Respect, A Retrospect.......

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Respect, A Retrospect.......
Next Page »
disorderlyvision
8/28/08 12:39:07AM
What is it with you people and respect? Just curious. I typed respect into the search bar and it returned almost 40 pages of replies. 40 pages! everytime a fighter has said something there is 20 people who say man i lost a ton of respect for him. fighter doesnt perform well... loses respect. fail a drug test...no respect (unless its pot then you get respect). by my calculations there isnt a respected fighter left. they have all said something to displease you, didn't perform to your expectations. there is always something....does it make you feel better to tell a bunch of random people on the internet that you, an elitist forum member do not respect a fighter. i guess you have never said a cross word in your life. why do you hold these atheletes, these....people under a magnifying glass a scruntinize them according to some absurd set of regulations that you yourself cant uphold?? i am just curious...40 pages of lost respect here is a sampling.

Posted by allevil86

If dana steps in a ring to fight tito I will have a new found respect for him.

Posted by sllim

I would lose all respect for Dana White and the UFC.

Posted by Tibun

despite my disputes against his personality and public conduct, i do respect KID as a phenomenal athlete and fighter, so i wish him the best

Posted by shackle

He has alot of excuses lol.... I can't beleave people respect him after all his excuses. Any UFC fighter would of got flamed to hell. I lost most my respect for him after hearing all the excuses why he lost. He needs to go train, and quit with the excuses it's over and done.

Posted by gspfan31

herring said in his post fight interview that he tore his mcl before the fight

Posted by tomp6581

In my opinion, mma fans don’t give Silvia enough respect.....Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Hunt & Sergei Kharitonov are all shown more respect than Silvia.......and he (in my opinion) is as good as (if not better) than them.

Posted by shackle

Josh Barnett , UFC 36title stripped after testing positive for steroids

There are alot of other fighters that lost my respect... alves, Randleman (who is fighting for his life because of it), and the list goes on.... I'm Not just bashing JOSH!!!! This is meant for all the steroid users caught.

I don't think any of these fighters should be allowed respect unless they redeem their self by getting tested often, and never being testing positive for a while.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

disorderlyvision
8/28/08 12:39:50AM
Why is it that if Genki fights smaller men (in his weightclass no less) you deny him any respect, but if Sudo fights a man bigger than him, it was jsut a fight with some 'can'?

Does he not deserve the same respect? Why couldn't these larger men, Butterbean & Marquart, do to Sudo what Genki did to the smaller men that he fought?

Posted by Mayo

Tim hates to be hated. He honestly doesn't know what to do to earn the fans respect. I think part of the lack of respect for Tim is that he is not a very aggresive fighter.

Posted by MMA

I had some respect for Sylvia, but after that performance I have lost all respect for him. I doubt I will ever be able to respect Tim Sylvia ...

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder
His next fight better be against a top 5 HW or i will lose all my respect for him..

anyone know where i can see the fight?....

Posted by jaba

I just gained more respect for diaz, and BJ

Posted by mmadb

When Evans beats Ortiz he will finally get some respect

Posted by Cobbs666

did not make dana look like a chump, made himself look like a puss, after almost losing to forrest and then getting totally schooled by liddell he needs to redeem himself, really wanted to see dana kick his ass, lost a lotta respect that i used to have for him, maybe couture deserves the respect i was giving tito

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

[I was a little dissappointed in Matt's lack of respect for Georges... I think GSP has done nothing but respect him, and Matt just gives him that brash cockiness that he is known for...

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

.......GSP loss gets more respect from me than Kos win..

Posted by aznteabagger

excusesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
lost all respect for arona

Posted by Manfred

Beyond the basic respect due to anyone who steps in the ring, I have little respect for him and

Sokou saying "Sokoudjou: What I was really impressed with was that he had to hang onto the ropes to survive Matt Lindland. That was just ridiculous. "

No, that statement is. Fedor could only "survive Matt?" Totally disrespectful to Fedor

Posted by xthe_scottx
Tito Ortiz is a fighter and I try my hardest to respect him but you can't respect someone who is so blatantly rude.

Posted by xthe_scottx
Tito Ortiz is a fighter and I try my hardest to respect him but you can't respect someone who is so blatantly rude.

disorderlyvision
8/28/08 12:42:10AM
theres more wher this came from....about thirty-five pages more.

if i quoted you i am sorry for singling you out you were just the first ones i came across, almost everyone on here is guilty. im just curious, because it is insane the standards place on these fighters.
Mchubb316
8/28/08 12:50:49AM
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether or not they, you know, a fighter. Whether or not they had it or not, or gained it. I don't think it is a big deal, this is a forum where people discuss fighters, fights, orgs, news, and MMA in general. The R word will be brought up many times in those discussions.
gravy13
8/28/08 12:59:00AM

Posted by disorderlyvision

if i quoted you i am sorry for singling you out you were just the first ones i came across, almost everyone on here is guilty. im just curious, because it is insane the standards place on these fighters.

I don't know man, but after reading this, I lost a lot of respect for you..................

hotrodttt
8/28/08 1:01:27AM
voodoo-jitsu
8/28/08 1:09:33AM

Posted by gravy13

I don't know man, but after reading this, I lost a lot of respect for you..................

i lost more than alot of respect for him i lost ALL respect for him if i had any to begin with
disorderlyvision
8/28/08 1:16:53AM

Posted by thevoodooninja

Posted by gravy13

i lost more than alot of respect for him i lost ALL respect for him if i had any to begin with

damn! and i so needed your respect to get me through the day. I am a hollow empty shell of a man now.
disorderlyvision
8/28/08 1:24:51AM

Posted by Mchubb316

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether or not they, you know, a fighter. Whether or not they had it or not, or gained it. I don't think it is a big deal, this is a forum where people discuss fighters, fights, orgs, news, and MMA in general. The R word will be brought up many times in those discussions.

i agree, but the word respect gets thrown around like the word elusive when joe rogan is talking about machida. it is overused, in fact to give you some perspective a search of the word fedor brings up 40 pages. next there will be top ten respect lists. top ten most and least respected. Buffer would be like "introducing former ufc heavyweight champ and current p4p least respected fighter in the wooooorlllldddd, tiiiiiiiiiimmmmm syllllllllviaaaaaa.
Pskinner_mma314
8/28/08 3:28:05AM
I look at it like this. Respect your opponent, and don't blantantly disrespect them once u've lost to or beaten them. Though I do not want his to end up like the NFL where u can't raise your hands for more than 3 seconds and get a penalty, I agree celebration is ok..........but like I said as long as u r not blatantly disrespecting your opponent.

my reasoning explanation is, you've claimed victory, that should be enough, celebrate your victory, also fine. but in this game of mma to disrespect an opponent after u knock them out is kinda careless, bein as any fight can end with one punch(note GSP v Serra 1)

Perfect example GSP v Fitch.

I really like Fitch and GSP but lets be honest, Fitch didn't really do a WHOLE LOT, he basically got his ass handed to him by GSP for 5 rounds and what did GSP do when the fight was over........... he got down on both knees and hugged Fitch knowing he beat the holy hell outta him and respected him for takin it ande never givin in.

props to GSP
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/28/08 6:09:19AM

i do not respect this thread

& i doubt u know this, but a huge part of fighting is about respect

disorderlyvision
8/28/08 8:27:39AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i do not respect this thread

& i doubt u know this, but a huge part of fighting is about respect

a HUGE part, give me a break. Training is a huge part of fighting. conditioning is a huge part of fighting. metal toughness is a huge part of fighting. respect is not. its not a prerequisit to fighting at all. if a fighter is respectful, more power to them, but they dont have to be, and if their a$$holes so what!? I'm sure they are not losing sleep over a few people on the internet "losing respect" it's silly. it's not like they fxcked your girlfriend or stole from your house. it is a fight why does it matter if they say something dispariging.
StevenSeagal
8/28/08 8:31:01AM
To the original poster,

It seems like you tried to put an intellectual spin on a dumb topic... Its a forum guy,,, if I stopped to think or reply to everything I thought was stupid, Id have triple the amount of posts. I still respect your right to post stupid topics though.
SpiderSilva
8/28/08 9:14:48AM
man I was hoping I lost respect for someone WTF find me I have to be somewhere in there
juanez13
8/28/08 10:03:05AM
I think you forgot one quote.

to be honest i cant think of any fighters that i used to like but dont any longer. there are fighters i have always disliked, matt hughes, gabriel gonzaga, rashad evans, and a few others. hell i still even root for some of my old school favorites when they fight like pedro rizzo, maurice smith. i might not pick them to win the fight on the playground because i am realistic, but i still root for them during the fight. there have been fighters i was neutral about, didnt like or dislike, that i have lost respect for like melvin guillard . but i cant think of any fighter i was a fan of that i am not still a fan of.

emfleek
8/28/08 10:15:51AM

Posted by juanez13

to be honest i cant think of any fighters that i used to like but dont any longer. there are fighters i have always disliked, matt hughes, gabriel gonzaga, rashad evans, and a few others. hell i still even root for some of my old school favorites when they fight like pedro rizzo, maurice smith. i might not pick them to win the fight on the playground because i am realistic, but i still root for them during the fight. there have been fighters i was neutral about, didnt like or dislike, that i have lost respect for like melvin guillard . but i cant think of any fighter i was a fan of that i am not still a fan of.

And that, my friends, is what we call a...

disorderlyvision
8/28/08 10:31:56AM

Posted by juanez13

and if you read my post i said pretty much everyone was guilty. 1 out of 1000 post i am sure is a much lower ratio than most of you. and guillard is an overated coke head that tried to start a fight after the fight had ended. i dont say i lost respect because he said something or showboated.
disorderlyvision
8/28/08 10:33:12AM
My basic point is that all of you keyboard warriors hold the fighters to a higher standard than you hold yourself.
StevenSeagal
8/28/08 12:45:28PM

My basic point is that all of you keyboard warriors hold the fighters to a higher standard than you hold yourself.

Man, your on a higher plane than most... what level of enlightenment are you on??? must be zen-like up there...

my friend, people are more critical behind a comp... There's ur post in 7 words.

Now im going to make some threads about obvious things:

Thread 1: Watermelon tastes good

Thread 2: Paper comes from trees

Thread 3: Tomatoes are neither a fruit or a vegetable... (well maybe that's not so obvious lol)
disorderlyvision
8/28/08 12:54:12PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Man, your on a higher plane than most... what level of enlightenment are you on??? must be zen-like up there...

my friend, people are more critical behind a comp... There's ur post in 7 words.

Now im going to make some threads about obvious things:

Thread 1: Watermelon tastes good

Thread 2: Paper comes from trees

Thread 3: Tomatoes are neither a fruit or a vegetable... (well maybe that's not so obvious lol)

paper doesn't necissarily have to come from trees mr. obvious.
emfleek
8/28/08 1:09:23PM
...and watermelon SUCKS!

StevenSeagal
8/28/08 1:48:22PM

Posted by emfleek

...and watermelon SUCKS!

I have no respect for you hahaha
emfleek
8/28/08 1:56:01PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Posted by emfleek

...and watermelon SUCKS!

I have no respect for you hahaha

Red-Dragon
8/28/08 2:10:20PM

And you are not a keyboard warrior? Respect is just a word in the English language, maybe you should have a word and get it removed from the dictionary altogether.

What word would you rather us use? I know "admire"

"I admire him now after the most admiral way he acted"

You must have a lot of time on your hands my man.

disorderlyvision
8/28/08 2:27:38PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

And you are not a keyboard warrior? Respect is just a word in the English language, maybe you should have a word and get it removed from the dictionary altogether.

that's the only thing any of us have...time!

admiral? did he act like a military person? or did you mean admirable. if you are going to talk shxt at least do it right man!
SpiderSilva
8/29/08 12:01:11AM

Posted by emfleek

...and watermelon SUCKS!

I have just lost respect for watermelons myself
Red-Dragon
8/29/08 8:39:58AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

that's the only thing any of us have...time!

admiral? did he act like a military person? or did you mean admirable. if you are going to talk shxt at least do it right man!

You missed the point. I was taking the piss out of you for talking plop.
disorderlyvision
8/29/08 10:15:21AM
didnt work out to well for you. try again. It was an Admiral effort though. but other people have done a much better job already.
emfleek
8/29/08 10:27:58AM

didnt work out to well for you. try again. It was an Admiral effort though. but other people have done a much better job already.

It's TOO.
Red-Dragon
8/29/08 2:46:00PM

Posted by emfleek

It's TOO.

Pages: [1] 2