Report: Lyoto Machida vs Phil Davis fight possibly in the works

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Lyoto Machida vs Phil Davis fight possibly in the works
Budgellism
8/14/11 10:13:50AM
When Phil Davis went down with an injury just weeks before UFC 133, Lyoto Machida was initially tapped to replace him against Rashad Evans.

Then "The Dragon" decided he wanted "Anderson Silva money" and freshly minted company man Tito Ortiz stepped in to save the day. That left both Machida and Davis out in the cold with no dance partners.

LINK
tallica62
8/14/11 12:23:34PM
1. It seems that no matter who Phil's next opponent is, they are going to make it a real big test for him

2. This doesn't make sense with the Machida "Anderson Silva money" idea
prozacnation1978
8/14/11 12:30:52PM
My guess is in montreal with
Franklin vs lil nog happening in san jose
pmoney
8/14/11 12:39:36PM

Posted by tallica62

It seems that no matter who Phil's next opponent is, they are going to make it a real big test for him

You really can't take a step back after taking out Lil' Nog. I don't know if Davis has the chops to get it done though. His wrestling is off the hook, but I highly doubt he wants to test his striking against Machida's, and he has to close the distance if he wants to try and smother him. If it happens, I feel that's a tougher fight for Davis. Who knows what can happen though. Mr. Wonderful is quite the physical specimen; have you seen the wings on that cat??!!
KungFuMaster
8/14/11 12:50:09PM

Posted by tallica62

1. It seems that no matter who Phil's next opponent is, they are going to make it a real big test for him

2. This doesn't make sense with the Machida "Anderson Silva money" idea

I agree on both accounts. Davis is a prospect who is on the verge of a title shot. He needs to be tested against the bests in the division right now.

Secondly, the mention of Anderson Silva money is ridiculous and does not pertain to the match at hand. Some of these articles are written by very biased authors; and in this case, the bias is against Machida for no legitimate, coherent and relating reason.

Here is headline for mma fans:

GSP is set to face off against Nick Diaz after turning down opportunities after opportunities to move up in weight to face Anderson Silva. ( How about that for a headline? )

Thumbs down for the author.

grappler0000
8/14/11 12:58:05PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Some of these articles are written by very biased authors

I didn't read the article, but based on the source, I have no doubt you are correct. They are also home of the infamous "UFC Quick Quotes". MMA Mania bites the big banana
FastKnockout
8/14/11 12:58:47PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by tallica62

It seems that no matter who Phil's next opponent is, they are going to make it a real big test for him

You really can't take a step back after taking out Lil' Nog. I don't know if Davis has the chops to get it done though. His wrestling is off the hook, but I highly doubt he wants to test his striking against Machida's, and he has to close the distance if he wants to try and smother him. If it happens, I feel that's a tougher fight for Davis. Who knows what can happen though. Mr. Wonderful is quite the physical specimen; have you seen the wings on that cat??!!

kingsmasher
8/14/11 2:42:48PM
this fight shouldnt be close really...Davis doesnt set up his takedowns like Rashad and the trouble he had with Lil Nog Man i give this to Machida by a lopsided win...

Davis just looks so uncoordinated in the stand up...he looked so bad I thought against Lil Nog I just dont see him being any real threat to the top guys...Jones , rashad, machida, I think Rampage and Rua would give him all he could handle...
hashyandy4
8/14/11 2:55:21PM
I'm actually excited for this fight if it happens. That being said i would take machida by UD all day
Budgellism
8/14/11 4:06:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by KungFuMaster

Some of these articles are written by very biased authors

I didn't read the article, but based on the source, I have no doubt you are correct. They are also home of the infamous "UFC Quick Quotes". MMA Mania bites the big banana

90% of the time mmamania just doesn't make the cut.
MMAcca
8/14/11 5:14:16PM
This is the news section of the site, this thread is just speculation.
Cooler
8/14/11 5:26:12PM
R.I.P. Davis
Chael_Sonnen
8/14/11 5:50:16PM
As much as I would love to see Machida get smashed, I see Lyoto getting the UD.
Pookie
8/14/11 5:57:44PM
Machida's takedown defense is too good. I expect a stoppage.
icantthinkofanything
8/15/11 1:12:06AM
Mr Wonderful only has 9 fights.
i would do

Rashad vs. Lyoto
Vlad Vs Phil Davis
Nog Vs Rich
Bader vs Gustafson
Manak
8/15/11 10:40:34AM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Mr Wonderful only has 9 fights.
i would do

Rashad vs. Lyoto
Vlad Vs Phil Davis
Nog Vs Rich
Bader vs Gustafson

I like the vlad match. like u said 9 fights isnt enough to go vs top 5 guys. id say machida takes this easy. davis needs more time, he still very unpolished
Cooler
8/16/11 12:56:00AM
Machida is too much for Davis but Rashad was a better match for Davis? he woulda probably got KO'd that night like Tito did and imo no amount of improving will be enough for Davis to beat the elite, especially Jones or Machida. At some point you need to stop being babied, Davis is at that point, Lil Nog won half of their fight and exposed him a bit. The people saying he needs to be "moved along slowly" were the same people saying the same thing about Bader and he turned out to be overrated and didnt need any building up, I have a feeling Davis will turn out the same.
Manak
8/16/11 10:04:18AM

Posted by Cooler

Machida is too much for Davis but Rashad was a better match for Davis? he woulda probably got KO'd that night like Tito did and imo no amount of improving will be enough for Davis to beat the elite, especially Jones or Machida. At some point you need to stop being babied, Davis is at that point, Lil Nog won half of their fight and exposed him a bit. The people saying he needs to be "moved along slowly" were the same people saying the same thing about Bader and he turned out to be overrated and didnt need any building up, I have a feeling Davis will turn out the same.

I wouldnt say Bader is overrated, he is a big strong wrestler with KO power so he has a chance in every fight just some were on his hype train to be a champ & he is no where near that level yet. As far as being babied Id say if he is gettin a fat paycheck then throw him in with the big dogs but if not then no, I think it is clear he is not ready for them and would get worked. So throw him in with guys at his level. If UFC wants to promote him then its up to him to step up or tell them I need more time
Cooler
8/16/11 10:32:19PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by Cooler

I wouldnt say Bader is overrated, he is a big strong wrestler with KO power so he has a chance in every fight just some were on his hype train to be a champ & he is no where near that level yet. As far as being babied Id say if he is gettin a fat paycheck then throw him in with the big dogs but if not then no, I think it is clear he is not ready for them and would get worked. So throw him in with guys at his level. If UFC wants to promote him then its up to him to step up or tell them I need more time

You wouldnt say Bader is overrated? everyone said he would be a future title contender and possible champion, he's no where near that at all, his technical boxing is lacking, his gas tank is questionable, submission defense is obviously lacking and he shouldve lost to little nog, he had problems with Eric Schafer and got knocked down and choked out by Tito. I think people get the feeling that a big right hand and good wrestling makes you Hendo but it doesnt, it also takes a great chin and heart which Bader seems to also lack. I never put him in the top 10 either because of the 3 fights in a row he lost.

Also why does it matter what you make? theres other bonuses you get and the main event usually always gets first dibs so even if you make only 20k per fight you could make so much more if you are well known and put on a great performance. Davis seems to have no problem with taking big fights, only his fans do because they dont want him to lose, we all knew Rashad was a terrible matchup stylistically for Davis but people were still divided because his wrestling is better on paper but thats kinda silly because mma wrestling is more complex than that, but we all know that.

Phil Davis isnt asking for more time, and for that i really respect him, he's gotten enough easy stylistically pleasing matchups. Brian Stann, cmon that was as one sided as it gets, Gustafsson was actually competitive he was the first person to expose Phils mma wrestling for a good part of round 1, Rodney Wallace? cmon, why? it was a step down, Tim Boestch? another step down? again why? Little Nog? another stylistically pleasing matchup for Phil, but again his mma wrestling was getting exposed for half the fight then switched to single legs, why is it logical to take another step down? he's 9-0 and clearly a dominate wrestler, lets see if he's legit or not