Report: Nogueira Next For Lesnar-Carwin Winner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Nogueira Next For Lesnar-Carwin Winner
DCRage
10/2/09 3:13:13PM
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that the winner of Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin for the UFC Heavyweight Championship at UFC 106 will next/first defend against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Although Nogueira recently asked for a rematch with Frank Mir, that request was turned down and "Minotauro" likely gets his title shot next, which should come in early 2010.

Article
Twenty20Dollars
10/2/09 3:19:18PM
Well I thought Franky was fighting Kongo.

But either way, Big Nog versus either big guy should be an exciting matchup.
DCRage
10/2/09 3:56:04PM
He is. Nogueira asked for Mir but UFC said no, which is how Mir-Kongo happened.
xdanish020
10/2/09 4:14:42PM

Posted by DCRage

He is. Nogueira asked for Mir but UFC said no, which is how Mir-Kongo happened.

Mir/Kongo was rumored/scheduled before Nog requested the rematch with Mir, I believe.

I'd much rather see Kongo/Dos Santos and a Mir/Nog rematch, but I guess we're not going to get that.
Truth
10/2/09 4:18:11PM
Man it seems like UFC all about ratings lately not best match ups... Vitor cuts in line on Henderson. Seth P isnt "ufc material" but believe Kimbo about to be on board. Why didnt they just give Nog the Mir fight? Seems logical to me. Or even Cain,being him and Carwin where suppose go at it?Mir beat Nog.Lesnar beat Couture and Mir. Couture took Nog the distance and that gets him a shot? Something doesnt seem right in my opinion
Wolfenstein
10/2/09 4:19:58PM
Should be an interesting matchup regardless of the winner. Nog and Cain were pretty much neck and neck in relation to who gets first dibs on the title shot--I'd be pretty satisfied with either one, but definetely I wan't to see Nog hold the belt at least one more time.
george112
10/2/09 4:21:35PM
i think the reason were not getting mir/nog is because it will make the UFCs HW division look like a big triangle. Brock.Mir.and Nog.they need to throw in other HWs to kinna balance it out.its hard to explain in words.hope somebody thinks like i do
Nightmare27
10/2/09 4:25:40PM
Good for him!! I want Carwin to beat Lesnar but would rather see a Big Nog vs Brock fight than the alternative.
Truth
10/2/09 4:25:42PM

Posted by george112

i think the reason were not getting mir/nog is because it will make the UFCs HW division look like a big triangle. Brock.Mir.and Nog.they need to throw in other HWs to kinna balance it out.its hard to explain in words.hope somebody thinks like i do

I so agree its more like a square though..Mir,Lesnar,Cotoure,Nog... Getting real old real fast lol. I hope Carwin gets the belt. Then beats Nog BAD, then Mir because I know that'd be next if thats how went down. The HW div just needs a breath of fresh air
george112
10/2/09 4:28:40PM

Posted by Truth

Posted by george112

I so agree its more like a square though..Mir,Lesnar,Cotoure,Nog... Getting real old real fast lol. I hope Carwin gets the belt. Then beats Nog BAD, then Mir because I know that'd be next if thats how went down. The HW div just needs a breath of fresh air

i was gonna say square with couture included but since hes going down to LHW i left him out

great minds think alike
bjj1605
10/2/09 4:35:02PM
This is an awesome match up. Nogueira could pose a lot of problems for Brock. He's got solid boxing (though I believe he's lacking in power) and is famous for submitting big boys after taking a beating. He's got better jits than Franky so hopefully Lesnar won't be able to Maul him on the ground. Very interesting fight and for those doubters out there: Who deserves a title shot more than Nogueira right now?
mrsmiley
10/2/09 5:52:03PM
If Brock fights Nog I don't even know how I would see that fight going.

1. Brock would be Bob Sapp X10 for Big Nog.
A huge guy with an extensive wrestling background who isn't too shabby of a striker. As far as I know Sapp had little to no wrestling background and mainly relied on his strength and size.
Brock would be a guy with size in addition to an evergrowing skill set,plus he's beaten good competition. watching the Nog/Sapp fight makes me think Minotauro is going to be in some very deep waters in this one.

2.Nog isn't as young as he once was. The guy has taken legendary beatings and I think they show. Though he came back in top shape against Couture.

3.Brock dominated Mir in their rematch,but I still believe Nog's ground game is slightly above Mirs. I can't see him getting caught up like Frank did.
If I was Brock I would keep this standing as long as possible.

I say Brock vs Nog would end with Brock winning in round 2 or 3 via TKO.
But if Brock decides to take this to the ground I think Nog will weather the storm and submit him.
prozacnation1978
10/2/09 7:24:43PM
i think cain is getting the shaft
seanfu
10/2/09 9:20:10PM
Yay, Nogueira can get knocked out by the winner of Lesnar Carwin!
Sinister
10/3/09 12:57:20AM
Yea, if Big Nog really wasn't himself for the Mir fight, then he very well could be the answer to beating Lesnar. His BJJ is the highest on HW level and his jab is stick. Most importantly, he willl keep going and going. Deeper the fight gets, the worse it is for Lesnar.
Sinister
10/3/09 12:59:14AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think cain is getting the shaft

Cain was complaining that he was being given higher fights to quick when he got the Kongo fight. I'm sure he will be fine with this decsion. He is still a prospect and is smart to wait (Unlike Carwin) til he feels like hes at his best.
scobac
10/3/09 3:59:30AM

Posted by Sinister

Yea, if Big Nog really wasn't himself for the Mir fight, then he very well could be the answer to beating Lesnar. His BJJ is the highest on HW level and his jab is stick. Most importantly, he willl keep going and going. Deeper the fight gets, the worse it is for Lesnar.

Nogs BJJ is probably better than Mirs but I think Lesnar proved against Mir that he will not let a guy use his bjj skills on the ground. He pinned frank to the ground and and he couldnt even move, bjj had nothing to do with it. It came down to raw strength and I dont think Nog is any stronger than Mir, he will likely get pinned the same way and recieve a similar beating. Nog and Mir have much better technique than Brock but brock and his bear like strength and power take "technique" out of the equation. Love Nog but anyone who thinks that fight will go his way is just crazy. All im saying is if you cant move you cant use bjj
whhh88
10/3/09 5:11:27AM
I've got faith in Nog, and while it might be unlikely, I feel like he quite possibly can pull it off. Can't wait to see what happens.
MMAcca
10/3/09 11:08:10AM
Ever since Brock won the HW belt, i've said that the only man who will come close to beating him is 'Big Nog'

We shall soon find out if i'm right.