Report: Jon Fitch to Face Johny Hendricks At UFC 141

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Jon Fitch to Face Johny Hendricks At UFC 141
Next Page »
Budgellism
9/12/11 3:44:52PM
A welterweight fight between former No. 1 contender Jon Fitch and rising prospect Johny Hendricks has been agreed to for UFC 141 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas.

Sources have confirmed to ESPN.com both fighters have verbally committed to the bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

LINK
Hendo67
9/12/11 3:51:29PM
Twenty20Dollars
9/12/11 3:52:04PM
Hope Johny gets the finish.
mattjonesy
9/12/11 3:56:27PM
Good fight. I think its got the potential to have the best wall and stall display of the year!
emfleek
9/12/11 3:59:35PM
Tough fight to come back to from an injury.

WAR FITCH
SmileR
9/12/11 4:00:02PM
Why?! This fight will only help Hendricks if he wins. Its a huge step backwards for FItch!

Why not give Fitch someone like Sanchez to see if he can still hang with the elite of the WW devision. Hendricks hasn't impressed enough to warrant a shot at the number 2 WW in the world!

WAR FITCH!!!
pmoney
9/12/11 4:08:08PM
This is a great fight. Hendricks may not have a comparable resume, but his skill set makes this match interesting. Hendricks had a tough fight with Mike Pierce, and I think he looked pretty damn good in that one (as did Pierce).

If Hendricks can just keep it standing, he wins. Hendricks' only loss is to Story, who's striking is more serviceable than Fitch's.... Very interesting fight, I like it personally.
jjeans
9/12/11 4:14:30PM
"As most I am suprised by the match up. There are other fighters I feel should get tested by as SmileR said "the number 2 WW in the world!"
But I guess if Dana wants to keep him on undercards fighting prospects then Hendricks is a good a start as any....
Personally I thought Stungun would have been a better opponent to grind on..." What my real feelings are but for the majority of the fair weather fans:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...

LEEEEETTTS GET READY TO.....!!!....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Budgellism
9/12/11 4:18:52PM
I'm not trying to hate but I really hope Hendricks wins. I have faith in the beard. Fitch will most likely win a UD though.
Theoutlaw08
9/12/11 4:52:31PM
I hope Hendricks puts Fitch even further away from the title. I hope Hendricks finishes him.
TeamDEY
9/12/11 5:13:30PM
Stupid fight for Fitch... number 2 ranked guy and top ten P4P not even getting a top ten WW... UFC is pathetic
Chael_Sonnen
9/12/11 6:01:06PM
I hope Johny mops the floor with Fitch
FastKnockout
9/12/11 6:01:51PM
Just goes to show how Dana feels about Fitch. He doesn't want Fitch to earn another title shot.
DrivenDavies15
9/12/11 6:29:52PM
This sucks cuz Hendricks will likely just get cage humped the whole fight, if he can earn the KO tho that would be great. Dana clearly wants to see more out of Fitch before putting him back against top competition and is not impressed by how he's been fighting.
Poor_Franklin
9/12/11 7:47:23PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Just goes to show how Dana feels about Fitch. He doesn't want Fitch to earn another title shot.

this
prophecy033
9/12/11 8:37:19PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FastKnockout

this

that's a pretty sh*tty thing to do to the guy considering he's basically the same fighter as his WW champ. Like I've said before, Fitch has the second highest winning percentage in ufc history, right behind Anderson
Pookie
9/12/11 8:44:16PM

Posted by pmoney

This is a great fight. Hendricks may not have a comparable resume, but his skill set makes this match interesting. Hendricks had a tough fight with Mike Pierce, and I think he looked pretty damn good in that one (as did Pierce).

If Hendricks can just keep it standing, he wins. Hendricks' only loss is to Story, who's striking is more serviceable than Fitch's.... Very interesting fight, I like it personally.

Also, let's not forget that Fitch had an even tougher fight with Pierce. Both of them barely beat that guy.
Pookie
9/12/11 8:47:29PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FastKnockout

this

that's a pretty sh*tty thing to do to the guy considering he's basically the same fighter as his WW champ. Like I've said before, Fitch has the second highest winning percentage in ufc history, right behind Anderson

well to be fair, Fitch has fought way weaker competition overall than Anderson. 8 of his 13 wins are against opponents who got cut.
UFC_Fanatic
9/12/11 8:49:36PM
While I kinda like the match up because I like watching hendricks fight and would like to see him put a stamp on his status as a contender at WW, I'm not entirely sure that this is a match up that makes sense. It only serves to favor one fighter should they win (Hendricks), and does nothing for the other should he win. A fight at the weight class that makes more sense to me is Shields vs. Fitch (though I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would disagree with me and call this a snoozefest), or maybe Ellenberger vs. Fitch due to Ellenbergers powerful wrestling and heavy handedness, there is a chance that maybe we might see fitch getting fitched, or even see him get dropped face first to the canvas from a huge Ellenberger right hand. Shields for the obvious grappling challenges he presents makes that fight intriguing to me. I mean both fights make sense to me because it's a win-win for all of them in the match ups if things went their way.

Another one that makes sense is Rory Macdonald vs Fitch. Macdonald would get the chance to truly make a statement and with a win and say that not only is he truly the fighter of the WW division in the future, but he could very well be the present for the division as well, and for Fitch he'd have beat a guy that has been ragdolling everyone he fought, including Condit for 2 rounds.

The only other real option to me is for Fitch to say to hell with getting jerked around and constantly being denied title shots, and start trying to Fitch his way through the MW division and see if he can do what he does best up there and try and dethrone the sports P4P kingpin, Anderson Silva.
tn_rebel
9/12/11 10:52:40PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FastKnockout

this

this
fonduktoe
9/12/11 11:40:07PM
sounds like i got time to take a long bathroom break if i need to on that card
MMA-San
9/13/11 12:22:51AM

Posted by TeamDEY

Stupid fight for Fitch... number 2 ranked guy and top ten P4P not even getting a top ten WW... UFC is pathetic

Johnny Hendricks has been ranked #10 in Sherdog's rankings for about a month now. And thats all welterweights. There isn't a ranking site in the world that doesn't have Hendricks at least top ten in just UFC rankings.

I like this match, I think Hendricks is one of the few guys that could defeat Fitch.
TeamDEY
9/13/11 1:38:10AM

Posted by MMA-San

Posted by TeamDEY

Johnny Hendricks has been ranked #10 in Sherdog's rankings for about a month now. And thats all welterweights. There isn't a ranking site in the world that doesn't have Hendricks at least top ten in just UFC rankings.

I like this match, I think Hendricks is one of the few guys that could defeat Fitch.

I have no idea what you could base this on. Anybody that feels Hendricks can win is out of there mind. He will be totally out classed. Fitch will win by UD. To even say Hendrix is even close to the same level as Fitch is really rediculous.
Wolfenstein
9/13/11 2:00:14AM
A lot of fans were calling for this fight--so I'm surprised there's resistance suddenly. Johnny doesn't get the credit he should in rankings. He beat Brenneman, who derailed the Story train,who was crusading for a fight with Fitch. True he lost a tough fight to story, but he's no joke, and will force Fitch to fight.
Bythar
9/13/11 6:51:04AM
This leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But, why on Earth am I surprised?
Bubbles
9/13/11 12:54:30PM

Posted by Pookie

well to be fair, Fitch has fought way weaker competition overall than Anderson. 8 of his 13 wins are against opponents who got cut.

and where is Irvin, Cote, Leites, Lutter, Hendo (though hes now rumored to come back)? thats 5 of his past 12 fights....and he is the champion. champs are supposed to fight the tougher competition anyways...im surprised you actually posted that
Playground_Samurai
9/13/11 1:32:59PM

Posted by TeamDEY
I have no idea what you could base this on. Anybody that feels Hendricks can win is out of there mind. He will be totally out classed. Fitch will win by UD. To even say Hendrix is even close to the same level as Fitch is really rediculous.

Well I must be out of my mind because I definately think Hendricks has a chance. I will be picking Fitch to win, but i'm not ignorant enough to think Johny has no chance at all.
tn_rebel
9/13/11 4:26:33PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Pookie

and where is Irvin, Cote, Leites, Lutter, Hendo (though hes now rumored to come back)? thats 5 of his past 12 fights....and he is the champion. champs are supposed to fight the tougher competition anyways...im surprised you actually posted that

i'm not surprised he posted it at all
Pookie
9/13/11 6:14:14PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Pookie

They were the #1 contenders. Lutter earned his shot through TUF(A fight Gsp lost). Lietes beat Marquardt and was cut for being afraid to engage Anderson. Irvin was in a higher weight class. Hendo was the #2 MW in the world, and did not get cut.

Fitch consistently fights people ranked lower than him and struggles. Fitch isnt fighting #1 contenders. He's fighting fringe top ten fighters.
prophecy033
9/13/11 6:30:56PM
The UFC'S Middleweight division is the weakest division, while the Welterweight division is arguably the strongest. It takes a lot more to crack the top 10 as a Welterweight.
Pages: [1] 2