How the results may look if MMA was an Olympic Sport.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How the results may look if MMA was an Olympic Sport.
MMA-San
2/23/10 3:09:50AM
This was originally a topic I created on another MMA board. However, I'd like to share it with you. I also looked around, and nobody has ever attempted this type of project before. Which is suprising with all the MMA in the OLympics topics floating around the internet. Perhaps I could make a version for one of the frontpage articles...but alot more polished

Enjoy

This was an original reply to another post, but after toying with the idea I decided to make a more informative topic on the matter.

Introduction:
Now to hypothosize this scenario I'm going to use http://www.fightmatrix.com rankings system. This web-site have gained a reknown reputation as being the only rankings site that is completly unbiased. It uses a computer to rank fighters based on their Sherdog records. It updates everytime Sherdog updates its fighter database (so every week or so). It gives points based on win's/loss, method of win (KO, Sub, & Dec w/ regards to time and rounds), quality of opponent, title fights, ect. Anyhow, it would be the type of rankings system most similar to what the OLympics would reconize being as it has no human bias. I reconize the rankings are not perfect but they are the best thing to use for the following experiment...in any case even if the actual fighter earning the medal is disputed, the country isn't...as in most cases their are multiple countris ranked right after each other...for instance in the case of welterweight you don't get a thrid country until number 12.

Individual Performance:

Flyweight:
Gold-Jussier da Silva<Brazil>
Silver-Shinichi Kojima<Japan>
Bronze-Rambaa Somdet <Thailand>

Bantamweight:
Gold-Brian Bowles <USA>
Silver-Wagnney Fabiano <Brazil>
Bronze-Masakazu Imanari <Japan>

Featherweight:
Gold-Jose Aldo <Brazil>
Silver-Mike Thomas Brown <USA>
Bronze-Michihiro Omigawa <Japan>

Lightweight:
Gold-B.J. Penn <USA>
Silver-Shinya Aoaki <Japan>
Bronze-George Sotiropoulos <Australia>

Welterweight:
Gold-Georges St. Pierre <Canada>
Silver-Jon Fitch <USA>
Bronze-Thiago Alves <Brazil>

Middleweight:
Gold-Anderson Silva <Brazil>
Silver-Chael Sonnen <USA>
Bronze-Mamed Khalidov <Poland>

Light Heavyweight:
Gold-Lyoto Machida <Brazil>
Silver- Quinton Jackson <USA>
Bronze-Gegard Mousasi <Netherlands>

Heavyweight:
Gold-Fedor Emelianenko <Russia>
Silver-Brock Lesnar <USA>
Bronze-Junior dos Santos <Brazil>

Super Heavyweight:
Gold-Ricco Rodriguez <USA>
Silver-Mark Hunt <New Zealand>
Bronze-Antonio Silva <Brazil>
(keep in mind this one was hard, theoretically Lesnar would most likely compete here. Everyone listed above last fought match was at Superheavyweight)

Womens:
Gold-Cristiane Santos <Brazil>
Silver-Megumi Fujii <Japan>
Bronze- Tara LaRosa <USA>
(This one is also a wildcard as theoretically the Olympics would have several weightclasses for womens MMA)

Total:

Brazil: 9
-Gold:5
-Silver:1
-Bronze:3

USA: 9
-Gold: 3
-Silver: 5
-Bronze: 1

Japan: 5
-Silver:3
-Bronze: 2

Canada: 1
-Gold:1

Russia: 1
-Gold: 1

New Zealand: 1
-Silver: 1

Thailand: 1

Australia: 1

Netherlands: 1

Poland: 1

Points Awarded:
Similar to how the Olympics determine winiing countries, each medal is worth a number of points. Gold is worth 5, Silver is worth 3, and Bronze is worth 1.

Tie-1st: USA-31
Tie-1st: Brazil-31
3rd: Japan-11
Tie-4th: Canada-5
Tie-4th: Russia-5
5th: New Zealand-2
Tie-6th: Poland-1
Tie-6th: Netherlands-1
Tie-6th: Australia-1
Tie-6th: Thailand-1
*note: in moy original reply I added up the points wrong and declared USA 1st and Brazil 2nd.

Conclusion:
Its very hard to tell who wins the event. Brazil has more Gold medals, but USA equals their points. It is clear that it would clearly come down to one or the other. Unless the Olympics create a rule that state only amateur fighters, in which case none of the above would qualify, and the event would be overun by Russian and American wrestlers who would otherwise be Olympic alternates. Also Superheavyweight is a wildcard and may not even be included. Womens is also a wildcard as it is likely their would be weightclasses which would mean more medals to be won.

Wow, what ended up as a quick reply has turned into an hour long anaylisis. I should of been doing homework, but I had fun.

Comments?
BeeR
2/23/10 6:21:07AM
to represent your country you would need to win qualifiers against your own countrymen, a great amount of which train together and therefor would not fight eachother to even qualify. I think it would be a big mess.
king_katool
2/23/10 6:38:09AM

Posted by BeeR

to represent your country you would need to win qualifiers against your own countrymen, a great amount of which train together and therefor would not fight eachother to even qualify. I think it would be a big mess.

do they do it in boxing to qualify, wrestling? then why wouldnt these guys do it, im so sick of hearing but they train together, good then it should be interesting to see who wins
postman
2/23/10 7:19:37AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by BeeR

do they do it in boxing to qualify, wrestling? then why wouldnt these guys do it, im so sick of hearing but they train together, good then it should be interesting to see who wins

Boxing and wrestling you are some much less lickley to get injured. Ammy Boxing you where boxing gloves and head gear wrestling obviously no strikes. I never looked at it from a quilying stand point but its true it would be tough but it one thing to remember is it would most likely be ammy fighters so getting them to qualify might not be as tough. I would much rather see Submission Grappling I get great MMA at least once a month ADCC one time a year and harder then hell to watch.
king_katool
2/23/10 7:26:58AM

Posted by postman

Posted by king_katool

Posted by BeeR

Boxing and wrestling you are some much less lickley to get injured. Ammy Boxing you where boxing gloves and head gear wrestling obviously no strikes. I never looked at it from a quilying stand point but its true it would be tough but it one thing to remember is it would most likely be ammy fighters so getting them to qualify might not be as tough. I would much rather see Submission Grappling I get great MMA at least once a month ADCC one time a year and harder then hell to watch.

im sure if MMA got through into the Olympics you would see head gear and shin pads, along with no elbows on the ground, and its just as easy if not easier to get hurt in practice,but they do that together, i too would love to see sub grappling in the olympics, why isnt it,?
Naturaldisaster
2/23/10 9:21:05AM

Posted by MMA-San

Silver- Quinton Jackson <USA>

I dont think rampage would win a medal, Id think Rashad or couture would do better than him

Id also think Ron "the Monster" Sparks would do good in the super Heavyweight tourny. He hasnt had all that many fights but thats because all of his opponents pull out when they see him at weigh ins
sbulldavid
2/23/10 9:47:35AM
It will never be an event unless they create a separate amateur sport with it's own set of rules. The injury factor is just too much, Fedor would never survive a tournament, he bleeds like Bonnar in every single fight.
seanfu
2/23/10 2:04:08PM
Dude, it's simple this is how it goes. No professionals. 2 years before the olympics MMA fighters are picked from th amateur leagues and are put into tournys. These are 2 year 6 fight tourneys or something around those numbers.

To ensure less injury there are no elbows to the head, or knees to the head. Thicker gloves would be used like seen in Glory 11 and the brackets will fight.

I'm sure local shows will have no issue promoting occasional olympic matchups mixed in with the other fights.

Very ******* simple. America do it for your amateurs so you can at least get some pan american **** going on or some national titles at amateur.

Do it.