Poll results: What is the biggest problem facing top-level MMA fighters today?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Poll results: What is the biggest problem facing top-level MMA fighters today?
RhythmAndStyle
3/8/10 11:52:03AM
Do you want to be a [expletive] fighter?While the upper echelon of mixed martial artists can score big financially with cuts of UFC pay-per-view revenues and lucrative sponsorships, most fighters toil in relative obscurity and face a myriad of uphill battles.

Link
SmileR
3/8/10 12:56:01PM
Its defiantly not the money, compared to every other combat sport the money earned in MMA and the UFC in particular is astronomical!
Boxers/Muay thai fighters unless they are fighting for a belt or have held one in the past have to work separate to pay for their training.
I understand so do many of the lower lever MMA guys but they pick up nearly double sometimes even triple what a boxer/Thai would on a big PPV would earn. I understand that high level boxers such as Mayweather and Pacquiao earn millions a fight but they also own the promotion companies that host the fight and also the way MMA is now with the UFC as the top flight works a hell of a lot better than the amount of stupid belts in boxing.

Also it helps cut out champions *Cough*mayweather*Cough* dodging top contenders until they are on a decline or demanding outrageous deals to be made. I'd say the biggest problem facing all MMA fighters is the lack of health insurance provided.
I understand that the UFC gives its fighters some coverage but other promotions such as Strikeforce and even Affliction and CageRage when they where going did even less than the UFC. Which in my opinion is disgusting.
Taylor8766
3/8/10 2:25:05PM
I think that money has a big factor in whats wrong with the top-level mma fighters, in a way its like boxing the top guy make 3-4times more if not more than that, than other fighters who fight on the same card. Then if you factor in that there could be a quick KO n the higher paid fights yet they still get the most money, where as fighters who fight for 3rounds and may not get the bonus they still earn very little, this could be a huge motivation factor for some fighters. IMO the problem with top MMA fighters are that they dont fight very often, maybe 2-3 times a year, where as some other fighters fight up 4-5 times, I can see this however it does take time to find out who the number ne contender is, but the fact that their not fighting for a long period of time could definetly affect there fighting game.
jae_1833
3/8/10 9:40:38PM

Posted by SmileR

I'd say the biggest problem facing all MMA fighters is the lack of health insurance provided.
I understand that the UFC gives its fighters some coverage but other promotions such as Strikeforce and even Affliction and CageRage when they where going did even less than the UFC. Which in my opinion is disgusting.

MMA has to overcome this at least on the big fight level....I'm talking about Zuffa, FEG, and whoever owns S/F.....it only makes sense to either insure them or pay them enough to afford the medical coverage IMO.