Report: UFC Targeting Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson for Fox Debut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: UFC Targeting Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson for Fox Debut
FastKnockout
8/23/11 9:19:39PM
Following the UFC on Fox press conference last week, Matt Bishop asked me about potential matchups the UFC could put together for the debut show on November 12. I came up with Lyoto Machida and Brock Lesnar -- before UFC President Dana White announced the latter would be out until 2012 -- as the obvious big names they would have available for a main event on that date.

LINK
Poor_Franklin
8/23/11 9:24:24PM
I'm fine with this & it's a win/win for the ufc. Big names. EPIC win if Dan wins & maybe sets up a third fight with anderson. or anderson wins & they showcase their best on national tv.

but Okami's gonna be pissed....

gotta win that one first Anderson!!!!!!
Budgellism
8/23/11 9:28:58PM
wha?????

I didn't see this coming.
Cooler
8/23/11 9:35:40PM
Does this really make sense? a middleweight title rematch? last time i checked Hendo just lost his last middleweight fight to Shields. Bones vs Hendo or Rampage vs Hendo 2 makes way more sense to me.

I'd love to see Anderson axe kick KO Sonnen on national television though.
Shawn91111
8/23/11 9:52:21PM
I am a huge Hendo fan, the only guy I really root for blindly. But I dont want to see him dropping to middleweight anymore.
Poor_Franklin
8/23/11 9:52:29PM
i think from a FOX, mainstream, casual-fan point of view, it makes perfect sense because it puts the big names in there. the list of guys they've fought & beaten is epic. Dan is still high up on my list of guys that can beat Anderson & he's definitely going to give him a good fight. they also both have pound 4 pound legitimacy with a win so why the hell not?

Poor_Franklin
8/23/11 9:53:23PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I am a huge Hendo fan, the only guy I really root for blindly. But I dont want to see him dropping to middleweight anymore.

i do admit I'd rather see this fight at 205..... any chance of that happening?
Shawn91111
8/23/11 10:08:27PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Shawn91111

i do admit I'd rather see this fight at 205..... any chance of that happening?

Henderson wanted the MW title fight for a long time, so doing this at LHW really doesnt do much.

Only way I see Hendo turning this down is because it doesnt help him really at LHW, but that has never been a factor in his going back and forth from fighting Franklin, then Bisping etc.

Id be surprised if Hendo turned this down if offered.
Chael_Sonnen
8/23/11 10:17:32PM
Jinx alert

No matters....it'll be Yushin vs Dangerous Dan anyway
prophecy033
8/23/11 10:48:07PM
I actually wanna see this fight go down. I don't care what weight class it happens at this time either. Henderson IMO won the first round of that first fight. If they fight again, and if hendo fights smart, I feel he has a chance. Hendo has been on a roll and his punches are as "Dangerous" (no pun intended) as ever before. Silva is always dangerous but hendo really doesn't care what anyone else is doing as long as he's getting off punches as well
TeamDEY
8/23/11 10:49:12PM
o my goodness i hope this rematch happens
kingsmasher
8/23/11 11:08:32PM
I actually think Silva might win this one in quicker fashion could really care less about this fight...I mean how many other people could we see Henderson fight?

Theres a whole list how bout

Machida, Brian Stann maybe would be a war, Ryan Bader, Phil davis, Rashad, Gustaffson, jeez Roy Nelson would be interesting...

I really think this one Silva will toy with him and it might blow up in the UFC face...I really think Silva is the only fighter who sometimes toys around with guys...Like Lutter, Maia, leites, apparently Chael...cause he didnt have a scratch...Cote..

Just cause dan beat Fedor he gets this fight...Shields beat him like other guy said...No way on this green earth will Shields beat Silva...
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 12:04:05AM
I like the fact Anderson is looking past Okami. I am going to laugh so hard if and when Okami humbles him in front of the Brazilian crowd.

Confidence is one thing but to plan your future as though you will win Saturday is too much arrogance for me.

Okami, if there is ever a time in your life you need to go beyond the call of duty and become a warrior, Saturday is the night. With all the recent events surfacing, you need to win this fight more than anything you have done in your mma career and possibly your life.
Shawn91111
8/24/11 12:30:14AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I like the fact Anderson is looking past Okami. I am going to laugh so hard if and when Okami humbles him in front of the Brazilian crowd.

Confidence is one thing but to plan your future as though you will win Saturday is too much arrogance for me.

Okami, if there is ever a time in your life you need to go beyond the call of duty and become a warrior, Saturday is the night. With all the recent events surfacing, you need to win this fight more than anything you have done in your mma career and possibly your life.

In what way exactly is Silva looking past Okami?
Poor_Franklin
8/24/11 1:52:06AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

this is just a report.
pmoney
8/24/11 3:46:05AM
I don't really care who Dan Henderson fights. I just want to see him in the UFC again! I don't think the Silva fight happens though. If it does, the question of what weight class is a great factor. I could have sworn I heard Hendo say he's tired of cutting to Middleweight in a recent interview.

Then there is Dana White, who I know has said, (I believe in reference to a Jones-Silva match), that Anderson is done at 205 right now. But of course, coming from Uncle "Business as Usual" Dana, who knows how true that is.

If the UFC is only showing two fights on Fox, they better be HUGE names. Hendo and Silva are both great places to start. As are Machida, and potentially Franklin. Wait a second... Franklin-Machida II? I don't care to see Franklin take that kind of abuse again, but those are two big, uninjured names who aren't booked....
Pookie
8/24/11 6:21:18AM
If Shogun has a quicker turn-around than Anderson, I could see them making that fight too. Shogun v. Henderson on cable. That's a fight to pull people into the sport.

****, even Forrest v. Henderson would draw alot of views too.
emfleek
8/24/11 8:43:03AM

Posted by Pookie

Shogun v. Henderson on cable. That's a fight to pull people into the sport.

I think it will take a lot for Hendo to drop back to 185. I'm pretty sure he's stated a few different times recently that he plans to stay at 205 and has no desire to fight at Middleweight again.

Then again...he wants to be champ, too. Who knows. Either way, it'll be fun to watch.
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 11:37:09AM
[ In what way exactly is Silva looking past Okami?

this is just a report. ]

Everyone is speculating on Silva vs Henderson for the middle weight crown. No one is talking about Okami and how he may possibly defeat Silva on Saturday.
emfleek
8/24/11 11:39:37AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

this is just a report. ]

Everyone is speculating on Silva vs Henderson for the middle weight crown. No one is talking about Okami and how he may possibly defeat Silva on Saturday.

Okay...but where did you read/hear/see anything about ANDERSON (not "everyone") looking past Okami? I've not seen/heard/read anything that would lead me to believe he's looking past him.
Pookie
8/24/11 11:42:43AM
I'm sure Dan would have no problem fighting Anderson at MW for the title. He's kinda like BJ in that he generally takes the biggest fight possible at the moment.
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 11:42:59AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

this is just a report. ]

Okay...but where did you read/hear/see anything about ANDERSON (not "everyone") looking past Okami? I've not seen/heard/read anything that would lead me to believe he's looking past him.

[ According to sources close to the situation, the middleweight champion is in talks with the UFC to fight Dan Henderson at UFC's first show on FOX, scheduled to November 12, in California. ]
emfleek
8/24/11 12:01:16PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

[ According to sources close to the situation, the middleweight champion is in talks with the UFC to fight Dan Henderson at UFC's first show on FOX, scheduled to November 12, in California. ]

I guess you and I just interpret things differently. "Sources close to the situation" are a joke 9 times out of 10. Until it comes from Silva's mouth, I won't believe he's looking past Okami one bit.
Poor_Franklin
8/24/11 4:35:16PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

I guess you and I just interpret things differently. "Sources close to the situation" are a joke 9 times out of 10. Until it comes from Silva's mouth, I won't believe he's looking past Okami one bit.

if Fertitta goes up to Anderson & says, "if you win this fight, we want you to fight Dan Henderson on FOX", how is Anderson at fault?
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 4:57:30PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

if Fertitta goes up to Anderson & says, "if you win this fight, we want you to fight Dan Henderson on FOX", how is Anderson at fault?

There is a section in the article which claims Silva is talking with the ufc regarding a fight with Henderson for ufc's first Fox show.
prozacnation1978
8/25/11 12:14:43AM
I don't know if I am going to this event
But I hope next year the event will be on dvd
Unlike the fight nights and versus cards