Report: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Hong Man Choi on New Year’s Eve

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Hong Man Choi on New Year’s Eve
nickcuc547
11/19/07 4:32:31PM
Fedor Emelianenko (26-1) will, in fact, fight in Japan on New Year’s Eve. His opponent? Seven-foot-two, 352-pound Hong Man Choi (1-0).

Greg Savage made the announcement on today’s Savage Radio Show.

http://mmajunkie.com/
nickcuc547
11/19/07 4:33:30PM
fedor really needs to come to the ufc where he can face the best, pretty disappointing announcement if you ask me.
Lay_N_Pray
11/19/07 4:37:14PM
I'm getting tired of watching him walk in the ring and then 1 minute later walk out. He really does need to get with the UFC for his own good, or he will get bored and retire and waste so many more great years of talent in front of him.
Hardcastle
11/19/07 4:50:57PM
discraceful. this is better than signing with the UFC for over a mil per fight? my god. fedor must be downing a lot of vodka these days if he thinks he can still maintain any relevance in MMA fighting circus acts like hong man choi. i mean, in a previous post i wrote that he'd end up fighting dancing bears and possibly oleg taktarov, and although i was joking, this isn't much better. really, fedor needs to give his head a shake, drop his manager, and get into the UFC. not for white or the fertitta's, or for the money, but to prove himself as a true fighter to himself and to his loyal fans, who by now have started to become disillusioned and bitter with the ridiculousness of his fate in some backwards, ratfuck, thrown-together league like M-1.
Leland
11/19/07 5:00:08PM
This is a sad day. He needs to take on some big game fighters. UFC ty
Manak
11/19/07 5:08:33PM
how is this gonna happen cause isnt hong man choi fightin in the k-1 GP at the start of dec, dont see how u can go from jeromme le banner to fedor in 1 month
Kainlock
11/19/07 5:13:09PM

Posted by Manak

how is this gonna happen cause isnt hong man choi fightin in the k-1 GP at the start of dec, dont see how u can go from jeromme le banner to fedor in 1 month

Well that just means they want to garantee Fedor wins.
tuvok500
11/19/07 5:16:00PM

Posted by Hardcastle

discraceful. this is better than signing with the UFC for over a mil per fight? my god. fedor must be downing a lot of vodka these days if he thinks he can still maintain any relevance in MMA fighting circus acts like hong man choi. i mean, in a previous post i wrote that he'd end up fighting dancing bears and possibly oleg taktarov, and although i was joking, this isn't much better. really, fedor needs to give his head a shake, drop his manager, and get into the UFC. not for white or the fertitta's, or for the money, but to prove himself as a true fighter to himself and to his loyal fans, who by now have started to become disillusioned and bitter with the ridiculousness of his fate in some backwards, ratfuck, thrown-together league like M-1.

cmill21
11/19/07 5:46:35PM
Doubt it. Choi is fighting on the 8th in K-1's WGP.
mrsmiley
11/19/07 5:48:47PM
Choi will be 2-0 come New Years Eve.
Wouldn't that be the ultimate way of topping of the upsets of 2007?
wrona666
11/19/07 5:51:20PM
Wow i didnt know the circus was coming to town.........Who is fedor fighting next ten midgets at once.....
punisher
11/19/07 5:53:22PM
fedor will lose this fight he is over rated, and if he does win it will be because of a a submission, yes the big asian only has one fight but it ended in 16 second's, he is a 7"3 352lb Kickboxer, if fedor for some odd reason win it will be by submission which i doubt it, or decision witch will be very hard to stand this will be fedors tallest fighter he has foughtin in his life.
adamsb
11/19/07 5:59:12PM
WOW!!!!! that is going to be a shity fight fedor will destroy this guy lets give fedor a guy with one fight this is bullshit this is a joke fight im pissed
wapttn
11/19/07 6:04:14PM
lol.. this is such a bad idea

Cool article.. i didnt know that it was a rare disease that caused him to keep growing.. i didnt even know he was still growing haha. I had always assumed that it had something to do with his tumour, or that, that was a cover up for korean government testing haha

At the end of the day, fedor is gonna be giving up well over 100lbs and over a foot to his opponent, and thats if hong man choi doesnt end up being 8 feet tall and 400lbs by the time they fight. I know mighty mo dropped him, but with mma rules who knows how fast he can recover.. and he's so big that it could be ridiculously hard to control him on the ground. I'm not really sure what kind of plan Choi is gonna come in with, but this is gonna be a messed up fight.
Chuteboxer
11/19/07 6:09:17PM
Regardless of size, It's sad that Fedor's fighting such opponents. Pathetic.
cmill21
11/19/07 6:50:54PM

Posted by punisher

fedor will lose this fight he is over rated, and if he does win it will be because of a a submission, yes the big asian only has one fight but it ended in 16 second's, he is a 7"3 352lb Kickboxer, if fedor for some odd reason win it will be by submission which i doubt it, or decision witch will be very hard to stand this will be fedors tallest fighter he has foughtin in his life.

Fedor also fought semmy schilt, and he beat him up on the feet. Schilts a better kickboxer, and no fedor is not overrated.
rcg916
11/19/07 11:01:08PM
I want to see him fight top competition too...

But to ask him to turn down the kind of money that he's getting, all to satisfy the wants of the hardcore fans, is ridiculous. I think he takes what is best for him and his family into consideration before he feels the need to prove himself to the online "experts" that fill the MMA forums.

Ever think that the streak of top notch guys that he had to fight in PRIDE got him a little worn down, and he wants to enjoy the success a little? I dont blame him. Admittedly though, I dont harbor ideas that fighters fight specifically for the fans approval though, so call me crazy...
Blizzard
11/19/07 11:06:05PM
Fedor will dominate the fight and then what, what does it prove? NOTHING.
I see Fedor going on a 7' 3" slide down the MMA ranks.
LR
11/19/07 11:44:11PM
It's unbelievable that many of you miss the point.

Money.

Hong Man Choi is a spectacle. Fedor is a great fighter that the Japanese have grown to love. Entertainment and spectacle is how the Japanese MMA culture works. It's a card to make money. Get over it.

It's a feeder fight to make money. We won't see shit for awhile. Relax.
Ordep
11/20/07 1:00:59AM
I agree with most of you.... i would like to see him fight top competition....but...

He has been inactive for a while ( talking in a promotial way, I know he can beat the sh** out of anyone) plus he's new to M-1, so I think its a good move to put him against this guy. Why?? Let say he fights Barnett and he loses... that mean M-1 wasted all this time, money and drama with all this signing Fedor situation etc..

Patience .... he'll fight some real contenders soon, he's still #1 HW ( >>IMO<<) but he's still human and need to catch up.
DCRage
11/20/07 6:46:55AM
Geez, he's starting to get in a Silva-Liddell situation with these on-again, off-again rumors and announcements. Yet they can throw Choi at Fedor but not Lesnar? Strange.
waylon_o
11/20/07 8:28:44AM

Posted by punisher

Go back to sherdog and quit making unintelligent posts.
Zekeil
11/20/07 9:44:55AM
hi
Rich78
11/20/07 9:50:28AM
I think that Fedor is without a doubt the best p4p fighter, but is it really too much to ask that he fights someone that could pose a threat? Hopefully this will just be a warm up match, and they manage to get a Hunt, Barnett etc. for him next, otherwise I fear he will turn into the MMA equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.
Lay_N_Pray
11/20/07 2:38:21PM
How are we missing the point of money?

Everyone understands fighting is a job and the best should be paid richly, but the UFC offered him over 1 million per fight base salary! Throw in bonuses and sponsors and he would be making enough money to live comfortably anywhere in the world.

I understand he wants money and he could have got it in the UFC while testing himself as an athlete and proving to everyone he is still the best heavyweight in the world.

It's a very disappointing choice he made in my opinion, and if you are going to fight out of the UFC at least fight a veteran...fight Barnett, fight Rizzo, hell he could even fight Rothwell.

But he should be in the UFC
zephead
11/20/07 5:55:40PM
This is sad.
tuvok500
11/20/07 7:15:45PM
they will probably fight at the intermission before the parade of clowns and the dancing dog !!

stickyhash421
11/21/07 12:56:24AM
i dont care i just want to see him fight again