Report: Demian Maia agrees to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 95 in London

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Demian Maia agrees to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 95 in London
Wolfenstein
12/30/08 7:35:31AM
Undefeated UFC middleweight Demian Maia (9-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) has agreed to face former WEC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen (21-9-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at UFC 95 according to a report on Maia's official website.

UFC 95 is scheduled for Feb. 21 at the 02 Arena in London.

Link

This oughta shut us all up about this card haha!
imanidiot777
12/30/08 8:24:15AM
Should be a good fight at least. I'll have to pick Demian but I wouldn't count out Sonnen.
emfleek
12/30/08 8:34:05AM
Great fight.

I'll definitely have to think about this. I know for sure I'll be rooting for Maia, though.
The-Don
12/30/08 9:18:21AM
I am going to be rooting for Sonnen but I am not sure yet if he will pull this one off..
Gladiator
12/30/08 9:25:10AM
This should be a good matchup, gives the 95 card a little more shape. Is this card free on Spike?
theguido
12/30/08 9:35:22AM
Maia should roll over Sonnen if you ask me he's not as good as he thinks he beat a WEIRD Filho and in lackluster fashion. Anyway I'm going with Maia 2nd Rd. SUB.
MikeyG
12/30/08 9:55:13AM

Posted by theguido

Maia should roll over Sonnen if you ask me he's not as good as he thinks he beat a WEIRD Filho and in lackluster fashion. Anyway I'm going with Maia 2nd Rd. SUB.

agreed and maia will make him scream worse than he did against babalu or filho
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/30/08 10:13:24AM
excellent fight! glad to see sonnen back in the UFC
ohiostate1016
12/30/08 10:41:09AM
Perfect fight for Maia to prove that he's one of the upper level middleweights in the UFC.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/30/08 10:46:00AM
I really like both fighters. I'm really very torn here. don't know what im gonna do
wiggum
12/30/08 10:50:30AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by theguido

agreed and maia will make him scream worse than he did against babalu or filho

double agree......i was glad that sonnen beat filho, i always thought filho was overated myself (but thats for another time), but i wish he had beat a "healthy" filho instead.....as long as sonnen comes in with the same game plan he did against filho, i think he will win a decison...but i dont think hes gonna come with that game plan....i think hes gonna go for takedowns and think (like he usually does) that he has good sub defense....maia will catch him somwhere in the late first or second rds....with that being said, this card is really starting to come together very nicely......nate vs wilson and joe vs deigo are gonna be awesome fights..this one has the potential to be either another highlight reel for maia or snoozefest for sonnen...(hope for the highlight!)
sparky
12/30/08 12:02:06PM
Maia is going to destroy Sonnen just like all the other opponents the ufc has given him. I truely believe Demian Maia is the real deal. Futrue Middle Weight Champion.
RampageOwnedYou
12/30/08 12:28:16PM
This should be a sick fight.
Once it hits the ground though, who knows, will chael be able to survive?.
Diamondback2
12/30/08 12:55:09PM
I love the matchup!!!! Should be a good one and force Maia to be a little more agressive and throw in more striking.

For refrence i loke Chael and glad when he beat Filho as i 2 think he was overrayed.

But look at Chael's record.

21-9-1.

3 wins via Submissionn (one via strikes)

6 of his 9 losses have been by submission.

Forrest triangle'd him.
Horn armbar'd and choked him
Babalu traingle'd him
Prangley submitted him
And Filho did too (although it was questionable if he tapped verbally tho)

66% of his losses come to submission.

Of those that submitted him Maia is a better submission artist (IMO) than 100% of those guys.

I personally think this is a ploy ti boost Maia as i as many people believe he is a top MW and possible contender and the UFC might feel the same way. On top of that i cannot think of anyone legit enough to fight Maia at this point that has a worse record against sub's

I will pick Maia in this one, he has made me so much $ on this site, and this seems to be a fight Chael is meant to lose.
theguido
12/30/08 2:28:46PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Perfect fight for Maia to prove that he's one of the upper level middleweights in the UFC.

I'm just not sure Sonnen will give him that credabiltiy, I'm more apt to believe his ground war with Mcdonald and his dismantling of Quarry have put him above sonnen already but IMO there using Maia to more or less guage where Sonnen stands
Wolfenstein
12/30/08 3:40:35PM
I don't think Sonnen will be able to employ the same sprawl-and-brawl tactics that got him a wi over Filho. Chael has really good GnP but the difference between his punching power on the feet and on the mat are like night and day. He has absolutely no power on his feet, and his hand speed standing up looks like he's punching through a wall of gelatin. Demian might actually have the slight edge in standup.

Demian doesn't have the shot to take Sonnen down, but he has good enough striking to close the distance at the very least and clinch, where he can pull guard and get the fight where he wants it.

I think this is another top contender matchup. Sonnen just recently beat Filho (a very good friend of Anderson) so there's a bit of built up drama there, and Maia is the guy many are pegging as the "Silva killah".

Whoever takes this fight is most likely going right behind Yushin Okami, in the "I can't wait to get my ass whupped by Anderson Silva" waiting list.
DevonFoxy
12/30/08 4:13:53PM
Great fight Ill prolly be leaning towards Chael to beat him up with his reach and I can't see Maia taking down Sonnen. Probably pick Maia and bet on Chael cuz more than likely he'll be the dog.
prozacnation1978
12/30/08 4:55:27PM
great fight for main card i see maia sub chael but i think after this fight leites needs to face maia for number one contender
Mayhem13
12/30/08 11:26:47PM
Sonnen eats more subs then Jared Fogle.

Maia rnd 1 Sub :