Report: Mark Cuban Sues UFC for Contract Clarification on Randy Couture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Mark Cuban Sues UFC for Contract Clarification on Randy Couture
StevenSeagal
2/15/08 12:00:36PM
Link

Here we go...
Rich78
2/15/08 12:07:45PM
'Inside MMA' will certainly be worth watching tonight then. Randy is a guest. HUGE announcement being lined up...

But why and how is Mark Cuban suing UFC!? Is it on behalf of Randy? If not, then wtf has it got to do with him???
Lay_N_Pray
2/15/08 12:34:38PM
Uh oh.

Cuban wouldn't sue unless he knew he would win...sucks for you, UFC.
gartface
2/15/08 12:37:37PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Uh oh.

Completely agree, only question is how much money... Cuban's a billionaire, not sure if the UFC has reached billion dollar status yet.
wrona666
2/15/08 12:38:09PM
that a boy Cuban lets get those details.......
grappler0000
2/15/08 12:47:36PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Uh oh.

Completely agree, only question is how much money... Cuban's a billionaire, not sure if the UFC has reached billion dollar status yet.

The lawsuit isn't for money...it's for clarification. This puts Zuffa in a precarious position, since I don't think they are really wanting to have his fight contract scrutinized just yet.
gsquat
2/15/08 12:53:34PM
Is this going to resolve things any earlier?... Or at all? I'll be on standby and ignore the situation until something actually does happen.
slappywhite
2/15/08 1:07:15PM
great, now we'll get to see sooner than later that Randy has to fulfill his contract or retire
tuvok500
2/15/08 1:13:13PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Uh oh.

what ?

even Bill Gates have lost in court man !!

Bemin
2/15/08 1:21:10PM
Can't wait to see tonights episode. Randy and his wife Kim are on, and so is Gina Carano, plus they are supposed to be talking more about this Yamma pit thing.
Bowen50
2/15/08 1:40:20PM
randy is my favorite fighter of all time but he really needs to wise up and get rid of this uptight hollywood agent he has and do what he does best...and thats smash the top heavyweights in the world. mark cuban has absolutely no right to stick his nose in this. what a snob.
DustinT
2/15/08 1:41:43PM
what channel and time is "inside mma" on tonight?
help a brotha out here.
Bemin
2/15/08 2:03:56PM
9:30PM Est on HDNet (you need a High Def tuner (But not a HD tv) in order to watch the channel. HD net also puts the show up on the internet shortly after it airs on tv so anyone can watch it. Last weeks episode

Preview of tonights episode
ocho-cinco
2/15/08 2:55:34PM
Hellz yeah Cuban! As a fan of sports, how can you not love this guy?
telnights
2/15/08 4:37:35PM
I kind of seen this coming. They have gone and done a ton of stuff to make this fight happen and now Randy is in court which means long delays. So the only thing they can do to have any hope of this fight happening is counter sue and thats just what the are doing. I cant say who will win just depends on the judge they get.

I really think they expected the UFC to just let Randy fight after said date. So they gamble on this happening and now they are stuck in hard place and this is the only chance of making this fight still happen.
jrmmaclassics
2/15/08 5:02:51PM

Posted by Bemin

9:30PM Est on HDNet (you need a High Def tuner (But not a HD tv) in order to watch the channel. HD net also puts the show up on the internet shortly after it airs on tv so anyone can watch it. Last weeks episode

Preview of tonights episode

This seems like the very boring news type interviews. Like it more when MMA legends examine and ask questions that the fans want to hear being asked to fighters, plus Bas is a little out of his element in a tux.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Mayo
2/15/08 5:15:01PM
The article says that they specifically want clarification on the promotional aspect of the contract which leads me to believe that for now they just want to hire Randy as a commentator.
bayonetxwork
2/15/08 5:22:06PM
UFC better watch out. Cuban could definitely take them down when it comes to the courts...
tuvok500
2/15/08 10:38:36PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

UFC better watch out. Cuban could definitely take them down when it comes to the courts...

Man, Cuban is not going to take anybody down in court.

He only ask a judge to tell him when the UFC's contract of Couture will be over.

He only want a date !!

Styles
2/16/08 12:28:57PM
so what happened to this "big announcement"?
Rush
2/16/08 12:35:41PM
This purely my theory but here is what I think is happening:

Cuban and Randy got a bunch of lawyers to look at Randy's contract. They take the UFC to court because they think they have a case. Either a judges rules on Randy's side or the UFC settles and releases Randy from his contract to avoid bad press and/or a public disclosure of their contractural terms. That's what I suspect Cuban and Randy have in mind.

Kracker_Jap
2/16/08 2:46:32PM
Mark Cuban.....

??????? Can't people see this guy is/will be the Don King or worse for the sport of MMA

To me a street smart conservative ... I can't see why one of my personal heroes would make deals with a guy like cuban "its sad"

By the way Cuban probally doesn't have a case he is throwing his billion $$$
weight around trying to get the UFC to budge

Apparently it worked on some of you in the forum but I doubt it will with the Zuffa corp.
Rush
2/16/08 7:30:10PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

??????? Can't people see this guy is/will be the Don King or worse for the sport of MMA

To me a street smart conservative ... I can't see why one of my personal heroes would make deals with a guy like cuban "its sad"

Well, can you elaborate on why you think he'll be the next Don King and why you think everyone here was duped?

I personally don't know anything about the guy other than the fact that he has money.

Besides, what's wrong with throwing around billion dollar weight against a company that would do the same?
JimiMak
2/16/08 7:41:16PM
This suit is a big nothing. Nothign will come of it. He has no right to ask a separate court for this, when one is already determining Randy / UFC's relationship. He' just trying to get in the news. It's like the 3rd string StL Ram suing the Pats over the loss 3 (or w/e) yrs ago. No case. Simply being brought up by a lawyer w/ nothing better to do than to HOPE for something.
JimiMak
2/16/08 7:50:12PM
He didn't say everyone was duped and I dont' think it was a concensus opinion.

Fact is if you want to knwo about Mark Cuban look up his wiki cuz I forget the basketball team he owns, but that's why he's famous. He's a self made billionaire at 25(?). Retired and bought a basketball team by 30. Even tho retired he has major dealing w/ companies on high (ownership type) levels. Great head for business. Cool dude. A real nobody when it comes to MMA promotion. Prob'ly just hoping to hold a cpl events and sell out to another company. Talks a lot of shit tho, has money to throw away on frivilous law suits (and has before).
Rush
2/16/08 8:45:54PM

Posted by JimiMak

Fact is if you want to knwo about Mark Cuban look up his wiki

Well, he didn't use the word duped, but that was my interpretation based on the comment "it worked on all of you" with the rolling eyes.

I didn't want to know about Mark Cuban, I wanted to know why KrackerJap called him the Don King of MMA.
Kracker_Jap
2/17/08 1:40:26AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by JimiMak

Fact is if you want to knwo about Mark Cuban look up his wiki

Well, he didn't use the word duped, but that was my interpretation based on the comment "it worked on all of you" with the rolling eyes.

I didn't want to know about Mark Cuban, I wanted to know why KrackerJap called him the Don King of MMA.

Sorry Rush I am a fast thinker and post alot of times with gut emotion...

First off "Duped" as you call it is the fact this guy became a millionare at 20somthin off the dot com boom big deal right Ok ya but he is after fame and shock value look him up and his antics with his other pro teams Basketball and somthin else I can't remember he has a history of being flagrant anyhow his intentions with MMA are fame for himself and not for his fighters "My opinion"

The lawsuit I believe is has not been filed because he cares about randy or that he thinks he can win "once agian my opinion"

I am completly bias I know probally because of a movie he came out with LOOK HERE

Once again this only my complete bias opinion