Reports: Champ Gilbert Melendez still sidelined, out of January title fight with Pat Healy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Reports: Champ Gilbert Melendez still sidelined, out of January title fight with Pat Healy
isk
11/16/12 6:47:31PM
Article link

There's almost no other way to put it: Here we go again.

Two months ahead of his title defense at Strikeforce's next card – and reportedly its last card – lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez has been sidelined again.

The news comes from Tatame, and UFC/Zuffa President Dana White said on a fan chat with the Montreal Gazette earlier in the day Friday that he believed Melendez was going to be off the January show.
DrivenDavies15
11/16/12 6:51:44PM
uh-oh, I hope this doesn't become a chain reaction
Budgellism
11/16/12 6:55:45PM
So does that mean his next fight will be in the ufc?
prophecy033
11/16/12 7:10:36PM
Makes me wonder why they scheduled the fight, he obviously wasn't fully healthy.

I feel bad for Healy. I didnt think he was gonna win but the exposure would have help him in terms of popularity. He should get a spot on the main card of a free Fox card just for getting this opportunity yanked from him...again
sparky
11/16/12 7:15:18PM
Strikeforce being dead sucks for the fans I always enjoyed watching their events
prozacnation1978
11/16/12 8:39:13PM
I think Melendez has to fight two Ufc fights before
He gets a title shot.
I think gray Maynard will be one of them
FastKnockout
11/16/12 8:53:51PM
He needs a good 2-3 wins before a title. I don't think he deserves his top 5 spot in the rankings.
TeamDEY
11/16/12 10:54:16PM
Dana get this kid to the UFC.. PLEASE!
BuffaloDave
11/16/12 11:50:02PM

Posted by Budgellism

Sure as hell hope so!!

Sad that we don't get to see the SF LW strap defended, for the last event, 3 title fights would have been sick.

I'd say get Eddie signed and let them two have that long awaited bout, a lot of us have been clamoring for. Face it, no need to give either one a warm up fight into the UFC, as I don't see either of them ever leaving once their there, barring they fuck up somehow.
Budgellism
11/16/12 11:56:07PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Budgellism

Sure as hell hope so!!

Sad that we don't get to see the SF LW strap defended, for the last event, 3 title fights would have been sick.

I'd say get Eddie signed and let them two have that long awaited bout, a lot of us have been clamoring for. Face it, no need to give either one a warm up fight into the UFC, as I don't see either of them ever leaving once their there, barring they fuck up somehow.

That would be great
Biggavelli
11/17/12 12:17:54AM
Goatenstein
11/17/12 10:13:30AM

Posted by FastKnockout

He needs a good 2-3 wins before a title. I don't think he deserves his top 5 spot in the rankings.

He's easily as good as Ben Henderson.