Report: Urijah Faber vs Vaughan Lee slated for UFC 156 on Feb. 2 in Las Vegas

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Urijah Faber vs Vaughan Lee slated for UFC 156 on Feb. 2 in Las Vegas
sparky
11/24/12 1:16:13PM
Reports are emerging out of Brazil that "The California Kid" Urijah Faber will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 156 on Super Bowl weekend against tough British fighter Vaughan Lee.

A Bantamweight bout that features one of the biggest names in mixed martial arts (MMA) is in the works for UFC 156 on Super Bowl weekend as Urijah Faber is reportedly set to make his return to the Octagon against Vaughan Lee.

Link
pmoney
11/24/12 1:23:51PM
Nothing like a nice showcase fight to help Faber towards his next undeserved title shot.

Oh wait
jjeans
11/24/12 1:25:20PM
Number 4 vs 129 - Makes sense to me

Guess this is a number 1 contender fight/one for the highlight reel.
prophecy033
11/24/12 1:32:35PM
WTF? Did they make this fight going off teh kingsmashers rankings or something?
Bubbles
11/24/12 1:35:10PM

Posted by jjeans

fight metric is a POS. There is no way in hell Lee is #129 in the world at BW
BuffaloDave
11/24/12 1:37:17PM
Kind of silly to put these two together to fight, Faber is always in the hunt for a title shot, whether you like it or not. You would think they would give him a higher ranked opponent, so if he gets another title shot after a win, there will an extremely hard time selling this one.
BuffaloDave
11/24/12 1:38:23PM

Posted by prophecy033

/Thread

FastKnockout
11/24/12 1:41:30PM
Hope Lee pulls off the upset.
frizzzlecake
11/24/12 2:00:15PM
Faber should retire before he fights Vaughan Lee. I would be embarrassed if I were Faber and scheduled to fight someone my protege just whipped.

I trust FIGHT rankings and Lee's Ranked 28th, while Faber is ranked 5th. Eddie Wineland is higher ranked and I agree with it. What's Raphael A doing? Much better of a fight imo.
BuffaloDave
11/24/12 2:27:28PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Faber should retire before he fights Vaughan Lee. I would be embarrassed if I were Faber and scheduled to fight someone my protege just whipped.

I trust FIGHT rankings and Lee's Ranked 28th, while Faber is ranked 5th. Eddie Wineland is higher ranked and I agree with it. What's Raphael A doing? Much better of a fight imo.

Raph is replacing Caraway, fighting Easton.
Budgellism
11/24/12 2:34:34PM
Well this is a strange match up. Not sure what they were thinking there, other than get Faber a win.
sparky
11/24/12 2:56:39PM
Everyone is being so hard on this match up I personally dont mind it. Urijah may be one of the best in the world but he has had two recent shots at the title and lost them both. Time to start from scratch.
kingsmasher
11/24/12 3:03:53PM

Posted by pmoney

Nothing like a nice showcase fight to help Faber towards his next undeserved title shot.

Oh wait

LMAO thats the truth...theres like 3 pple in that division worth watching...
kingsmasher
11/24/12 3:05:15PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by prophecy033

/Thread

Well Faber is top 3 in the division....but the same fight gets old like your childish jabs outta nowhere..
kingsmasher
11/24/12 3:08:58PM

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique fighters harder than anyone I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

When I read about this fight my first thought was Lee must be some up and comer undefeated to be fighting Faber....but I know the UFC loves a good company man and Faber can sell tix in his hometown...
prophecy033
11/24/12 3:12:41PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique fighters harder than anyone I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

When I read about this fight my first thought was Lee must be some up and comer undefeated to be fighting Faber....but I know the UFC loves a good company man and Faber can sell tix in his hometown...

you obviously don't read many replies then. Most of us don't like seeimg Top guys getting easy fights or seeimg Faber fight for a belt every other fight.
sparky
11/24/12 3:36:27PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

Bro you have to be kidding me. If you are fighting professionally for the UFC you are far from a SCRUB. Even the worst fighter in the UFC right now is levels above a SCRUB fighter.
Poor_Franklin
11/24/12 3:41:03PM
i hope this means that theyre tired of giving Faber title shots for a while & their going to make him go on another run before he gets another opportunity
BuffaloDave
11/24/12 4:00:35PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique Anderson Silva harder than anyone, because teh Weidman is the best, I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

Fixed

What's with 3 to 4 periods after every sentence now...? Is that your way of showing you know what your talking about?
jjeans
11/24/12 4:09:00PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique Anderson Silva harder than anyone, because teh Weidman is the best, I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

Fixed

What's with 3 to 4 periods after every sentence now...? Is that your way of showing you know what your talking about?

He only reads the last sentence/paragraph of what people write so I doubt he'll go back and check out what you fixed
prozacnation1978
11/24/12 7:31:40PM
I mentioned it already
airkerma
11/24/12 8:05:52PM

Posted by sparky

Everyone is being so hard on this match up I personally dont mind it. Urijah may be one of the best in the world but he has had two recent shots at the title and lost them both. Time to start from scratch.

I agree with Sparks here. After Barao beat Faber, Faber said he wasn't sure where he would go next. Why must he fight a top of the line fighter? Hell, he didn't really even sound like he wanted to keep fighting after Barao.
jay98107
11/25/12 12:59:58AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

If you're in the UFC, you're at least in the top hundred. Except for maybe when Jason Reinhardt was getting fights.
DrivenDavies15
11/25/12 2:19:02AM
At first I was like WTF because I was kind of hoping for a Yves Jabouin/Faber fight but this isn't the worst thing in the world.

As long as Faber doesn't get a title shot/number 1 contenders fight after this I can\t complain. I also bet he helped Dillashaw prepare for Lee earlier this year so i'm sure nothing will surprise him here.

If Lee can pull off an upset it probably be in top 3 or 5 of the best upsets in UFC history and maybe MMA history
jjeans
11/25/12 5:14:12AM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

If you're in the UFC, you're at least in the top hundred. Except for maybe when Jason Reinhardt was getting fights.

I understand where your coming from but lets face the facts he only has 1 win over a guy with a wikipedia page.

Kid Yamamoto 18-6, 1-5 in recent fights.

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

So what about his losses and draws?

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

Just because someones in the UFC doesn't mean there the best there are always exceptions. Ramsey Nijem, Myles Jury, Terry Etim, Pascal Krauss, Simeon Thoresen, Jason Miller, Ednaldo Oliveira, Chad Griggs? the list goes on and on.

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best. Just cause other guys haven't had the exposure doesn't mean there not top 100.
jay98107
11/25/12 6:34:33AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

I understand where your coming from but lets face the facts he only has 1 win over a guy with a wikipedia page.

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

Just because someones in the UFC doesn't mean there the best there are always exceptions. Ramsey Nijem, Myles Jury, Terry Etim, Pascal Krauss, Simeon Thoresen, Jason Miller, Ednaldo Oliveira, Chad Griggs? the list goes on and on.

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best. Just cause other guys haven't had the exposure doesn't mean there not top 100.

I appreciate your point, but if you're going to call my claim ignorant then I challenge you to name 100 people who deserve a higher ranking than Vaughan Lee. Ignorance is an extremely strong term my friend, especially coming from somebody whose measurement for strength of competition is whether or not they "have a wikipedia page". I'm not claiming that everyone in the UFC is automatically ranked above anyone from any organization, that's ludicrous. I didn't call him "the best". I would never call someone with a 12-8 record "the best". There are plenty of quality fighters out there, many better than some of those in the UFC, and some are in the top 100. This is, in fact, a default because no division in the UFC has over 100 fighters (the bantamweight division has roughly 40). I will say, if you're calling me ignorant because I believe that the UFC has the best fighters in the world (by and large), then I gladly soak in my own blissful ignorance. There is no question in my mind that the UFC has the best fighters in the world, by an indescribable landslide.

I also question the losses you chose to reference to discredit Lee's career up to this point. Brad Pickett is a shameful loss? A guy who is ranked 5th according to Sherdog's admittedly-questionable-but-not-far-off rankings? And all of those losses were at least 3 years ago. The Brad Pickett fight was in August of 2007, The same month Gabriel Gonzaga fought Randy Couture for the Heavyweight strap. Matt Serra was the WW champion. And some people were clamoring for Kid Yamamoto (15-1 at the time) to join the WEC and fight Urijah Faber, if I remember correctly. I bring this up to point out that, fighters change over the course of a half decade, for better and worse. I don't know if it's fair to Lee to cling to a loss he suffered 5 years ago.
jjeans
11/25/12 10:58:28AM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

I appreciate your point, but if you're going to call my claim ignorant then I challenge you to name 100 people who deserve a higher ranking than Vaughan Lee. Ignorance is an extremely strong term my friend, especially coming from somebody whose measurement for strength of competition is whether or not they "have a wikipedia page". I'm not claiming that everyone in the UFC is automatically ranked above anyone from any organization, that's ludicrous. I didn't call him "the best". I would never call someone with a 12-8 record "the best". There are plenty of quality fighters out there, many better than some of those in the UFC, and some are in the top 100. This is, in fact, a default because no division in the UFC has over 100 fighters (the bantamweight division has roughly 40). I will say, if you're calling me ignorant because I believe that the UFC has the best fighters in the world (by and large), then I gladly soak in my own blissful ignorance. There is no question in my mind that the UFC has the best fighters in the world, by an indescribable landslide.

I also question the losses you chose to reference to discredit Lee's career up to this point. Brad Pickett is a shameful loss? A guy who is ranked 5th according to Sherdog's admittedly-questionable-but-not-far-off rankings? And all of those losses were at least 3 years ago. The Brad Pickett fight was in August of 2007, The same month Gabriel Gonzaga fought Randy Couture for the Heavyweight strap. Matt Serra was the WW champion. And some people were clamoring for Kid Yamamoto (15-1 at the time) to join the WEC and fight Urijah Faber, if I remember correctly. I bring this up to point out that, fighters change over the course of a half decade, for better and worse. I don't know if it's fair to Lee to cling to a loss he suffered 5 years ago.

First of all I wanna say thanks You restored my faith in the PG again, too many people just come on here to argue but you are here to debate with solid points and if I think I'm wrong I will back down so don't feel like there's no point arguing

I also apologise for calling you ignorant, by the fact you read my posts proves that is what you are not, and for spending 5+ minutes replying proves you are a more hardcore fan than most.

Yes I originally checked Vaughan's record on wikipedia and begun my debate with the fact they didn't have pages, but I researched to discover who he beat and what they were like.

With the statement which I made

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best

I meant that in the sense of, there's more to MMA than just the UFC. A lot of fair weather fans think the UFC is UFC (not MMA) so they're idea in there head is that the UFC is the best because it's the only show. I guess my assumption was that your opinion was once your in the UFC you automagically join the top 20 (or so) ranked in the division.

The UFC without doubt has the best fighters in the world in every division, minus the select few who really until fight in the UFC really can't be proven to be number 1, Cormier, Melendez, Fernandes.

I didn't say Pickett was a shameful loss hence why I didn't include his record, but in recent fights Lee has only beaten 1 guy who has more wins than losses and that guy is on a slow decline from how good he used to be.

I guess my point is I don't think Vaughan is quite UFC caliber yet and if he is top 100 either way, what the hell does a fight with Faber prove, 40th or 200th Faber should still 98% of the time win.
jay98107
11/25/12 2:04:25PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

First of all I wanna say thanks You restored my faith in the PG again, too many people just come on here to argue but you are here to debate with solid points and if I think I'm wrong I will back down so don't feel like there's no point arguing

I also apologise for calling you ignorant, by the fact you read my posts proves that is what you are not, and for spending 5+ minutes replying proves you are a more hardcore fan than most.

Yes I originally checked Vaughan's record on wikipedia and begun my debate with the fact they didn't have pages, but I researched to discover who he beat and what they were like.

With the statement which I made

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best

I meant that in the sense of, there's more to MMA than just the UFC. A lot of fair weather fans think the UFC is UFC (not MMA) so they're idea in there head is that the UFC is the best because it's the only show. I guess my assumption was that your opinion was once your in the UFC you automagically join the top 20 (or so) ranked in the division.

The UFC without doubt has the best fighters in the world in every division, minus the select few who really until fight in the UFC really can't be proven to be number 1, Cormier, Melendez, Fernandes.

I didn't say Pickett was a shameful loss hence why I didn't include his record, but in recent fights Lee has only beaten 1 guy who has more wins than losses and that guy is on a slow decline from how good he used to be.

I guess my point is I don't think Vaughan is quite UFC caliber yet and if he is top 100 either way, what the hell does a fight with Faber prove, 40th or 200th Faber should still 98% of the time win.

Hahaha, Urijah trouncing Lee is something we can certainly agree on, and I definitely think that he's in the bottom of the BW division. I was actually kind of shocked when I read that this fight was going down, Faber has earned some nonsense title shots (Aldo), but this is by far the biggest mismatch I've seen him in. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lee got cut after the Faber fight (assuming he loses), but we all know how much Dana likes keeping British fighters around for the European cards. Also, I'm very glad that you included Melendez in your list of guys who challenge the idea that the UFC has the #1 fighter in every division, of those three guys you named I think he's the most capable of dethroning the current UFC champion. Glad we can have an informed debate in this place, instead of thoughtful posting drowned out by people saying things like "Fedor sucks". It's the main reason I only post here anymore.
infestructure
11/25/12 6:31:45PM
^^ What I like to see, good debate Jay and Jay