Reptile owners?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Reptile owners?
ChrisSabal
11/1/12 5:06:39PM
Any reptile owners on the playground? I am thinking about getting either a bearded dragon, leopard gecko or a ball python snake.

I want something that is active whether it be day or night or during both. Just overall active. Since I am only 19 years old and still live at home a dog is out of the question and would be a little too pricey for me.

So to replace a dog I'd want one of these 3. I've read a number of things about all 3 and watched video on them. But most of the people that write about them seem like pretentious douchebags so I'd like to ask people that I actually value their opinions.

Oh and obviously if you have other suggestions besides these 3 then I would love to hear them.
SpiderSilva
11/1/12 5:13:44PM
I have a ball python its pretty cool. His name is choke.

Bearded Dragon's and Leopard Geckos suck.

If you want an easy to take care of cool lizard try a crested gecko.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
SpiderSilva
11/1/12 5:17:28PM
here are some photos of crested gecko's
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 2
SpiderSilva
11/1/12 5:19:12PM
These are vary easy to care for and come in many colors.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
BuffaloDave
11/1/12 5:26:41PM
I also have a ball python. I had one when I was a kid probably around 7-8 to about I was 14-15. It was an adult when I got it, so don't know how old it ever was. I got a baby one around 2004 and still have it.

Snakes in general make great pets. Very easy to take care of, and are pretty cheap to maintain. A lot of stores well tell you Balls are great beginner snakes, I tend to disagree, as they are a bit shy, and someone new to snakes might get scared when they ball up, thinking they might be ready to strike. I'm also a firm believer in feeding alive vs. frozen. It lets the snake hunt the prey, a natural instinct of theirs, whereas frozen you dangle the mouse with a pair of tongs in front of the snakes face, thus pretty much training it to get rid to eat one something is dangling in front of it's face.

I don't know much about bearded dragons or geckos, but from what I heard bearded dragons make awesome pets, you can even leash train them.
george112
11/1/12 5:28:49PM
I've never owned a reptile but my best friend had a ball python. He could basically never touch the damn thing cause it would bite. Not saying all of them are like that but the only problem I have with pets like that is that they just aren't affectionate like dogs or cats

PS. I don't like cats
sparky
11/1/12 5:54:38PM
I have a Boa Constrictor and 2 Leopard Geckos

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3
kingsmasher
11/1/12 9:38:17PM
I wish they would ban all snakes really....What are you gonna do in ten years.....Let it loose somewhere and let it lay 30 eggs and destroy a whole ecosystem....Cause thats whats happening in teh Florida everglades....

How bout going to your local shelter and get a dog before its put down...
papercut
11/1/12 10:03:22PM
if you have never owned a reptile before and want one you can hold/handle I'd recommend the leopard gecko as the best option. they are the cheapest for husbandry. 20 gallon long tank is plenty for an adult leo. and their diet is insects. if you aren't worried about price for setups and whatnot 1 fully grown bearded dragon can be housed in a 40 gallon breeder tank. they are also very social and usually take to being handled very easily. but they are a bit more expensive when it comes to their lighting. they require special UVB lighting.

I currently have a BP and have had a corn snake. both are what are considered "beginner" snakes which refers to how easy they are to care for. both make great pets and stay relatively small in snake terms. (both max out at around 5 feet. with ball pythons averaging 4') neither require special lighting. and both are usually open to being handled. corn snakes are also able to be housed in a 20 gallon long tank (even as adults but bigger is always better) they eat mice. BPs require a larger tank. (mine is in a 55 gallon again 40 gallon breeder would suffice) they eat small/medium rats.

I have 10+ years of experience with reptiles. and from my experience I would tell you to research THOROUGHLY before making a purchase.
ChrisSabal
11/1/12 10:24:08PM

Posted by papercut

if you have never owned a reptile before and want one you can hold/handle I'd recommend the leopard gecko as the best option. they are the cheapest for husbandry. 20 gallon long tank is plenty for an adult leo. and their diet is insects. if you aren't worried about price for setups and whatnot 1 fully grown bearded dragon can be housed in a 40 gallon breeder tank. they are also very social and usually take to being handled very easily. but they are a bit more expensive when it comes to their lighting. they require special UVB lighting.

I currently have a BP and have had a corn snake. both are what are considered "beginner" snakes which refers to how easy they are to care for. both make great pets and stay relatively small in snake terms. (both max out at around 5 feet. with ball pythons averaging 4') neither require special lighting. and both are usually open to being handled. corn snakes are also able to be housed in a 20 gallon long tank (even as adults but bigger is always better) they eat mice. BPs require a larger tank. (mine is in a 55 gallon again 40 gallon breeder would suffice) they eat small/medium rats.

I have 10+ years of experience with reptiles. and from my experience I would tell you to research THOROUGHLY before making a purchase.

I have been researching for almost a month now. My only concern with a ball python is I have heard you can only handle it 15 minutes at a time and once or three times a week I forget which one. A ball python is my number 1. I have always wanted a snake.

Once again though I would love something that is active. To where I could take it out and it would be perfectly fine. Of course I wouldn't do it after the snake eats or during the day for the leopard gecko.
ChrisSabal
11/1/12 10:25:18PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I wish they would ban all snakes really....What are you gonna do in ten years.....Let it loose somewhere and let it lay 30 eggs and destroy a whole ecosystem....Cause thats whats happening in teh Florida everglades....

considering at ball python doesn't get that big and wouldn't be able to survive a winter in Illinois. I don't think I'd release it.
papercut
11/1/12 10:32:00PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by papercut

I have been researching for almost a month now. My only concern with a ball python is I have heard you can only handle it 15 minutes at a time and once or three times a week I forget which one. A ball python is my number 1. I have always wanted a snake.

Once again though I would love something that is active. To where I could take it out and it would be perfectly fine. Of course I wouldn't do it after the snake eats or during the day for the leopard gecko.

If you are set on a snake, look into corn snakes. they have beautiful patterns and colors. are fairly active and you can have them out a while. and are much better eaters than BPs. my bp likes to go off eating over the winter. my old cornsnake ate every week all year. same with my giant plated lizard. but BPs are known for being difficult eaters
Ordep
11/1/12 10:37:50PM
Something active?

Get a hamster and put a few drops of redbull in the water.
papercut
11/1/12 10:48:54PM
sparky
11/2/12 9:39:22AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Bro all I have to say is you have been watching to much Python Hunters. The Everglades are not over populated with snakes because people let them go free most of those python are there due to the storm Florida dealt with a while back it tossed a whole Reptile Sanctuary into the Evergades releasing hundreds of Burmese Pythons.

And as for your whole "How bout going to your local shelter and get a dog" I have 3 Dogs so I dont need to do that. I enjoy Reptiles and Snakes specifically.

I dont know if its just me but 3/4's of the time what you post manages to offend me
emfleek
11/2/12 9:42:58AM

Posted by Ordep

Something active?

Get a hamster and put a few drops of redbull in the water.

Before or after anal insertion? My friend wants to know...
SpiderSilva
11/2/12 5:28:33PM

Posted by papercut

This reminds me of my old hamster Hamzilla. I bought 6 and Hamzilla killed the other 5. He was so badass one time when escaped he went toe to toe with my dashound and survived.

RIP Hamzilla
prozacnation1978
11/2/12 8:18:35PM
I've got a snake .... Between my legs !!
thevoodooninja
11/2/12 8:22:18PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I've got a snake .... Between my legs !!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1