Ribeiro fighting for his life...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ribeiro fighting for his life...
Hendo67
12/17/08 2:54:31PM
World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight title contender Will Ribeiro suffered life-threatening injuries during an early morning motorcycle accident in Rio de Janeiro, according to a report on the WEC’s official website.

The report, which cites Ribeiro’s manager Ed Soares, states that the Brazilian fighter was a passenger on a motorcycle and was not wearing a helmet. At the time of the accident, it is believed that the motorcycle was riding down a road that was slippery as a result of rain.

A former member of the Brazilian Olympic boxing team, Ribeiro was immediately rushed to a local hospital, where he’s currently in a comatose state.

“My assistant said that the doctor said for sure that he (Ribeiro) has lost sight in one of his eyes,” Soares is quoted as saying by the WEC. “He’s still in a coma. After surgery the doctor said there is a 50-50 shot that he will come out of it (survive).”

Ribeiro, 10-2, recently competed at WEC 37 on Dec. 3, losing to Brian Bowles via submission in the third round. In spite of the loss, he remains one of the most highly-regarded featherweight prospects in the world.

“He’s a very positive guy, very hard-working, a good person,” Soares is quoted. “He had had a very rough life. His mother passed away like seven years ago and he took over the care of his younger sister. He’s like a father-brother-mother to her … I’m still crushed right now.”
bojangalz
12/17/08 2:57:46PM
truely sad news. Hope everything works out for the best.
Franklinfan47
12/17/08 3:27:09PM
ncordless
12/17/08 4:38:48PM
That is horrible... and he is a bantamweight.

Rollins
12/17/08 8:23:49PM
I hate hearing about this kind of stuff. Thanks for the post though.
cmill21
12/17/08 8:41:58PM
He'll be in my prayers.