Report: Fedor Emelianenko to meet with Randy Couture in person

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Report: Fedor Emelianenko to meet with Randy Couture in person
juanez13
1/13/08 7:49:36PM
LINK (no real need to go to the link, whats here is pretty much everything there is to it)

Fedor Emelianenko and his Russian management team will travel to Los Angeles, Calif., on January 17 to meet UFC heavyweight champion, Randy Couture, “in person.”

Here’s a snip:

“Fedor Emelianenko, Vadim Finkelstein and Apy Echteld will leave for Los Angeles on Thursday, 17-th where they are going to meet with Affliction representatives. Also Fedor plans to meet Randy Couture there to discuss things in person. All the details of the meeting will be revealed soon.”

Couture resigned as champion in late 2007 because of a dispute regarding his compensation and a desire to fight Emelianenko, who is considered among the top fighters in his division in the sport. Emelianenko currently competes under the M-1 banner.

It’s believed that Couture and the UFC are locked in a legal battle. He believes his responsibilities expire when his contract is up later this year. However, the UFC contends that “The Natural” is bound to the agreement for the number of fights remaining on the deal.

In fact, the legal battle is the reason Couture remains champion even though he does not intend to fight for the UFC again unless it’s against Emelianenko. If he’s stripped then the case against him is not as strong.

There’s no telling what possibly can be the reason Emelianenko and Couture plan to meet other than to draw more attention to the dream match up.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ocho-cinco
1/13/08 9:13:37PM
Please let this fight happen in 08.......Please........for the good of the sport
Styles
1/13/08 11:36:52PM
Too bad a rep from M-1 isnt going, I would love to see the UFC have a part of this fight. Cant wait to hear what happens when these 2 meet, surely there will be some sort of deal made to make the MMA fans happy.
cmill21
1/14/08 12:31:37AM

Posted by Styles

Too bad a rep from M-1 isnt going, I would love to see the UFC have a part of this fight. Cant wait to hear what happens when these 2 meet, surely there will be some sort of deal made to make the MMA fans happy.

The UFC had their chance, they said no for whatever reason.
Manfred
1/14/08 1:21:31AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Styles

The reason is that it will impede on their plans for global domination
Underhook
1/14/08 7:45:03AM
maybe theyll shake hands and become vodka buddies
atlas777
1/14/08 9:33:08AM
Please let this fight happen it will finaly answer the question so nobody will be able to compain and whine any longer about who is better it should also be one hell of a fight.

Oh and Fedor looks possesed in that picture its kinda creepy.
MMAnomale
1/14/08 11:05:13AM
There are so many "Dream Fights" that I've always wanted to see, and this is one of them. I would LOVE to see this happen. I wish, somehow, they could make it happen this year. I believe after this, Randy would retire, especially if he won. I think it would be a great fight. I give Fedor the edge, but Randy Loves being the underdog, and it's hard to ever count him out.
This would solve the eternal question of who's the best HW in MMA in the world. Ofcourse, after the fight, they may want to fight again, and if the other person wins the second time and it's tied 1-1, then they would fight a third time. I'm getting ahead of myself. I'd be happy with one fight between these two legends of the sport.
Smd277
1/14/08 12:47:56PM
it will be the best fight ever in my oppinion it needs to happen biggest dissapointment ever is dana white and would be even more if this fight doesnt go through. however if/when it goes down i think there will be dissapointment in the callibur of the fight
Styles
1/14/08 2:06:15PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Styles

I know, but I am hoping they have come to realize what an oppurtunity this is for not only themselves, but fo rthe sport. I dont think the UFC would want to be remembered as the big org that could produce a legendary fight between 2 hall of fame heavywieghts.
sillysnail
1/14/08 4:59:27PM
the ufc definitely wont let m-1, or any promotion for that matter pick up this fight. i think right now they think its all talk and hot air, but the more it looks to become official, i think they'll step in and work things out for this fight. they'd be stupid not to, especially since this fight would legitimize whatever organization puts it on if its not the ufc.
cmill21
1/14/08 6:28:36PM

Posted by sillysnail

the ufc definitely wont let m-1, or any promotion for that matter pick up this fight. i think right now they think its all talk and hot air, but the more it looks to become official, i think they'll step in and work things out for this fight. they'd be stupid not to, especially since this fight would legitimize whatever organization puts it on if its not the ufc.

The reason they're not trying to get it is because it would force them to have M-1 as a co-promoter and possibly give them noteriety.
StriderXero
1/15/08 6:10:10PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Styles

I think this would be the one of the biggest fights in history. If they were to co-promote with M-1 then they would have to split the money making with them. Which is understandable, considering it might be the biggest PPV in sales for which ever year it comes out in. That being said, it'll benefit M-1 alot. M-1 would get the 2 main things, money and exposure. UFC doesn't want another rival, epecially coming from such a young company.
mrsmiley
1/19/08 5:22:50PM
Nuff said.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1