Reps want Anderson Silva to fight Georges St-Pierre upon UFC return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Reps want Anderson Silva to fight Georges St-Pierre upon UFC return
FastKnockout
1/7/14 11:15:30AM
It’s much too early to set a date, but Anderson Silva‘s managers are dreaming big for the former middleweight champion’s return to the octagon.

Link
Kpro
1/7/14 11:52:22AM
Why would it be any more likely now, with GSP on a temporary/permanent(?) retirement, than when they both had titles and GSP said there was no chance of it happening? I guess Soares is just trying to keep Anderson's name in headlines.

If I were GSP, I'd tell him to fight Jon Jones, since he's so interested in 2 future UFC HOF'ers battling with one at a big size disadvantage, then it could be discussed.
Playground_Samurai
1/7/14 2:44:22PM
GSP did always say that if he were to move up in weight, he would have to take a long layoff to gain the size properly. I've been actually thinking and hoping he uses this time to do what he needs to come back as a MW. Would be so epic if he started out fresh at 185 and spent the 2nd half of his career there. Especially if he were successful.
prozacnation1978
1/7/14 2:45:26PM
Better late than never.
No title on the line.
Webbie
1/7/14 3:30:38PM

This will never happen. It's foolish for them to even bring it up.
sparky
1/7/14 3:32:32PM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

GSP did always say that if he were to move up in weight, he would have to take a long layoff to gain the size properly. I've been actually thinking and hoping he uses this time to do what he needs to come back as a MW. Would be so epic if he started out fresh at 185 and spent the 2nd half of his career there. Especially if he were successful.

I see a move to LW more likely for GSP than a move to MW.

Georges is to small to be a MW in my opinion.
Webbie
1/7/14 3:38:23PM

Posted by sparky

He may be too small for MW, but there's no way in hell he'd ever make LW
Playground_Samurai
1/7/14 5:02:18PM

Posted by sparky

While staying at WW is the most likely scenario, I think a move to MW is far more likely than a move to LW.

First off, I don't mean to call GSP's cardio into question, but I thought he was looking more tired than usual against both Diaz and Hendricks. While we all see he's not the biggest WW, he still may be pushing his personal limits as far as cutting weight at this point in his career.

Second, I definately think he can do what it takes to grow into a MW's body. There are legal supplements that help with growth. That combined with the proper diet and GSP's one of a kind work ethic leaves no doubt in my mind. He may not ever have the height of the taller guys, but his build should be fine and his natural skills and technique are definately more than enough to make up for any "short comings",pun intended.

As I said, I think staying at WW is the most likely scenario. But hey, It's okay for me to dream.
Lungsofsteel
1/7/14 5:51:41PM
Did they forget george is retired? Or that anderson almost lost a limb in his last fight?
Webbie
1/7/14 6:08:36PM

First off, I don't mean to call GSP's cardio into question, but I thought he was looking more tired than usual against both Diaz and Hendricks.

I agree about the Diaz fight, but I thought he looked fine against Hendricks. He took a beating in the fourth and came out and won the fifth convincingly. I think the only reason he struggled with his takedowns was because Hendricks is a great wrestler himself. I figured that's why GSP got taken down far more than usual as well, but that could also be attributed to Hendricks' wrestling.

But I also agree that there's no way GSP could ever make 155.

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Did they forget george is retired? Or that anderson almost lost a limb in his last fight?

Indeed. The whole idea of Soares and the other guy asking for this fight makes no sense.
40ouncetpkid
1/7/14 6:29:36PM
SP needs to face the WW champ first IMO. He always said he'd need to gain weight properly and most likely wouldn't drop down again. So if he lost it'd be his last fight which would suck. It could hurt his legacy. Now if he beats the WW champ then lost to Silva he'd still be seen as great. Silva should win 2 fights before this because if he lost 3 straight or even 3 out of 4 it still tarnishes his legacy.
Oldschoolfan
1/7/14 6:31:29PM
Its all about the money
sparky
1/7/14 6:58:26PM

Posted by Webbie

First off, I don't mean to call GSP's cardio into question, but I thought he was looking more tired than usual against both Diaz and Hendricks.

I agree about the Diaz fight, but I thought he looked fine against Hendricks. He took a beating in the fourth and came out and won the fifth convincingly. I think the only reason he struggled with his takedowns was because Hendricks is a great wrestler himself. I figured that's why GSP got taken down far more than usual as well, but that could also be attributed to Hendricks' wrestling.

But I also agree that there's no way GSP could ever make 155.

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Indeed. The whole idea of Soares and the other guy asking for this fight makes no sense.

If Tibau can make 155 than so can St Pierre I would be willing to bet money on it.

I wish I could call up georgie and be like hey bro I need you to try and make 155 just to settle a bet and he was like ya sparks for you anything
Webbie
1/7/14 7:06:45PM

Posted by sparky

If Tibau can make 155 than so can St Pierre I would be willing to bet money on it.

I wish I could call up georgie and be like hey bro I need you to try and make 155 just to settle a bet and he was like ya sparks for you anything

Georgey doesn't like potheads so that's out of the question
sparky
1/7/14 7:35:58PM

Posted by Webbie

Posted by sparky

Georgey doesn't like potheads so that's out of the question

He would like this one

I would give him absolutely no choice in the matter
Michael_Corleone
1/7/14 8:31:25PM
bjj1605
1/8/14 11:49:28AM
I won't hold my breath.
postman
1/8/14 11:52:15AM

Posted by bjj1605

I won't hold my breath.

Agreed my ears are still a slight shade of purple from Fedor and Randy. But this would be one mega fight. They both sit out a year and a half or two and come back for a simple catch weight fight to headline a card. It would do massive numbers IMO.
bjj1605
1/8/14 12:51:46PM

Posted by postman

Posted by bjj1605

I won't hold my breath.

Agreed my ears are still a slight shade of purple from Fedor and Randy. But this would be one mega fight. They both sit out a year and a half or two and come back for a simple catch weight fight to headline a card. It would do massive numbers IMO.

I'd love to see it.

But honestly I'd like for both guys to have a warm up fight first, if it ever did happen.

Not sure either guy would do that. Its just that I'd hate to see either use the layoff as an excuse (or more likely, for their fans to.)
postman
1/8/14 3:29:19PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by postman

Posted by bjj1605

I won't hold my breath.

I'd love to see it.

But honestly I'd like for both guys to have a warm up fight first, if it ever did happen.

Not sure either guy would do that. Its just that I'd hate to see either use the layoff as an excuse (or more likely, for their fans to.)

Yeah who ever lost would have that built in excuse. But as we have seen time after time if someone want to find an excuse they will find it. History has shown me I will take what I can get. Never got Fedor Randy, Fedor Brock, and Wandy Chuck took too long. These two are under the same damn roof it has to happen IMO. Of course that would all depend on Andersons leg and GSP's will to return