

Posted by Sir_Karl

Honestly, I don't think that either one of these options makes sense.

The sport of MMA in America needs to realize that a boxing scoring system does not work for this sport. The fight should be judged as a whole - there's no other way to put it.

PRIDE had it down pact i think.
grappler0000
1/20/09 11:45:56PM

Posted by xAcidburNx

The ten point must system has its flaws, but the Pride judging was just as flawed, if not more so. When you judge a fight as a whole, there is no accountability for how you came to your conclusion...hence fights like Nog over Ricco.

Greene33
1/21/09 1:16:27AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by xAcidburNx

The ten point must system has its flaws, but the Pride judging was just as flawed, if not more so. When you judge a fight as a whole, there is no accountability for how you came to your conclusion...hence fights like Nog over Ricco.

Every scoring system will have its bullshit, anytime you have Cecil Peoples scoring the bout or the Yakuza running the show you can expect some inconsistencies. I for one loved Pride for the scoring system and the yellow cards, the two things i wish the UFC would adopt.
joshjr
1/21/09 4:19:16AM
I thought Hendo won 29-28. I dont think Rich did enough to win the fight. Dan was the one really pusing the action in the first 2 rounds and took Rich down alot. Easy to see how Dan won and I like both fighters. I always knew Franklin would have a hard time with the better fighters.
xAcidburNx
1/21/09 9:18:14AM

Posted by joshjr

I thought Hendo won 29-28. I dont think Rich did enough to win the fight. Dan was the one really pusing the action in the first 2 rounds and took Rich down alot. Easy to see how Dan won and I like both fighters. I always knew Franklin would have a hard time with the better fighters.

if that went into the champ rounds franklin would have won. that is if he was capaple of seeing after that eyepoke though.but none the less it went down how it did.end of story. but i would love to see rich go back down to 185 now. 2 more wins in that weight division and he should get a title shot. by that time anderson will be retiring so itd be perfect timing i think. then more than likely he and dan can have a rematch for a title
4u2nv
1/21/09 9:35:55AM
I couldn't have said it better. I;m sure that spilt des could have went to a draw or they should make it one more round if it draws. Maybe up to the fighters if their willing. IDK! i just didnt like that out come.
Aether
1/21/09 5:16:01PM
I don't think anyone can claim that because rich turned the momentum in the final round that Dan would've lost in a 5 round fight. That's not really very sound logic. There are many factors to consider. Maybe Dan felt he had the fight in the bag and slowed his pace as a result, at the same time maybe franklin only picked it up because he realized it was do or die. Who's to say that Dan wouldn't have lost the third round and come back out to win the fourth? They also would have trained very differently for a title fight.

I don't see how you can say "rich would've won the fight" with any real confidence just because he won the last round. Anything could have happened.
xAcidburNx
1/21/09 6:30:48PM

Posted by Aether

I don't think anyone can claim that because rich turned the momentum in the final round that Dan would've lost in a 5 round fight. That's not really very sound logic. There are many factors to consider. Maybe Dan felt he had the fight in the bag and slowed his pace as a result, at the same time maybe franklin only picked it up because he realized it was do or die. Who's to say that Dan wouldn't have lost the third round and come back out to win the fourth? They also would have trained very differently for a title fight.

I don't see how you can say "rich would've won the fight" with any real confidence just because he won the last round. Anything could have happened.

if that were the case no one would just stfu and just read posts instead of writing their opinion. im pretty sure we all know that we cannot say for sure what would have happened if the fight went it. no one can tell the future. capt. obviouse much
Pages: [1] 2