Report: Cerrone vs. Henderson set for WEC in September, title implications not yet determined

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Cerrone vs. Henderson set for WEC in September, title implications not yet determined
emfleek
6/26/09 8:36:05AM
Top WEC lightweight contender Donald Cerrone (10-1 MMA, 3-1 WEC) will meet fast-rising prospect Ben Henderson (9-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) at an as-yet-unannounced WEC event in September according to a report from **********.com.

Cerrone had been expected to compete in a lightweight title rematch with Jamie Varner, but recent complications in the champ's recovery process from a hand injury have forced the change in opponent for Cerrone.

STORY
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/26/09 9:21:52AM
sounds like a fun fight
Jackelope
6/26/09 9:29:34AM
Finally, a balanced report on this situation. You heard it right from the mouth of the WEC's GM

"We were waiting to hear from [Varner] as far as his doctor's report. He went to the doctor, and he's not cleared yet. We're just going to have to wait and see. We're going to talk about what we're doing, where we're going with our lightweight division. Whether we do an interim title, how that works, I just can't comment yet because I haven't had the discussion yet.

While Cerrone has made several comments insinuating Varner is uninterested in revisiting the controversial January bout, Harris insisted the champ was hoping his health would allow him to again face "Cowboy."

"[Varner] wanted to fight Donald," Harris said. "But at the end of the day, it is about being ready and having things heal right. I know he's struggling with that, so we're going to sit down and talk about it."

Like I've maintained this entire time- Varner wants this fight so bad he can taste it. He wants to shut Cowboy's nut huggers up, and he wants to shut the cowboy up. What can you do when the doctors won't clear you to fight? He's had 3 surgeries now in less than 6 months. Yet, he's ducking
prozacnation1978
6/26/09 2:25:46PM
should be a great fight,
i think varner is ducking cerrone
i am glad that wec is having a interim title
Mayhem13
6/26/09 5:38:27PM
Benson is a good wreslter and has some pretty good ground and pound...and his jits don't seem bad..

He could definately make things tough for Donald, but I see the Cowboy putting him to sleep before the fight is over
breakdown5
6/26/09 5:43:30PM
His hand injury sounds pretty serious if it has required three surgeries on it, so I don't think that he's ducking him if he wouldn't be allowed to fight by the doctors.

Cerrone vs. Henderson will be lightning. It will be interesting to see Henderson's gameplan. Most of his wins are subs, but he has decent power in his hands too. I think Cerrone is probably a little more technical/precise with his strikes and is pretty good on the ground as well. Great fight.

MMA-San
6/26/09 10:09:30PM
I train with Henderson, and have had my experiences w/ Varner ...and I can honestly say that I believe Benson would beat Varner...if Varner can do minate Cerrone, then I expect Henderson can do the same.