Rich Franklin's Eye, Post Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin's Eye, Post Fight
Next Page »
BrutalKnockOut
1/20/09 9:12:09AM
Franklin's Eye Looks Awful

This is what Rich Franklin's eye looked like just a few days after the eye poke he received from Dan Henderson, pretty nasty.
casey64
1/20/09 9:31:42AM
Man that has to hurt.
4u2nv
1/20/09 9:47:52AM
wow i know he bruises easy but that easy is nasty. I still dont think Hendo quite won that one.
postman
1/20/09 10:10:53AM
I can't belive they are questioning if it was intentional!
Aaronno9
1/20/09 10:17:46AM
Wow, that was pretty bad. I mean, I know Dan didnt mean to do it (well, I hope not) but when you throw your hand out like that and your fingers arent closed what the hell do you expect to happen? Im seeing it more and more lately and it sucks when fights end becouse of it. It was the first time ive ever really seen Franklin pissed when the ref wouldnt even give him time to recover.
sparky
1/20/09 10:31:19AM
That is so nasty!!!!
BDON911
1/20/09 10:33:52AM
ouch
grappler0000
1/20/09 10:43:32AM
Made my eyes water just looking at it.
Boo_Radley21
1/20/09 11:10:22AM
Ew. That shit is awful.
gartface
1/20/09 11:10:31AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Wow, that was pretty bad. I mean, I know Dan didnt mean to do it (well, I hope not) but when you throw your hand out like that and your fingers arent closed what the hell do you expect to happen? Im seeing it more and more lately and it sucks when fights end becouse of it. It was the first time ive ever really seen Franklin pissed when the ref wouldnt even give him time to recover.

In Kevin Burns' case, he was using an open handed jab. But with Hendo and a lot of other guys who use that open hand, I think it's an attempt to parry blows.

Darnok
1/20/09 11:33:12AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Aaronno9

In Kevin Burns' case, he was using an open handed jab. But with Hendo and a lot of other guys who use that open hand, I think it's an attempt to parry blows.

We end up with the same argument as with groin strikes. My opinion is if you can't aim it don't throw it. And in the case of the open hand parry, if you have your hand open and up near a guys face during a fight what do you think will happen.

I think there should be a point deduction even for accidental blows if they cause too much damage. Because the fighter is not going to be the same afterwards.

Anyways, I don't think it would have changed the outcome.
tallica62
1/20/09 11:38:46AM
looks pretty bad but for some reason that doesnt look like franklin...not that i know what he looks like up close, but the nose seems too wide and large...and the eyebrows arent what i expected from franklin up close..haha..now let the gay comments come i know..
Manak
1/20/09 11:49:00AM

Posted by Darnok

We end up with the same argument as with groin strikes. My opinion is if you can't aim it don't throw it. And in the case of the open hand parry, if you have your hand open and up near a guys face during a fight what do you think will happen.

I think there should be a point deduction even for accidental blows if they cause too much damage. Because the fighter is not going to be the same afterwards.

Anyways, I don't think it would have changed the outcome.

nothing good can come from having an open hand towards the fighters face.
DevonFoxy
1/20/09 12:04:02PM
Honestly this is a stupid argument. No way did he mean to do it and Rich knows that. Henderson did it through out the fight extending his hand with fingers not in a fist. Leave it alone it didnt change the fight because there was less than a minute left in the fight!!!! your gonna take a point away for that???? Ridiculous.
xphycorx
1/20/09 12:14:44PM

Posted by tallica62

looks pretty bad but for some reason that doesnt look like franklin...not that i know what he looks like up close, but the nose seems too wide and large...and the eyebrows arent what i expected from franklin up close..haha..now let the gay comments come i know..

i agree. i don't think that's franklin either.
postman
1/20/09 12:15:56PM
Don't forget you don't clinch with a closed fist. haveing your hand open or not could be the dif between getting the clinch and not getting it.
Sir_Karl
1/20/09 1:25:53PM
It's obviously Franklin in the photos. Yes that does look quite gruesome and painful. In most cases including this one it is purely accidental. The fighters are moving back and forth, punching, blocking and parrying etc.
These kinds of things happen. Groin shots are no different. You can tell what is intentional and what isn't. Henderson didn't mean to poke his eye.
It wasn't like the Burns/Johnson fiasco at all, nor was it like Kongo's last fight...in which I feel he delivered an intentional retaliatory knee to the groin of his opponent.
Personally I felt Franklin won the fight.
Aaronno9
1/20/09 1:27:55PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Honestly this is a stupid argument. No way did he mean to do it and Rich knows that. Henderson did it through out the fight extending his hand with fingers not in a fist. Leave it alone it didnt change the fight because there was less than a minute left in the fight!!!! your gonna take a point away for that???? Ridiculous.

I didnt once say it would of changed the fight, nor did I say Dan should have lost a point, im just stating my opinion, and i agree with Darnok about it needing to be handled better.

If you think throwing an open hand into somebodies face is ok, thats cool.
gsquat
1/20/09 1:39:06PM
Whether or not he intended to do it, it's apparent how bad it was. The fight should've been stopped and Hendo DQ'd.
tuvok500
1/20/09 1:41:35PM
I think an eye poke with the result that a fighter stop fighting should be call a major fault and cost a point.
If the eye poke barely touch and the fighter who received it only noticed it and is not affected enough to stop fighting, a warning is enough.

And being TKO by eye poke like Johnson was is just ridiculous, they should change the rule, or add some clarification to eliminate those kind of joking result.

Wolfenstein
1/20/09 1:52:12PM

Posted by tallica62

The pictures are posted at his official website Richfranklin.com so it's the real deal.

Yarrrrr Danny I'll getchee next time!
fizzle
1/20/09 1:55:19PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
The pictures are posted at his official website Richfranklin.com so it's the real deal.

Yarrrrr Danny I'll getchee next time!

Nice pillow Rich
gabe531
1/20/09 2:02:23PM

Posted by gsquat

Whether or not he intended to do it, it's apparent how bad it was. The fight should've been stopped and Hendo DQ'd.

dq a guy for winning 14 mins of the fight? if anything stop it and goto judges if the fight cant go on. dq for something done on purpose is one thing but why would the guy whos winning the fight with under a minute to go do that?? if he gets rich in the clinch then its a moot point. thats how dirty boxing works, you dont do it from the outside you have to get inside. if you grab the guys head with a closed fist then that wont work.

its a freaking accident. you want to prevent these kind of accidents then watch boxing where the gloves are not open fingered. until then the ACCIDENTAL eye poke will continue to happen as well as the groin shots (ban leg kicks below the mid section too??) and shots to the back of the head (stand them up if someone takes back control or just ban punching from that position?)
tlangley
1/20/09 2:57:49PM
His eye always looks awful...one of them at least
MrGreeny
1/20/09 3:38:12PM
Damn, he is just soooo out of luck.
First his nose, than his eye.
I'm expecting a James Thompson-like ear explosion in his next fight...

Btw, I too thought Rich won the fight.
haggiswashere
1/20/09 3:42:04PM

motorboatensob
1/20/09 3:50:31PM

Posted by 4u2nv

wow i know he bruises easy but that easy is nasty. I still dont think Hendo quite won that one.

Thank god that happened at the end of the fight. is a way about Hendo wining I think they really need to do something about giving so much points off take downs. If you don't do any thing with it you shouldn't get the points. I train MMA and it is a lot easier to get a take down than it is to get up from one. So if you take someone down and don't do any thing with it and the other person gets up it should be no points. Its like I could throw a 100 punches but not land any do I get points for that no.
xAcidburNx
1/20/09 4:07:06PM
who says it didnt change the outcome. rich was pouring it on and landed a really good one just as he got poked. thus giving hendo time to recover. you never know
higdon10
1/20/09 4:10:15PM
Thats nasty.
gsquat
1/20/09 4:10:41PM

Posted by gabe531

Posted by gsquat

dq a guy for winning 14 mins of the fight? if anything stop it and goto judges if the fight cant go on. dq for something done on purpose is one thing but why would the guy whos winning the fight with under a minute to go do that?? if he gets rich in the clinch then its a moot point. thats how dirty boxing works, you dont do it from the outside you have to get inside. if you grab the guys head with a closed fist then that wont work.

its a freaking accident. you want to prevent these kind of accidents then watch boxing where the gloves are not open fingered. until then the ACCIDENTAL eye poke will continue to happen as well as the groin shots (ban leg kicks below the mid section too??) and shots to the back of the head (stand them up if someone takes back control or just ban punching from that position?)

Sorry you feel this way. How bout a NC then? I don't feel a point taken away would've been a sufficient consequence. Accident or not, his illegal action permanently (for the remainder of the fight) and severly affected Franklin's ability to fight.
Pages: [1] 2