Report: Heavyweights Cheick Kongo and Frank Mir could meet at UFC 107 in December

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Heavyweights Cheick Kongo and Frank Mir could meet at UFC 107 in December
sclasclemski
7/26/09 3:50:14PM
Link

A heavyweight matchup between recently defeated contenders Checik Kongo (14-5-1 MMA, 7-3 UFC) and Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) is reportedly in the works for UFC 107.

A report earlier this month from MMABay – a U.K.-based website with ties to Kongo's training camp – linked the 34-year-old to the event, and a subsequent posting from Canadian-based Spotsnet.ca indicated Mir is the French striker's tentative opponent.

UFC 107 is scheduled for Dec. 12 at the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn.

Khaos
7/26/09 4:02:34PM
Though I do believe Mir will win this, I can see how Kongo's striking could pose a problem for Mir, if he doesn't get Cheick to the ground by the end of the first, he losses this fight.
sclasclemski
7/26/09 4:14:57PM
I think taking it to the ground will not be difficult....hell during the Cain fight Kongo started taking cain down while he was owning him in the standup
Nightmare27
7/26/09 4:16:50PM
If it goes to the ground Mir should definetly plan on being on top cause I doubt that he wants to eat any elbows from Kongo. Good matchup of styles, looking forward to it.
scobac
7/26/09 4:20:31PM
looks like Mir is going to have another fighters leg or arm for his trophy case. You never know though, kongo might have another set balls for his.
kopower
7/26/09 4:41:15PM
I still don't know who to go with. Kongo has yet to be subbed and only has 1 tko loss to Yvel back in the day. Kongo won't hold Mir down like Brock did though, and you can bet Frank will have an active guard if Kongo does take him down.
IriShame
7/26/09 5:33:24PM
Honestly I don't see it. Ya'll are talking like Kongo stands a chance here. I think if there is a heavyweight in the UFC who is tailor made to get smashed by Frank Mir, it's Cheick Kongo. I have nothing against Kongo but his striking is not THAT much better than Mir's and if it hits the ground (which it will), Frank will rip his ******* limbs off before you can say "Oh ****, Frank just ripped one of his ******* limbs off!" Mir's jiu-jitsu is as dangerous as anybody in the heavyweight division and Kongo has the worlds worst ground game, and no, using your strength to lay on an undersized opponent and drop elbows on his face does not qualify as a ground game. Call me when Kongo defends his first takedown and we'll see if he's ready for Mir.
vinny_cro_cop_q
7/26/09 6:16:42PM

Posted by IriShame

Honestly I don't see it. Ya'll are talking like Kongo stands a chance here. I think if there is a heavyweight in the UFC who is tailor made to get smashed by Frank Mir, it's Cheick Kongo. I have nothing against Kongo but his striking is not THAT much better than Mir's and if it hits the ground (which it will), Frank will rip his ******* limbs off before you can say "Oh ****, Frank just ripped one of his ******* limbs off!" Mir's jiu-jitsu is as dangerous as anybody in the heavyweight division and Kongo has the worlds worst ground game, and no, using your strength to lay on an undersized opponent and drop elbows on his face does not qualify as a ground game. Call me when Kongo defends his first takedown and we'll see if he's ready for Mir.

This
xphycorx
7/26/09 6:57:51PM
mir 1st rd sub
mikevolz
7/26/09 7:27:21PM
expect mir to show up out of shape thinking this is mir-hardonk II.
loller90278
7/26/09 7:30:12PM
so, i guess im the only one seeing Mir out striking Kongo ? Mir via 1R KO !!!

prozacnation1978
7/26/09 8:03:40PM
co main event in dec
good fight if mir is smart he will pull guard and sub him quick
StorminYourman
7/26/09 10:30:49PM

Posted by xphycorx

mir 1st rd sub

easy call
Hendo67
7/27/09 12:15:22AM

Posted by loller90278

so, i guess im the only one seeing Mir out striking Kongo ? Mir via 1R KO !!!

I think the opposite, i have a feeling Kongo is going to KO Mir.
Aaronno9
7/27/09 3:08:05AM
Im going against the flow on this one and picking Kongo with a 1st round TKO. Mirs striking is vastly overrated since his fight with Nog imo, I think Kongo will pick him apart.

People using the Cain fight to show how easy Frank will get Kongo down need to realise than Cain and Franks wrestling are litterally on totally differant levels. Id say Mirs is more on par with Al Turks than Cains, and Kongo was able to stuff his takedowns easily.

If it does hit the ground though, Mir will dominate big style. Im just not sure it will get there unless Kongo knocks Frank down.
GSPCanada
7/27/09 3:17:49AM
Mir isn't going to outstrike kongo, or even nutrilize, u might as well say kongo will submit mir. It's all going to be about the takedown. Mir has never showed great takedowns. and if he pulls guard i believe kongo will make a better effort than most to get up, i also believe that if frank pulls guard and kongo decides to stay in his guard he will actually punch him and hit him, not do the little punches lesnar has done. It's going to be similar to the cain n cheick fight except mir doesnt have the same takedown ability a valasquez but if mir gets on top its over
fizzle
7/27/09 5:28:24AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Im going against the flow on this one and picking Kongo with a 1st round TKO. Mirs striking is vastly overrated since his fight with Nog imo, I think Kongo will pick him apart.

People using the Cain fight to show how easy Frank will get Kongo down need to realise than Cain and Franks wrestling are litterally on totally differant levels. Id say Mirs is more on par with Al Turks than Cains, and Kongo was able to stuff his takedowns easily.

If it does hit the ground though, Mir will dominate big style. Im just not sure it will get there unless Kongo knocks Frank down.

I think past performances are tainting people's perdictions here. Kongo very nearly KO'd Cain, or at the very least had him on queer street a few times with very little effort. Frank's wrestling is no where near Cain's and if he can get the fight to the ground has a very good chance at winning, but if he wants to strike with Kongo he is going to get KO'd