Report: Serra vs. Hughes to Headline November Event in New Jersey

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Serra vs. Hughes to Headline November Event in New Jersey
aznteabagger
6/20/07 6:57:08PM
UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra (8-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will make his first-ever title defense against former champ Matt Hughes (41-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) at a November pay-per-view event in New Jersey — not at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale.

LINK
ultimatefighter33
6/20/07 7:07:12PM
hughes is awesome but i think serra will retain his title i think the 1 to take it away will be kos
aznteabagger
6/20/07 7:09:29PM

Posted by ultimatefighter33

hughes is awesome but i think serra will retain his title i think the 1 to take it away will be kos

you got to be kidding me...you think gsp's gonna lose to koscheck...and serra's gonna upset again...as much as i want serra to win so that gsp can come back and beat his ass i know that hughes will take the fight
awechet
6/20/07 8:11:33PM
November is so long from now but i guess i can get my fill of trash talking from TUF 6 till then. And, nice to see the UFC heading back to the East Coast.
Porch28
6/20/07 8:16:06PM
East Coast Baby. Let's go Serra!!!!!!!
babalu2720
6/20/07 9:25:12PM
I agree Porch East Coast... Let's go Serra!! Matt Hughes does nothing to excite me and id rather root for the underground. All Serra needs to do is keep the belt warm for Koscheck. Sorry GSP fans
xkillerbx
6/20/07 9:30:34PM
Awesome! UFC back on the East Coast again! I'm excited for this.
Porch28
6/20/07 9:32:20PM
Thats right go Serra and Koscheck. I live in Jersey so this will be awesome!!! Now I just have to take a second mortgage out to afford good tickets
Thunderfighting
6/20/07 9:39:14PM
i dont think gsp can win it again, and if he does he will choke again. Nothing against "the terror" but i really think gsp choked big time in that fight. And i think koscheck has a chance(anyone has a chance), but gsp will end up with the win. As for Serra and Hughes, i think Serra will win a close one.
Porch28
6/20/07 9:46:13PM
Well all I know is it will be great watching all those fights!
Primo
6/20/07 9:48:26PM

Posted by aznteabagger

you got to be kidding me...you think gsp's gonna lose to koscheck...and serra's gonna upset again...as much as i want serra to win so that gsp can come back and beat his ass i know that hughes will take the fight

You've got to be kidding me...I realize you think GSP is God and is your favorite fighter, but Koscheck will beat him. Whenever GSP is outgunned on his feet he goes for the TDs, he will have NO CHANCE at taking down Koscheck. His striking is overrated, Serra blew through him and would again if they kept it standing. Yeah he owned Matt Hughes standing,but who doesn't??? Koscheck will beat GSP, and I HOPE Serra beats Matt Hughes' ass....he better, EAST COAST-ITALIAN STYLE!!
grappler0000
6/20/07 11:10:33PM

The only chance that Serra has against Hughes is a puncher's chance...and GSP is the only person he's ever KO'd, so not very likely. Serra hasn't submitted anyone in over 5 years...plus Hughes has some decent BJJ of his own, which equals a good defense, so I don't see that happening. Only one option is left for Serra...he would never win a decision against Hughes...he would have to out-wrestle him to do so...and since 5 rounds is a long time, Matt could very well win via GnP. Hughes by decision or TKO.

The Kos/GSP mathup is a pretty interesting one. GSP is obviously the better rounded fighter, but Kos has a slight wrestling advantage. The question still remains whether Josh's wrestling is enough to defeat GSP. I don't see Kos being able to finish on the ground or standing, so he will need to consistantly take GSP down and hold him down to grind out a decision. This would be a much easier task, if GSP's wrestling wasn't as good as it is. I see him getting taken down, but not being held there for 15 minutes for sure. GSP definitely has the ability to finish the fight standing...lighter on his feet, with a larger arsenal, but Koscheck's striking improvements may be just enough to neutralize this portion of the game. St Pierre has a great submission game as well, but I foresee a bunch of scrambling and switches occuring on the ground. GSP by decision...Kos has a fighting chance though.
Primo
6/20/07 11:23:18PM

Posted by grappler0000

The only chance that Serra has against Hughes is a puncher's chance...and GSP is the only person he's ever KO'd, so not very likely. Serra hasn't submitted anyone in over 5 years...plus Hughes has some decent BJJ of his own, which equals a good defense, so I don't see that happening. Only one option is left for Serra...he would never win a decision against Hughes...he would have to out-wrestle him to do so...and since 5 rounds is a long time, Matt could very well win via GnP. Hughes by decision or TKO.

The Kos/GSP mathup is a pretty interesting one. GSP is obviously the better rounded fighter, but Kos has a slight wrestling advantage. The question still remains whether Josh's wrestling is enough to defeat GSP. I don't see Kos being able to finish on the ground or standing, so he will need to consistantly take GSP down and hold him down to grind out a decision. This would be a much easier task, if GSP's wrestling wasn't as good as it is. I see him getting taken down, but not being held there for 15 minutes for sure. GSP definitely has the ability to finish the fight standing...lighter on his feet, with a larger arsenal, but Koscheck's striking improvements may be just enough to neutralize this portion of the game. St Pierre has a great submission game as well, but I foresee a bunch of scrambling and switches occuring on the ground. GSP by decision...Kos has a fighting chance though.

I disagree with some of that IMO. GSP's wrestling is nowhere near as good as Koscheck's, and even if he can scramble back up and he can be taken down repeatedly. GSP has the ability to finish the fight standing? Maybe, but so does Koscheck. GSP is overrated standing, Serra and BJ brought it to him. He has a lot of holes, and I feel Koscheck has better footwork based off his fight vs Sanchez. GSP could catch him in a sub, but he will never be on top of Koscheck, and standing I think it's even at best, I would actually give the edge to Koscheck. So if GSP doesn't catch him in a sub he will lose.

As for Serra, I agree, but don't think Matt Hughes is even half decent standing, because he's not. I think Hughes will take him down and grind him out with a TKO or decision, but there's no chance he stands with Serra, if he does, he will get layed out.
nastshabast
6/21/07 1:04:48AM
everyone hatin on gsp....wow after a boring ass kos/sanchez fight ......boring ass hughes. , the only good match involving any of these boys would be gsp/serra or gsp/hughes........gsp gets the belt back one of these ways....don't be silly boys
KingKash
6/21/07 1:47:16AM
All that I want to happen is for Hughes to get his ass kicked by someone. He needs to be shut up. His last fight was a bore too watch. He did not do anything to show that he wanted the win and I think that Serra is going to win the fight against him.
vcr88
6/21/07 2:53:29AM
Man how silly some of what you guys are saying kos is as good fighter as GSP and just because GSP got knocked out like he did does not mean that he isnt a good stand up fighter. Serra got really lucky that GSP didnt tear him up like he did to Hughes. Now as for the Hughes Serra fight this is easily matt hughes is fight. hands down. Serra I think is not a good fighter at all and really shouldnt have that belt in the first place. I hate matt hughes and all but he is going to win their next fight.
grappler0000
6/21/07 11:52:05AM

Posted by vcr88

Man how silly some of what you guys are saying kos is as good fighter as GSP and just because GSP got knocked out like he did does not mean that he isnt a good stand up fighter. Serra got really lucky that GSP didnt tear him up like he did to Hughes. Now as for the Hughes Serra fight this is easily matt hughes is fight. hands down. Serra I think is not a good fighter at all and really shouldnt have that belt in the first place. I hate matt hughes and all but he is going to win their next fight.

I don't think anyone here denies that GSP is the better rounded fighter...the problem lies in the fact that Kos is distinctly a better wrestler. The question is whether that is enough. Matt Hughes made a career out of out-wrestling strikers and submission artists...so it' not a matter of if he's a better fighter, but rather if the gap in wrestling skills is enough for dominance. If the gap is large enough, you will probably see a match similar to Hughes/Sakuriai...if not, GSP will most definitely come out on top.

It should be interesting to see Koscheck's shot in this match. Kos probably has one of the most powerful double legs in MMA...on the other hand, he will probably keep a safer distance than usual, since GSP likes to throw kicks. How much that will affect his takedown ability is to be seen. Of coarse GSP didn't throw many kicks at Penn though, but that's how he kept Hughes at bay...so it may boil down to who's gameplan is better...either way, should be an interesting fight.
vcr88
6/21/07 3:40:33PM
Well i guess i can see where youre coming from although i dont really think that just wrestling will do much against someone like GSP i mean look at what he did to hughes and hughes is known for his power and wrestling is he not.
Primo
6/21/07 4:48:47PM
Yo man you couldn't be any more wrong. First of all Serra dummied GSP, end of story. GSP came into that fight ready and motivated, he wasn't partying it up, the ****** guy lives at home WITH HIS PARENTS. Serra has bricks in his hands, and GSP's striking is sloppy. Against Hughes he looked like CC but that says more about Hughes then GSP. Penn busted GSP up with his hands, and if Kos keeps improving under AKA the way he has been I won't be surprised to see him out gun GSP standing. GSP does not have a solid jaw. As for his wrestling, it's on a total different level then Matt Hughes. Plus he's a better striker, GSP has the edge in subs, so we will see what happens.
zephead
6/21/07 5:07:38PM
I'll be there. Hell yea.

I think Hughes will be to strong for Serra. Hughes won't play the game of standing and banging, he'll go back to his bread and butter, Ground-n-Pound.
grappler0000
6/21/07 5:19:13PM

Agreed, Matt Hughes can make anyone look good at striking. I still think that GSP can outstrike Kos, but it depends what his gameplan is. If he straight up boxes with him, like he did with Penn, he may come up on the losing end of the battle...it would be adventageous for him to mix it up with the hands and the feet. Koscheck would be less likely to keep up, if that is the case...Josh has been known to throw kicks here and there, but is still a little sloppy...he tends to slip and fall a lot. Also, it would be easier for GSP to catch him off guard with his hands if he didn't know what was coming next. I'm sure both of them respect the other's abilities, so it will be interesting to see what aspect of the game they shy away from, in an attempt to avoid making a mistake.

At the end of the day, I just hope it's as exciting as it looks on paper.
Porch28
6/21/07 7:42:22PM
GO SERRA!!!!!
Porch28
6/21/07 8:22:20PM
1 more thing on Serra. The man is no push over He's gone 9-4 in the UFC and 3 of those losses were by decision to top guys Penn, Parisiyan, and Din Thomas. He also beat Chris Lytle who took Hughes the distance and then he beat the crap out of GSP. So maybe the guy is that good. Give the man some credit. He also won tuf 4. Serra is a Terra!!! East Coast baby. Hughes is in for a rough night!!!!!
TB_The_Savior
6/22/07 12:18:44AM
As much as I hate to say it...I bet Country Breakfast will grind out a SD in this bout. Oh, and I bet Pete Sell will fight on this card.