Never Back Down Review

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Never Back Down Review
DCRage
3/13/08 12:22:12PM
A Mania correspondent got free passes to see the MMA movie "Never Back Down" last night ahead of it opening Friday. If you want to know how good/bad it is (and maybe be just a little spoiled, but there are only a couple minor spoilers), click below...

Movie Review

It's basically what we were thinking-if you're a die-hard MMA fan, you'll probably hate it. If you're a teenager, the film's apparent target demo, you'll go see it and make it the surprise #1 film this weekend.
three_days_of_grey
3/13/08 1:56:41PM
I never had any intention on seeing this movie because:
1) I was actually alive when Karate Kid was released and dont need to see an oppurtunistic re-make from Dawsons Creek or 90210 or whatever lame shit teenyboppers watch nowadays.
2) The movie trailers look dumb as hell.

I am saddened that Djimon Hounsou is in it and I can only hope that his debt is now pais off. He is one of my favorite actors and far too good to be in this steaming pile of movie. If they wanted a foreigner with an accent, that Crocodile Dundee guy is looking for work.. or hell, David Beckham lives in L.A. now........

-OUT-
SpiderSilva
3/13/08 2:46:58PM
boo this movie
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jackelope
3/13/08 3:08:42PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

1) I was actually alive when Karate Kid was released and dont need to see an oppurtunistic re-make from Dawsons Creek or 90210 or whatever lame shit teenyboppers watch nowadays.

I am saddened that Djimon Hounsou is in it and I can only hope that his debt is now pais off. He is one of my favorite actors and far too good to be in this steaming pile of movie. If they wanted a foreigner with an accent, that Crocodile Dundee guy is looking for work.. or hell, David Beckham lives in L.A. now........

-OUT-

Seriously.. you spoke my thoughts 100% on all accounts
jiujitsufreak74
3/13/08 4:21:11PM
I hate when people stereotype the teen population. i for one am a teenager and this crap does not appeal to me. the whole underground "Need for Speed-esque" seen it draws on is something that isn't attractive to me. it is extremely cheesy imo and the whole beating the bad guy to win the girl just reminds me of every movie made in the 80's. that and the fact that they degrade the sport i love are the reasons why i won't enjoy. i have to see it so i can know what i am in for when my retarded friends see it and decided that they are now officially experts. it is good to know your enemies ammunition so i must see it...albeit with a tear in my eye. my soul will be devoured as i will force myself to view this trash.
pv3Hpv3p
3/13/08 4:53:06PM

-OUT-

-IN-

I think the big movie deals companies sign actors to has something to do with this... If you sign a whatever, let's say an 8 movie deal, I think you just want to bang out as many films as you can as quick as you can so you can renegotiate for bigger $$... At least that's my slant on why good actors take shitty roles
fullerene
3/14/08 8:26:21AM
Article on the training and some quotes by Hounsou:

http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10704416
Lord_Lenny
3/14/08 8:35:53AM
i havent seen it yet, and it still pisses me off. Because i know some of my friends will want to go, thinking that since i invite them to a few UFC's that i'll enjoy this movie.
DJDark41
3/14/08 5:44:07PM
This movie plays right into the ignorant peoples thought of, "MMA is sanctioned street fighting." In the commercial, the dude fights on a giant yatch, in a basement and a ton of other random locations. Great way to promote MMA as a legitimate sport, turn it into a street-fighting movie.
DCRage
3/15/08 5:15:21PM
The early box office report for the film is something like this: Last night (opening) it did an estimated $3.25 million, so the weekend estimate is $8-9 million. That's expected put it a fairly distant 3rd overall when the final numbers come out Monday (Horton Hears A Who? and 10,000 BC are expected to be the top 2). A better estimate should be available about this time tomorrow.
krthll1
3/16/08 12:40:51AM

Posted by DCRage

The early box office report for the film is something like this: Last night (opening) it did an estimated $3.25 million, so the weekend estimate is $8-9 million. That's expected put it a fairly distant 3rd overall when the final numbers come out Monday (Horton Hears A Who? and 10,000 BC are expected to be the top 2). A better estimate should be available about this time tomorrow.

I don't know if it will make more or not but when I went, the theater was fairly well packed. I also watched 10,000 BC and thought it was slightly boring. Plus the ending of 10,000 BC was fairly stupid.
krthll1
3/16/08 12:46:34AM

-OUT-

Djimon Hounsou is really good in his parts of the movie. He acts like an actual trainer. If any reason for you to watch the movie it would be to watch his acting in it. He really made the training parts of the movie worth watching. The movie really isn't as bad as you think it would be either. The music really sucks though.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/21/08 10:57:00PM
Never Back Down is about MMA as much as Ready 2 Rumble was about Wrestling.
WhiteWidow
3/22/08 1:32:07AM
never back down = fukn clown shoes

not even going to watch it anybody who likes it is a dumbminded fan of the sport and should be beaten in a parking lot while fighting drunk cuz i guess thats the cool thing to do these days, to do "Ultimate Fighting" in da streets to impress some idiot girl that dates a f-----g idiot who goats ppl into fighting, f--k that girl she aint worth it just leave the yacht and be a real man / champ

id rather drink gas and piss on a brushfire than see this
Pookie
3/26/08 8:40:03PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Never Back Down is about MMA as much as Ready 2 Rumble was about Wrestling.

ready to rumble was an awesome movie
bigbubbano23
4/23/08 11:27:56PM
i wont watch this movie because if i do they will make more like it and sodimize the mma world before it fully matures. i advise you to do the same