Report: Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock set for Strikeforce in April

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock set for Strikeforce in April
The_Metal_Maniac
2/10/09 10:38:37AM
As the pieces continue to fall into place for the rapidly expanding Strikeforce organization, the California-based promotion now apparently has a main event for their April 11 return to the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

According to Fiveouncesofpain.com, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) will take on UFC and EliteXC veteran Nick Diaz (18-7).

An official announcement of the bout could come as early as today.

Article
DCRage
2/10/09 10:48:53AM
Already posted

7th post.
Darnok
2/10/09 11:12:03AM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

As the pieces continue to fall into place for the rapidly expanding Strikeforce organization, the California-based promotion now apparently has a main event for their April 11 return to the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

According to Fiveouncesofpain.com, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) will take on UFC and EliteXC veteran Nick Diaz (18-7).

An official announcement of the bout could come as early as today.

Article

Thanks for the article man.
bustin_mma
2/10/09 11:15:57AM
Wow that is a crazy match up. I wonder what kind of a catch weight it will be at.
The_Metal_Maniac
2/10/09 11:21:04AM

Posted by DCRage

Already posted

7th post.

This headline is more descriptive than reading to the 7th post of that particular thread. People who get their news from the headlines instead of reading every post wll find this helpful.
warglory
2/10/09 12:20:35PM

Posted by DCRage

Already posted

7th post.

This headline is more descriptive than reading to the 7th post of that particular thread. People who get their news from the headlines instead of reading every post wll find this helpful.

I thought it was helpful. I wouldn't have have found it in another thread. Props to you good sir.
Givershit
2/10/09 4:40:44PM

Posted by bustin_mma

Wow that is a crazy match up. I wonder what kind of a catch weight it will be at.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
by Sherdog.com Staff

Frank Shamrock will fight Nick Diaz at Strikeforce’s April 11 event on Showtime.

The bout, which Strikeforce and Showtime announced Tuesday, will be contested at a catch-weight of 179 pounds.
Wolfenstein
2/10/09 4:48:23PM
Why not match him up with Robbie Lawler instead, since they're both MW's, rather than trying to find a catchweight so a MW and LW can go at it? I just don't get the matchup. I guess it has some name value, but I just don't think this is the best matchup they can make.
Kpro
2/10/09 4:50:56PM
This is the best news I've heard in months.

Finally getting Nick into a high profile fight.
bls1919
2/10/09 5:31:24PM
Thias should be an interesting fight. With all the shite that both of these guys talk, man the weeks leading up to the fight should be good. The fight should equally be good. Nick is a great fighter, scrappy and has great jits. Frank seemed to be still on top of his game against Cung Le. Healing the arm and resting it for a yr might come into play.
WheelchairBandit
2/10/09 9:48:15PM
They were trying to set this fight up in late 2006/early 2007.

This all depends on which Nick Diaz shows up.

If the Nick Diaz that fought Robby Lawler,Karo Pariyan and Takanori Gomi shows up,it's going to be a fantastic fight and Nick stands a great chance at winning.

If the Nick Diaz that fought Mike Aina and KJ Noons shows up,it's going to be a baaaaaadddddd night for the Diaz crew.They're going to be running around flipping the bird to everyone.

It's an interesting matchup.I think you have to make Frank the favorite.He's a good enough submission grappler to stay out of trouble with Nick on the mat,and a good enough wrestler to maintain a dominant position while on the mat.He's a slightly better striker and definetly has more power.

I'm looking forward to the fight,it ought to be a doozy.Expect EPIC trash talking.

WB.

Pookie
2/10/09 9:50:29PM

This has to happen in San Jose, since both are local fighters.
Hendo67
2/11/09 2:03:04PM
War Frank!

This fight has so much cockyness in it already, haha
Red-Dragon
2/11/09 3:54:56PM

Posted by DCRage

Already posted

7th post.

Thanks man. Great news