Rich Franklin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rich Franklin
POLL: Should Rich Franklin retire?
Yes 34% (12)
No 66% (23)
mcdonald_samuel7
2/9/13 1:16:36PM
Hey Guys

I'm a huge Franklin fan and I just wanna get your viewpoints on where he stands atm, what you believe his future entails? Personally I think he should fight on, I believe he has quite a bit left in the tank. I see great interesting matchups in the future. Although he has 1 fight left on his contract, do you think his next fight may be his last?
airkerma
2/9/13 1:55:38PM
I hate to say it, but I think his career has run its course. That last knock out was just awful.
Boo_Radley21
2/9/13 2:10:43PM
I'm on the fence because he always steps up and puts on exciting fight but nobody wants to see him take the Chuck way out
prozacnation1978
2/9/13 2:25:29PM
Rich franklin is a company man a fan favorite and a very nice person

I wish his last fight will be in Vegas in July
And the Ufc inducts him into the hall of fame

If he has one fight left at middleweight
Maybe him vs tim boetsch or winner or bisping vs belcher
sbulldavid
2/9/13 2:38:36PM
If he suffers another bad knockout, he should consider walking away but he's still a top 15 middleweight and still a fan favorite.
Poor_Franklin
2/9/13 3:12:50PM

Posted by sbulldavid

If he suffers another bad knockout, he should consider walking away but he's still a top 15 middleweight and still a fan favorite.

agreed. he isnt going on another title run, but still makes for some fun matchups. he got KOd by Cung Le, Belfort & Anderson....not the worst strikers in the world.

he stays in fantastic shape year round & isnt in it to cash checks.

i vote no, but as previously said, if he gets KOd brutally again, i'd probably vote yes.
Chael_Sonnen
2/9/13 3:23:38PM
Franklin v Bisping....make it happen Daddy Dana.

Math Teacher vs #1 Contender, turned B-Actor
JLS1980
2/9/13 3:50:02PM
I voted no. He's very close though. He's had a nice career. Give him 1 or 2 more winnable fights and have him go out on a good note and get inducted into the Hall of Fame.
hotrodttt
2/9/13 4:42:31PM
I agree that his career has run its course in correlation with the dominance that he once showed, but I believe he can still beat 80-90 percent of the UFC middleweights. He just needs to keep his chin down. I'd like to see him fight in Vegas like Prozac said, a fight with Costa Phillipou doesn't make sense but it would be entertaining, or match him with a guy like Jacare who would struggle to take Franklin down which would showcase his striking.
shaneTpain
2/9/13 6:21:52PM
Poor_Franklin
2/9/13 6:34:49PM
that's just brutal, shane
tcunningham
2/9/13 6:50:47PM
i said no, i think he can make some good fights at MW. unfortunately fro rich, being a former champ, will probably get nothing but some savage up and comer. if he get KO'd again i think he needs to call it quits. i hate saying when fighters should retire because it's ultimately up to them, but i also hate seeing great fighters go out getting KTFO a bunch of times.
shaneTpain
2/9/13 7:20:44PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

my bad! i just thought we should all see it again

but for the record: i love Rich & i hope he doesn't retire for a long time. he got plenty left in him
Poor_Franklin
2/9/13 8:58:35PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Posted by Poor_Franklin

my bad! i just thought we should all see it again

but for the record: i love Rich & i hope he doesn't retire for a long time. he got plenty left in him

let's brighten it up a bit for us Franklin fans!!!!

\

Pookie
2/9/13 9:56:17PM
Rich in his prime would have been KO'd by that strike. His stance and defensive habits have always been attrocious against Southpaws. He got away with it against orthodox fighters because the right hand is too far away to counter.

With that said, Rich still beats okami and boetsch, still loses to every southpaw striker, gives Belcher and Bisping close fights and serves as the ultimate yardstick for new guys like Phillipou.

I think he should absolutely stay around. At 185 specifically.

LightsOUT23
2/10/13 11:16:06AM
I think he should retire and make Ace Ventura 3 !!!
Bubbles
2/10/13 4:56:18PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Rich tried giving Cung a high five for that punch
jae_1833
2/10/13 10:07:36PM
I kind of view him as the "old school" version of Michael Bisping...just a much different person outside the cage. Same style of fighting though. I'd love to see vs Bisping before he retires!
babalu46
2/11/13 7:15:30AM
I voted yes because he's one of my favourite fighters and I just don't want him giving himself lasting damage from being knocked out one too many times.

There's no doubt in my mind he's still a great fighter and can beat some good competition out there but if your not going for the title and your a legend like he is what is the need to keep fighting?
jay98107
2/17/13 3:40:27PM
Talent wise he's still got it which is why I voted no, but you have to wonder about the jaw. 5 of his 7 career losses have been by knockout, which isn't a death sentence or anything but it is telling, not to mention he's a stand up fighter who is going to eat some shots no matter what. At a certain point, your card has been punched too many times.