Report: Lyoto Machida Offered Fight with Tito Ortiz

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Lyoto Machida Offered Fight with Tito Ortiz
nickcuc547
1/6/08 3:44:22PM
Ed Soares, the manager for Machida, today told MMAWeekly.com that his fighter had been offered a fight with Ortiz — yes, they’ve accepted — and that they’re simply awaiting word on whether Ortiz has accepted the fight.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/05/report-lyoto-machida-offered-fight-with-tito-ortiz/
nickcuc547
1/6/08 3:45:57PM
this is the type of fighter we havent seen machida against yet, a big wrestler, sokodjou was big and could take you down, but tito can take you down and keep you down. i think tito grinds out a decision, machida will put up a great fight but tito's size will be the difference.
Manak
1/6/08 3:58:44PM
good solid test for machida and win should put him next in line after forrest for a title shot, but i see tito taking him down and GnP a win
rabbit915
1/6/08 4:04:13PM
How does a win over Tito put him in line for the title? He still needs to go over Jardine to get to number 1 contender status.
bullettdodger
1/6/08 4:08:17PM
Machida FTW, i've been sticking by him and he hasn't let me down yet... i hope machida tells ortiz "you're fired" right before the 3rd round bell goes and machida picks up the UD!
Red-Dragon
1/6/08 4:08:36PM
I cant see Machida losing to Tito in any way shape or form. Tito cant hang with that much stand up skill and if it goes to the ground Machida will win with BJJ.
jiujitsufreak74
1/6/08 4:15:30PM

I cant see Machida losing to Tito in any way shape or form. Tito cant hang with that much stand up skill and if it goes to the ground Machida will win with BJJ

well i have to disagree, i mean tito has endured the striking of vitor, wanderlei and cote so i don't think that machida's striking will overwhelm him by any means. i see tito LnP a way to victory because he is desperate for a win and will do what GSP did to Koscheck and what sherk does to...well everybody. my prediction is tito by LnP because i think he will be able to hold machida down and machida will not be in familiar territory
bullettdodger
1/6/08 4:21:11PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I cant see Machida losing to Tito in any way shape or form. Tito cant hang with that much stand up skill and if it goes to the ground Machida will win with BJJ

well i have to disagree, i mean tito has endured the striking of vitor, wanderlei and cote so i don't think that machida's striking will overwhelm him by any means. i see tito LnP a way to victory because he is desperate for a win and will do what GSP did to Koscheck and what sherk does to...well everybody. my prediction is tito by LnP because i think he will be able to hold machida down and machida will not be in familiar territory

i agree that that could totally happen, but i feel my boy machida will be able to stay elusive, and maybe even get a nice knock out when tito gets desperate and tries to shoot for a take down... i mean people keep saying that fighting machida is like fighting a "ghost" lol, once you swing... hes gone.
jae_1833
1/6/08 4:29:39PM
I got your back juijitsufreak

I think it will be dissapointing to watch for both sides. Machida has been staying elusive with stand up fighters...now he MIGHT be able to get Tito into that zone...but I really think he's smarter than that, he's been in there enough to realize that Octagon control and takedowns are his bread and butter! Tito by unam dec!
tuvok500
1/6/08 4:30:07PM
I see Tito winning a UD by GNP.

and it is possible that Tito finish him in rd 1 if he is able to pin Machida against the fence on the ground and to stunt him with some huge elbows !!

i hope it will be in montreal, that way , i will see my 2 favorite fighters live !!

Go GSP !!

Go Tito !!

prozacnation1978
1/6/08 4:44:44PM

Posted by tuvok500

and it is possible that Tito finish him in rd 1 if he is able to pin Machida against the fence on the ground and to stunt him with some huge elbows !!

i hope it will be in montreal, that way , i will see my 2 favorite fighters live !!

Go GSP !!

Go Tito !!

bold move to say since tito hasn't beaten anyone by ground in pound since ken shamrock all 3 times besides that it's been winning by decision by belfort, cote, griffin and evans if he wouldn't have grabbed the fence.
cmill21
1/6/08 5:19:29PM
Tito's not anywhere near the same guy he once was. Sorry Tito fans but his back problem, which later has been said to be a spinal injury doesn't allow him to control on the ground like he used to, ask Rashad. I don't see Tito winning this with his striking or take downs. Machida reversed Soko who's got great Judo, so i'm not buying the oh tito can take him down at will and lay on him.
Red-Dragon
1/6/08 6:20:41PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

It is not the striking power I am talkng about. It is the technical striking that will be Tito's undoing. Tito will not be able to stand with Machida in any way shape or form. Also on top of the Karate, Machida has real good Jujitsu so what makes you think a past his best Tito will control him on the ground?
JimiMak
1/6/08 7:29:37PM
Tito stands little to no shot at this fight. Machida's standup will decimate him, his JJ will beat tito's wrestling... at least to ge tit stood up, if not get the (t)ko.
tuvok500
1/6/08 7:30:36PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by tuvok500

Go GSP !!

Go Tito !!

bold move to say since tito hasn't beaten anyone by ground in pound since ken shamrock all 3 times besides that it's been winning by decision by belfort, cote, griffin and evans if he wouldn't have grabbed the fence.

Well, Tito rd 1 TKO is a lot more credible than Machida rd 2 Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) !!!

cmill21
1/6/08 7:39:49PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by tuvok500

Go GSP !!

Go Tito !!

Well, Tito rd 1 TKO is a lot more credible than Machida rd 2 Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) !!!

But one was on Ken Shamrock of new, the other was on Soko who Ko'd lil nog and Arona.
mrsmiley
1/6/08 7:42:50PM
I will be cheering for Machida in this fight.I agree with Jiujitsu freak in the fact that he can stay elusive enough to really give Tito a bad night.I can't help but feel though that their trying to throw Tito at Machida to set him back on purpose.
tuvok500
1/6/08 8:00:16PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by tuvok500

Go GSP !!

Go Tito !!

But one was on Ken Shamrock of new, the other was on Soko who Ko'd lil nog and Arona.

Man, i don't mean that, i mean that i am preatty sure that nobody was having Machida rd 2 sub ( arm triangle choke ) !!

We know that with Tito's style it is possible and credible to predict a rd 1 TKO by GNP, come on, nothing to do with there opponents, If Ritchie read your post he will probably tell you than Shamrock have acomplished a lot more that Soko !! lol

anyways, my point was that it is credible because of the style of Tito, if i would have told Tito rd 1 anaconda choke, i would not be very logical !! lol

jgtribbett
1/7/08 12:01:35AM

Posted by nickcuc547

this is the type of fighter we havent seen machida against yet, a big wrestler, sokodjou was big and could take you down, but tito can take you down and keep you down. i think tito grinds out a decision, machida will put up a great fight but tito's size will be the difference.

i agree.. i wanna see a good gnp fighter and see what machida's bjj can do for real
jomatty
1/7/08 1:17:29AM
it is a tough matchup for lyota but i still think he will get the ud. he is just too much better than tito right now and will find a way to win imo.
CornishMMA
1/7/08 6:18:32AM
Im not sure how fast or strong Titos takedowns are nowadays, especially after such a long stint out

And im not sure on Machidas sprawl or how good he is off his back

1st thought is on Machida for the UD win
Rush
1/7/08 2:57:47PM

Posted by CornishMMA

1st thought is on Machida for the UD win

This is where I would lean
telnights
1/7/08 4:15:41PM
Well I like Tito but me choosing him to win all depends on his training what kind of shape his back is in and how much time he is hanging out with his lady. But When Tito is 100% he can beat most of the top10 205ers. The Machida vs Soko I truly think Soko got cold feet/stage fright going in to that fight. Now Lyoto Machida is a great fighter and has won me a lot of money in real life. But as far as who has beat who Tito still has him beat hands down.