Report: Erik Koch Expected To Face Jose Aldo At UFC 147 Or UFC 149

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Erik Koch Expected To Face Jose Aldo At UFC 147 Or UFC 149
sparky
4/25/12 10:02:09PM
There has been a bunch of confusion over what is actually going to happen at UFC 147 since Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen was moved off the card. Dana White said at the Brazil press conference that Jose Aldo would "probably" be moved onto the card to defend his UFC featherweight title, as opposed to UFC 149 where he was originally scheduled. But who would he fight? Hatsu Hioki was just booked against Ricardo Lamas. Dustin Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung is only five weeks before UFC 147 (which is tentatively scheduled for June 23rd in Belo Horizonte, Brazil), so who's left? MMA Weekly has your answer:

Erik Koch looks like the "to be named opponent" for Aldo's next title defense, whenever the UFC decides on a date for the featherweight champion to get back in action.

Sources close to the two fighters confirmed that Koch is the likely candidate to get the shot at Aldo, although bout agreements have not been issued for the 145-pound title fight showdown.

Link
prozacnation1978
4/25/12 10:48:26PM
They have no one else
I like koch but the guy has fought since Sept
Brazil is more likely for it
Twenty20Dollars
4/25/12 10:55:46PM
They have Yuri.
Nick17
4/25/12 11:12:46PM
Frankie Edgar should get the shot, but if they put Aldo on the Brazil card I think they want to ensure he wins.
Budgellism
4/25/12 11:29:54PM

Posted by Nick17

Frankie Edgar should get the shot, but if they put Aldo on the Brazil card I think they want to ensure he wins.

Edgar and Bendo have agreed to a rematch for later this year.
Twenty20Dollars
4/26/12 12:04:50AM
Edgar should not get a title shot at a weight class that he hasn't even been fighting at.

Other guys deserve it.
FastKnockout
4/26/12 1:24:37AM
Koch is the only choice since Hioki wants another fight and Poirier is already set to fight KZ.
prophecy033
4/26/12 1:29:05AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Koch is the only choice since Hioki wants another fight and Poirier is already set to fight KZ.

THIS
jae_1833
4/26/12 1:30:22AM
You know what, in this age of dominant champs I would love to see Koch pull this off....and with a finish too. A bit of change is good, HW and LW have new Champs but they havent defended yet. HW got a very winnable fight considering Mir's chin and LW is ANOTHER rematch. So this has potential, not too much but it definately could work out for him especially with Aldo's drama with weight and stuff.
Chael_Sonnen
4/26/12 1:47:17AM
WAR Koch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twenty20Dollars
4/26/12 1:52:59AM

I didn't even have Koch beating Brookins in that fight.

Said this in the other thread.

Koch vs Lamas

Hioki vs Aldo
Pookie
4/26/12 2:43:33AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Edgar should not get a title shot at a weight class that he hasn't even been fighting at.

Other guys deserve it.

Good point, but which one?

Wahlberg hasn't fought at that weight class either, and Ferrell has a terrible skillset to fight Aldo, IMO
Poor_Franklin
4/26/12 5:16:24AM
as big of a fan of Aldo I have been as of late, i cant say i'll be pulling against Koch. I like Aldo & hope he makes an Anderson-type run, but it'd be hard to pull against Koch, who is not only a fighter i also like, but will also be a huge underdog & have everyone tell him he doesnt deserve the shot. i tend to pull for the huge underdogs, unless im betting against them.
jjeans
4/26/12 5:22:09AM
In my rankings I have:

1. Jose Aldo
2. Hatsu Hioki
3. Chad Mendes
4. Kenny Florian
5. Pat Curran
6. Dennis Siver
7. Patricio Freire
8. Tatsuya Kawajiri
9. Diego Nunes
10. Dustin Poirier

Erik Koch would be number 11 as Sivers addition pushed Koch out but this fight is a huge step down in competition... Especially for a champion.
TeamDEY
4/26/12 9:03:20AM
this just shows how weak the FW division is. Koch is ok but he is no where near ready yet... Aldo will destroy him.
cowcatcher
4/26/12 9:20:17AM

Koch vs Lamas

Hioki vs Aldo

If Hioki wants another fight before he fights for the belt this is irrelevant though.
gartface
4/26/12 10:20:25AM

Posted by Pookie

Other guys deserve it.

Wahlberg hasn't fought at that weight class either, and Ferrell has a terrible skillset to fight Aldo, IMO

Twenty20Dollars
4/26/12 12:00:27PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Koch vs Lamas

Hioki vs Aldo

If Hioki wants another fight before he fights for the belt this is irrelevant though.

Yuri could be an option, though. Probably won't be as they'll prolly think he hasn't had enough UFC fights.
Twenty20Dollars
4/26/12 12:01:45PM

Posted by Pookie

Other guys deserve it.

Put them both in there to get smashed.

I regret watching that movie.