Report: Frank Mir to Face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Frank Mir to Face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Next Page »
POLL: Who Wins?
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 77% (63)
Frank Mir 23% (19)
Sam_Rothstein
9/19/07 2:16:36AM
With a win over Antoni Hardonk last month at UFC 74, one-time UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir (10-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) will reportedly get a step up in competition and face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (30-4-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) in his next fight

click here for full article at mmajunkie.com
snakeplissken
9/19/07 5:24:33AM
I'd rather see Frank Mir face Arlovski first.
chiefwiggum
9/19/07 5:57:26AM

Posted by snakeplissken

I'd rather see Frank Mir face Arlovski first.

100% agree.
Sam_Rothstein
9/19/07 6:09:33AM
yeah this is a pretty bad matchup for mir

he looked really good in his last fight but nogueira seems like he is better then mir in just about every aspect

then again big nog didnt look like the badass he was at pride when he made his first visit to the octagon
babalu2720
9/19/07 6:55:34AM
Nogueria wins via his superior boxing
ukgaz
9/19/07 6:55:51AM
Couple years to late. Nog will own the stand up and cardio. Would like to see it go to the ground early
buryyourdead
9/19/07 8:00:47AM
What a stupid fight IMO. What has Mir done to deserve a shot against a guy like Nog? Not a damn thing except beat a stand up fihgter. In all his other recent fights he has looked like shit. Im getting sick of the UFC feeding shit to us and trying to tell us it's lobster. Maybe they will learn after this fight turns into a 3 round borefest. Hopefully Nog makes him tap with a quickness though.
waylon_o
9/19/07 8:18:08AM
I'm sure Minotauro will win, but maybe it will be a good fight. I'd hate to see Frank Mir get dominated
kaduey
9/19/07 9:03:41AM

Posted by buryyourdead

What a stupid fight IMO. What has Mir done to deserve a shot against a guy like Nog? Not a damn thing except beat a stand up fihgter. In all his other recent fights he has looked like shit. Im getting sick of the UFC feeding shit to us and trying to tell us it's lobster. Maybe they will learn after this fight turns into a 3 round borefest. Hopefully Nog makes him tap with a quickness though.

Come on, give the UFC some credit. This si turning out to be one of the UFC's best years regarding match-ups. Frank Mir was champion at one point and even though he looked terrible in his 1st 3 debut matches, Mir looke to be in excellent shape in his last fight agaianst Hardonk. I would ahve rather seen Mir/Sylvia and Vera/Noguiera but I'm not complaining about these matches either.
gspgnp
9/19/07 9:18:18AM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by buryyourdead

Come on, give the UFC some credit. This si turning out to be one of the UFC's best years regarding match-ups. Frank Mir was champion at one point and even though he looked terrible in his 1st 3 debut matches, Mir looke to be in excellent shape in his last fight agaianst Hardonk. I would ahve rather seen Mir/Sylvia and Vera/Noguiera but I'm not complaining about these matches either.

Exactly, what has he done before to deserve this shot at Nog? How about breaking Tim Sylvia's arm and becoming UFC HW champ! That's enough in my books! He looked to be back in form against Hardonk and when Mir is in shape, he is a tough fight for anybody.
LR
9/19/07 9:37:29AM
Horrible matchup. Mir fights a low-tier heavyweight in Hardonk, then gets flown up to the top-tier fighters and now faces Nogueira? How is that even justified? It isn't. He should face a mid-tier guy, then hit the contenders. It makes me wonder if the UFC is trying to rush his WEC commentating career to full-time.
hotrodttt
9/19/07 9:51:15AM
This is such a stupid and horrible matchup for Frank , I think Big Nog takes this by UD because I don't think he has the power to Finish Frank
grappler0000
9/19/07 9:57:45AM
I'm not saying that this is a great matchup, as Nog's standup is too good for Mir to handle, but I think everyone needs to give Mir a break. He's not the only one who needs to prove himself here. Nog has only had one fight in a new org...and it wasn't exactly something to be proud of. He nearly lost to a non-contender in a match that was supposed to be a gimme...and if it was a different ref in there, he may have been 0-1 in the Octagon. After the CroCop catastrophe, there's no way in hell they are going to put Nog in any match other than a guaranteed win. Once Nog wins this one, I'm sure we'll all see a great matchup next time around.
nubby
9/19/07 11:04:33AM

Posted by buryyourdead

You know I might be inclined to agree with you if the same thing wasn't said about CC. Not to mention that Nog looked like utter shit in his debut. Mir has earned the right to fight Nog, because Nog really hasn't earned a single thing in the cage yet.
snakeplissken
9/19/07 12:14:42PM
mmajunkie.com are now reporting that Mir's manager is saying that this isn't confirmed and that actually they would like Kongo next as he has called out Mir...

LINK
loonytnt
9/19/07 12:26:07PM
good luck with this fight mir
bezun
9/19/07 12:40:41PM
holy shit. im sitting in a puddle of my own joy. I just wish they would have given him another fight first.
HulkRage
9/19/07 2:22:35PM
This would have been a dream match up when they were in there primes, but now, I see Nog by UD because of his better stand up game.
loller90278
9/19/07 2:50:16PM
i'd rather see mir vs kongo
and big nog vs AA
roman
9/19/07 4:17:12PM
Where will this get Nog, nowhere closer to the belt. He should have fought AA or Big Tim, or someone who would give him recognition to the average UFC fans as a top HW.

I pissed off about this stupid matchup.
jgordon85
9/19/07 4:55:03PM
i think the kongo idea is a better fight for mir and makes more sense. but there is no doubt that nogueira would murder mir, murder death kill. mir's cardio looks terrible after his recent fight he could not even talk and the fight was like 45 seconds. he is a small heavyweight for his height.

no matter what i want to see arlovski vs nogueira! that is a match i would not mind paying for.
kimoron
9/19/07 5:54:00PM
before mirs accident he was the best hw jj guy there was in the ufc and with nog being the best in pride at the time i always wanted to see this fight. sure its a few years late but either way im all for this fight. some might say that theyd rather see nog fight aa and mir fight kongo but i like the idea of the winner of nog/mir going against the winner of aa/kongo. of the different ways to match these guys up i think this way would make for more exciting fights.
SpiderSilva
9/19/07 6:39:46PM

Posted by buryyourdead

Maybe they want to feed Nog another easy fight before he gets a title shot
DeepStrike
9/19/07 7:52:16PM
Mir vs. Kongo will go the same way as Mir vs. Hardonk and Hardonk maybe better on the ground then Kongo.

If it is Mir vs. Kongo, they are practically giving Mir a pay day. No wonder Mir's camp wants Kongo.
MaxOne
9/20/07 2:19:28AM
the ufc probably thinks he deserves a shot because he never lost his belt. His crappy performances were crappy....He got hit by a car...I'm suprised he came back at all after that accident. I'd like to see him get some wins under his belt but i'm sure frank feels he's ready.

kerazzle
9/20/07 1:07:04PM
arlovski/nogueira makes much more sense
mrsmiley
9/20/07 6:31:13PM
It sounds like their trying to keep Nog from a title shot.

It would look bad for the UFC if Rampage came and took their light heavy weight title,and then Nog steals the Heavy weight title.

I won't say anything bout about Mir.I just hoping to see Nog against some one a bit more of a bigger name.If Mir wins though,it will probably be tough for Nog to get back in the HW title picture
Sam_Rothstein
9/24/07 3:11:32AM
kongo would get submitted very easily by frank mir in my opinion

nogueira and mir i would have to go with nogueira just because i couldnt imagine frank mir catch big nog in a submission

then again i didnt expect crocrop to lose 2 straight fights or to see shogun get submitted by forrest griffin
bezun
9/24/07 5:53:29PM
mir by flying gogo.
Ultimate_fighter
3/30/08 6:06:48PM
i would wanna watch this fight. Usually 2 guys that are submission masters have terrible fights. They both wanna be on their backs, but i guess Nog's standup is really good, but i think he has a weakchin. He got dropped both of his UFC fights, in the first round, He has lots of heart tho.
Big Nog 3rd Submission. Mir would not be able to go 5 5minute rounds.
Pages: [1] 2