Report: Florian Trainer Killed In Motorcycle Accident

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Florian Trainer Killed In Motorcycle Accident
DCRage
4/21/08 10:07:05AM
34-year-old Eric Armington, a trainer of current UFC star Kenny Florian, was killed Sunday afternoon after losing control of his motorcycle, striking a concrete barrier and light pole. He was declared dead at the scene.

Article
DCRage
4/21/08 10:09:00AM
Florian made this post on his MySpace blog after learning what happened:

RIP Eric "Sityodtong" Armington
Current mood: crushed

Yesterday afternoon the Sityodtong family lost one of our close brothers. Eric Armington known as EZ-E was killed in a motorcycle accident on I-93 close to the gym. Thankfully he did not suffer and died instantly. He was a huge part of the gym and had a great eye for muay thai and the fight game in general. He contributed so much of his time to training others and helping the students improve and see the technical side of muay thai. Both Mark DellaGrotte, myself and a few others from the gym found out last night after UFC 83. We were extremely shocked, saddened and it hit us much worse than any physical strike could.

Personally, he was a good friend and taught me so much of the details and intricacies of muay thai. Eric told me the real Kenny Florian comes out when he shaves his head, lol. He said this after Mishima fight and told me I needed to do it for every fight. I made him proud when I finally shaved it again for my last fight. Of course he said, "I told ya!"

He was one of the best trainers at Sityodtong and he opened himself up to me and just showed me everything. Whether it was sparring in the gym, pulling me aside and showing me his new moves or just hanging outside of the gym, I knew he put his heart into everything he said and did. He was smart as hell and crazy as hell. He would do anything for you if he was your friend. He rarely took planes and hated flying but flew out to Vegas before my fight with Stout to help me and support me. I was actually with him when he finally made up his mind that he was gonna get a Ducati. He was always helping out the fight team with the technical side of things, cornering and wrapping hands. He lived it and loved it.

Walking into the gym will not be quite the same. He was like a thai bag at the gym. You just expected him to be there. One of the things I remember most was how he said he wanted to fight one MMA fight. His goal: wear the BJJ gi I gave him and wear a "Kenny Florian" white belt and proceed to muay thai the hell out of the guy and KO his opponent. The crazy bastard would have succeeded too! From Boston, to Thailand, to Vegas and Boston again, THANK YOU for your friendship!!!

We love ya bro and you will be missed and you will always be in our prayers. Now me and the boyz have a little extra for our next fights. We appreciate your prayers during this time.

RIP

My deepest sympathies go out to Florian and Armington's family.
silverbullet
4/21/08 10:48:21AM
RIP

there's a reason not to ride a motorcycle
wrona666
4/21/08 12:40:42PM

Posted by silverbullet

RIP

there's a reason not to ride a motorcycle

My best friends brother was just killed on a street bike a couple months ago....They should not even be allowed on the road in my opinion....
DCRage
4/21/08 12:45:56PM
I agree, at least with regards to those street bikes, pocket bikes, quarter bikes, ninja bikes, whatever they may be called. For every biker I see who rides repsonsibly and obeys the law, I see at least 10 others who weave in & out of highway traffic at 100+ MPH. They should stay where they belong-on the track or drag strip. (By the way, I don't have a problem with the "traditional" bikers-the ones who ride Harleys, choppers, etc., the vast majority of those I've seen don't cause any problems and ride responsibly)
wrona666
4/21/08 1:24:49PM

Posted by DCRage

I agree, at least with regards to those street bikes, pocket bikes, quarter bikes, ninja bikes, whatever they may be called. For every biker I see who rides repsonsibly and obeys the law, I see at least 10 others who weave in & out of highway traffic at 100+ MPH. They should stay where they belong-on the track or drag strip. (By the way, I don't have a problem with the "traditional" bikers-the ones who ride Harleys, choppers, etc., the vast majority of those I've seen don't cause any problems and ride responsibly)

VERY TRUE!!
decken
4/21/08 1:29:15PM
While we are at we should ban cars because of the 40,000 plus brothers, mothers, sisters, dads, grandparents, friends, uncles and aunts that are killed annually.

It is a tragedy whenever someone needlessly dies but if we banned everything that caused directly or indirectly the loss of life, life its self would not be worth living. It would also be impossible to live.

Here is a quick list of things that would be banned: MMA, Cars, Motorcycles, Airplanes, Football, Drinking Water, any alcoholic beverage, eating, stairs, wrestling, gasoline, fire, medicine, rock climbing, baseball, swimming, rafting, bath tubes..... I hope you get the point.

Life is about weighing the risks of any activity versus the rewards of any activity. It is my personal opinion that the less the government regulates what we can and can not do the better. It is and should be up to the individual whether riding a motorcycle (of any kind) is worth the risk. If you personally don't think it is, do not ride a motorcycle.

Posted by DCRage

You are assuming he was riding a sport bike, Ducati makes more then just sport bikes including those more like traditional bikes in there classic line up and dual sports. Next you are assuming he wasn't riding responsibly. No where in the article does it say he was speeding or driving recklessly. He could have hit a rock, oil slick, or some other obstruction making him loss control and if this is what happened it doesn't matter what type of motorcycle you are riding.

Finally, if for some reason street bikes where banned guess what kind of motorcycles all those irresponsible riders would be riding next, weaving in and out of traffic.
CactusBob
4/21/08 2:00:49PM
To follow up the above post, we are all supporters of a sport that in many eyes is dangerous and barbaric. We stand by it because we know in the right hands MMA is very safe (as far as combat sports go). I find it amazing that people on THIS site have the audacity to attack motorcycles and those who ride them, making ignorant assumptions about the typical motorcycle rider.

Props to decken

Edit: And to stay on topic, my deepest condolences to the Armington family
silverbullet
4/21/08 3:42:31PM
EDIT
DCRage
4/23/08 7:02:19PM
Getting back on topc here, Weekly has posted a more detailed article on the story, which includes funeral details and information on a memorial fund to help set up and fund a scholarship and related charitable efforts in Thailand in Eric's name & honor:

Kru Eric Armington, a trainer at Team Sityodtong, passed away over the weekend. He was involved in a motorcycle accident on Saturday afternoon on Interstate 93 in Medford, Mass. According to the Patriot Ledger, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Armington was a world champion kickboxer and a trainer at Team Sityodtong. The camp has been emerging as a mixed martial arts hotbed, producing fighters such as Ultimate Fighting Championship veterans Kenny Florian and Jorge Rivera.

“He was a huge part of the gym and had a great eye for Muay Thai and the fight game in general,” wrote Florian on his website. “He contributed so much of his time to training others and helping the students improve and see the technical side of Muay Thai. Both Mark DellaGrotte, myself, and a few others from the gym found out … after UFC 83. We were extremely shocked, saddened and it hit us much worse than any physical strike could.

“He was one of the best trainers at Sityodtong and he opened himself up to me and just showed me everything. Whether it was sparring in the gym, pulling me aside and showing me his new moves or just hanging outside of the gym, I knew he put his heart into everything he said and did.”

There will be a Graveside Ceremony this Friday (April 25) at 10 a.m., at Canton Cemetery, 1716 Washington St., Canton, Mass.

At 1 p.m., there will be a gathering at Sityodtong in memory of Kru Eric.

At the family’s request, any donations or contributions made should be sent to:
Sityodtong
100 Broadway
Somerville, MA 02145

Make payments payable to Sityodtong Inc. and reference Kru Eric Memorial Fund. All donations will be delivered to the camp in Thailand.

It was Eric's dream to be able to give back to the people who gave to him. He had always spoken of helping support the next generation of young fighters at Sityodtong Thailand who moved him so deeply. He had the great experience of witnessing their lifestyle first hand and would always speak of their difficult childhoods. A memorial will be built at the camp in Thailand.

Sityodtong USA is also starting the Kru Eric Thailand Excursion Scholarship. This will provide a trip to Thailand once a year for Students of lesser means. For information please contact Tom Hafers at thafers@usmma.org or sityodtong@yahoo.com.

I know they would've preferred to have done this in much better circumstances, but it's always wonderful to see something like this being done as a way to help those less fortunate. I wish them nothing but great success with this scholarship and other efforts in Thailand.
Raykill
5/13/08 12:21:04PM
My sympathies to Florian and Armington's family.
holt8081
5/14/08 12:53:39AM
That sucks. R.I.P.
bigbubbano23
5/14/08 12:56:07AM
R.I.P