Rich Franklin discusses an unclear future

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin discusses an unclear future
whardin19
4/24/08 12:45:43PM
I found an article where Rich Franklin discusses his future opponents in the UFC. He dismisses two figthers right off the bat check out who the are. I'm also wondering on his next opponent. Rich is in a bad spot, being beat by the top guy twice already.

LINK
Manak
4/24/08 12:58:17PM
rich is in a tough spot but this statement he says is true but i also think he knows anderson has his #
"Anybody that were to lose a title shot, if they were to win two or three times, it would be enough to put back in contention," explained Franklin. "However in my case, now that I have lost to [Silva] twice, I don't think it changes the number of wins because (even) if I won six times, I'm not sure if that's a fight the public wants to see."

i think rich v nate would be an awesome match
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/24/08 1:02:21PM
I'd like to see a fight vs Tanner actually, I know he's got one coming up vs Grove and that he already lost twice against Franklin but even then an eventual bout between those 2 IMO would be a killer one. Especially if and probably when Tanner kills Grove, it'll give him the necessary confidence to face Ace. It's obvious that Rich could never beat Silva and that's that but he still does stay a very worthy opponent for anyone at this point in his career. Id even call him the rogan made famous expression Gatekeeper. I always enjoyed watching Rich fight, always was a fan. Hope he keeps it up for a least a couple years.
MondayNiteMauser
4/24/08 1:18:10PM
Rich should get the winner of Bisping and Leben....
stock
4/24/08 1:20:05PM
Yeah, nobody wants Anderson to change weight classes more-so than Rich.
However, I think Rich will be forced to fight Anderson again if they both win 2 more fights in a row. The UFC cannot be in the situation of continuously allowing #2 contenders to get title shots.

I think the Marquardt fight makes the most sense next.
Then, the winner of Leben/Bisping.
Then, Anderson (again) or the person who defeats anderson (by some miracle).
Aaronno9
4/24/08 1:40:36PM
Rich raises a good point about who he can actually fight. The ufc cant really put guys up against him who they want to fight anderson, becouse if he beats them, then their obviously not going to go from a loss to a title shot, and rich isnt going to be getting another title shot soon. So Its not just that he cant fight the champ anymore, its a difficult situation for him fighting contenders to becouse itd be like a one way number one contender match. If franklin wins, nothing, but if his opponent wins title shot.
casey64
4/24/08 1:47:38PM

Posted by stock

Yeah, nobody wants Anderson to change weight classes more-so than Rich.
However, I think Rich will be forced to fight Anderson again if they both win 2 more fights in a row. The UFC cannot be in the situation of continuously allowing #2 contenders to get title shots.

I think the Marquardt fight makes the most sense next.
Then, the winner of Leben/Bisping.
Then, Anderson (again) or the person who defeats anderson (by some miracle).

SmileR
4/24/08 2:22:51PM
I really hope Rich doesn't retire or move weight, he's easily a top 3 MW in the UFC.
I think a fight between him and Hendo would be awesome not to mention he'd pretty much destroy anyone below him. If Hendo was given a rematch theirs still a very real chance he could take the belt from Silva an then Rich could win the belt back, but that all hinges on Hendo or someone else winning the belt.
Either way Franklin is a great fighter with a heart like a lion an talent to burn, its just a shame Silva has his number.

I wish him well whatever he does!
WAR Rich!!!!
bam383
4/24/08 2:33:27PM
Rich is constantly referred to as such a classy guy and good for the sport, and this is just another interview where he proves all this to be true.

What he says is 100% correct, and he's not shy about it. He's in a tough spot, but he's handling it well. As he puts more and more wins together, maybe someone will beat Silva and Rich can get a title shot, and then get his 3rd crack at Silva and possibly defend the belt, or give it back to it's rightful owner.

babytater03
4/24/08 2:41:05PM
but what does the UFC do in the interim?
it's not like they have a TON of guys that are moving up the ladder, are possible contenders, and Rich hasn't fought them or beat a guy who has beat them.

Rich and Zuffa are going to have to pull something out of their a$$ for the next year if Rich and Spider keep winning.
pv3Hpv3p
4/24/08 2:43:26PM
It's a shame... I see Rich destroying most middle weights, but it doesn't seem like he'll ever be able to get past Anderson... Sure puts him in a weird spot... Personally think he should get Grove, Ed Herman... Or maybe even Almieda if he loses to Cote...

SIDENOTE: I'd really like to see Patrick Cote string a couple more wins together and take a shot at Anderson... he's probably got the most solid chin in the division, and might actually be able to test Anderson's [chin]...
Tein_Lung
4/24/08 3:01:52PM
Rich is the solid number 2 in the MW div... its just that Anderson is kriptonite for him... but at the same time Rich cannot be called a "gatekeeper" simply because the only guy that can beat him happens to be the champ... Its like Rich is easily a level or 2 higher then everyone in MW except for Silva who is a level higher then Rich
GrandMaster313
4/24/08 4:32:07PM
i dont see him moving to 205 so i think if he cut to 170 there would be a good fight against St. Pierre
babytater03
4/24/08 4:38:55PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

i dont see him moving to 205 so i think if he cut to 155 there would be a good fight against St. Pierre

ummmm.......
170???
GrandMaster313
4/24/08 4:40:18PM
your right sorry
pv3Hpv3p
4/24/08 5:07:36PM
No offense guys... But I think rich would have to sever limbs to get down to 170
coldchillin
4/24/08 5:09:14PM
he should fight Dan Henderson next...
GrandMaster313
4/24/08 5:15:48PM
look if Bisping can loose 20 Lbs. I think franklin can loose 15 Lbs.
Tein_Lung
4/24/08 5:22:28PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

dude he walks around at like 210-215... he drops a ton of weight to get to 185 its not possible for him to go to WW he could giht 205.. but hes the number 2 MW in the world by a long shot.. he is as good as Anderson he just can;t beat him its a style thing
Lethal
4/24/08 6:17:17PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by GrandMaster313

dude he walks around at like 210-215... he drops a ton of weight to get to 185 its not possible for him to go to WW he could giht 205.. but hes the number 2 MW in the world by a long shot.. he is as good as Anderson he just can;t beat him its a style thing

I agree, you also have to remember that Bisping wasn' t the most solid 205.
Sir_Karl
4/24/08 6:18:52PM
As a Cote fan I kind of took offense to his statements.
Cote would whack him once or twice and Franklin would immediately want to take it to the ground.
If Cote could stop Franklin from taking him down....."Ace" will go nighty night....guaranteed!
I think Franklin knows that.
At this point Franklin is only going to take fights he is 100% sure he can win.

jae_1833
4/24/08 7:32:40PM
I disagree with the him picking fights he's 100% gauranteed to win comment, but I have an idea how to fix this....when a champ losses a title and gets his rematch, then losses a second time....you've got to re-rank them. This is why we need an accurate ranking system. Not only for the UFC either....other "big" orgs too, although they do have it easier.
juanez13
4/24/08 7:45:48PM
at people that are saying that Rich can cut down to 170, its like saying Sylvia can cut down to 205
Pookie
4/24/08 7:55:34PM

Posted by juanez13

at people that are saying that Rich can cut down to 170, its like saying Sylvia can cut down to 205

or saying that Silva could make 170.

As someone said earlier Franklin cuts from about 215 to 220.
jakeiceman
4/24/08 8:07:23PM
First off whoever it was who called Franklin a "gatekeeper" is a "numbnuts" he is arguably #2 at middle weight in the world. Secondly Silva does seem to have his number but you cannot say that Franklin will never be able to beat Silva. Like has been said, he is just as good as him but Silva's style of fighting gives Rich a ton of trouble. That being said Rich is a smart guy and he looked better in thier second fight (even though it ended with the same results) who is to say he wont learn from the last two fights and put a gameplan together to beat Silva the third time around. I have faith in him, MMA is crazy a fight can end in with one shot and Franklin has the skill and power to land the shot, he just hasnt been able to do it yet. And there is noway he is cuttin to 170 the poor guy would look like the crypt keeper. With all this said, no-one in the division can handle him other that Silva....and I think he can get catch Silva....but who knows!
EON
4/24/08 8:51:22PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I'd like to see a fight vs Tanner actually, I know he's got one coming up vs Grove and that he already lost twice against Franklin but even then an eventual bout between those 2 IMO would be a killer one. Especially if and probably when Tanner kills Grove, it'll give him the necessary confidence to face Ace. It's obvious that Rich could never beat Silva and that's that but he still does stay a very worthy opponent for anyone at this point in his career. Id even call him the rogan made famous expression Gatekeeper. I always enjoyed watching Rich fight, always was a fan. Hope he keeps it up for a least a couple years.

he beat tanner twice.........................
jgtribbett
4/24/08 10:11:11PM
hendo vs franklin..
loller90278
4/24/08 11:33:43PM
kampmann should have 1 or 2 more fights, one being franklin.. if he wins, give him silva.. i think he could put up a good fight
xAcidburNx
4/25/08 4:06:16AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

As a Cote fan I kind of took offense to his statements.
Cote would whack him once or twice and Franklin would immediately want to take it to the ground.
If Cote could stop Franklin from taking him down....."Ace" will go nighty night....guaranteed!
I think Franklin knows that.
At this point Franklin is only going to take fights he is 100% sure he can win.

im a cote fan as well but i refuse to believe that his power or chin will have any more effect on silva than chris leben did.i do see improvement in his game and hes still very young so he has time to reach such a lvl.and i think you misinterpreted what franklin was saying. he was merely stating that it was unwise as a business point for the ufc to pit there title contenders against rich because if rich beats them then they have no new people to challenge their 185 lb king.im still having trouble figuring out what there gonna do if okami cant pull it off.even though i like okami i just dont see him beating silva.okami could pull off a decision maybe if he got lucky and it was only 3 rounds. but i just dont see how he could finish silva.5 rounds of having to take the kind of abuse anderson dishes out.i dont see anyone taking him to a decision.