Report: UFC to Buy the IFL

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: UFC to Buy the IFL
MMAcca
7/17/08 1:37:43PM
So says Adam Swift:

A Senior Producer at HDNet's Inside MMA tells MMAPayout.com that the IFL will be bought by the UFC.

MMAPayout.com has confirmed talks between the IFL and UFC. More details as they become available.

They've already signed a ton of their talent, so this would be a very smart move to keep EliteXC and Affliction from building their divisions. I doubt the UFC will keep everyone, but this allows them to get first dibs on who they want to keep and give the leftovers to the competitors.

Say what you want about the IFL, but they had a lot of very talented competitors on their rosters. And I'm guessing the asking price at this point is pretty low. Well done, Dana.

LINK
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/08 1:49:30PM
Wonder if that means they aquire Horodecki as well...
juanez13
7/17/08 1:51:25PM
I think Horodecki has got potential, but IMO he'd get killed in the UFC, way too many good wrestlers for him to handle + most of the stand up guys would beat him too.

i think he'd be better off going to WEC for a while first.
finnish_line
7/17/08 1:51:42PM

UFC just barely outbid me and my piggy bank, which is now smashed beyond repair.
rabbit915
7/17/08 2:21:15PM
They better get Matyushenko or ill .... i dont know what ill do but i wont be happy.
prozacnation1978
7/17/08 2:30:22PM
i think alot of these guys will be in their wec promotion with some guys going to the ufc
McBee
7/17/08 3:37:19PM
seems like a waste of money to me, just like Pride, pay millions of dollars for first dibs on the fighters? most of them would rather be in the UFC or WEC anyway so why pay for it, I am really confused, and the Janitor will get mopped up in the UFC and already has, biggest lay and prayer there is.
bojangalz
7/17/08 3:40:55PM
I had thought that this was coming a while ago... But since it was taking so long I figured the UFC decided not to do it because they would muddy the waters with too many 3rd rate fighters.

They'll get 3-4 poster boys, but I'm not sure if it was worth it given what they had to spend.

Edit:

Nevermind that last thought. If this means that they get Bas Rutten the deal is well worth it.
whardin19
7/17/08 5:34:37PM
I saw this coming. Anytime UFC gets a chance to buy out a rival MMA competitor I see them doing it.
McBee
7/17/08 5:36:53PM

Posted by whardin19

I saw this coming. Anytime UFC gets a chance to buy out a rival MMA competitor I see them doing it.

it was goingg to die anyway, why give people money to come into your space. Well we are not doing too great but with we are close to death the UFC will give us a couple million for our trouble
bojangalz
7/17/08 6:09:21PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by whardin19

it was goingg to die anyway, why give people money to come into your space. Well we are not doing too great but with we are close to death the UFC will give us a couple million for our trouble

They bought Pride because they were a threat to the UFC, and the Pride owners saw a chance to cash in. I think they could have just as easily waited until IFL folded, then picked up the fighters that they really wanted. I can't see how this is a good investment. There is no way they carry on with the IFL brand, and there are only a handful of fighters that can compete in the UFC.

Unless they see some sort of value in the video catalog (which I can't imagine there is), then this doesn't make much sense. They probably bought the entire franchise with less money then they would have been paying Fedor for one fight anyway so what the hell! Smoke'm if ya got'm boys!
KYGUY07
7/17/08 8:21:43PM
I really hope they get Matyushenko, and horodecki
madmarck
7/17/08 8:52:21PM
Anyone else wanna See Wagnney take on Faber?
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/17/08 11:25:39PM
im pretty sure they already bought it. on the silva irvin countdown , they had ifl footage. SCHULTZ HUERTA 2 ANYONE!!!!
Greene33
7/18/08 12:22:59AM
good job, the stock is only .14 cents, hell this board might of been able to pool enough money together to buy the god damn IFL.
IFL Stock Price
McBee
7/18/08 2:58:27AM

Posted by Greene33

good job, the stock is only .14 cents, hell this board might of been able to pool enough money together to buy the god damn IFL.
IFL Stock Price

I am selling at 14 cents, waste of money the fighters will not be held by anything anyway.
billycarnage
7/18/08 12:42:15PM
You got Boardwalk and Park Place why not by Baltic Avenue???

I don't like the IFL so to me they are just taking out the garbage.
MMAcca
7/19/08 2:31:25AM
IMO Zuffa are buying the IFL for few reasons.

As mentioned already, for some of the fighters and also for the fight catalogue for the purpose of Hl reels and fight build-ups etc,etc....

I think they're probably buying it for the format also.
Maybe Zuffa is going to run the IFL as a seperate entity like the WEC and just tweak it a bit to make it more successful.

There's been a lot of talk about the UFC starting to do unaired local developement shows, so maybe this is the platform they could use ?

Just a thought.....
McBee
7/19/08 3:14:08AM

Posted by MMAcca

As mentioned already, for some of the fighters and also for the fight catalogue for the purpose of Hl reels and fight build-ups etc,etc....

Maybe Zuffa is going to run the IFL as a seperate entity like the WEC and just tweak it a bit to make it more successful.

There's been a lot of talk about the UFC starting to do unaired local developement shows, so maybe this is the platform they could use ?

Just a thought.....

what did the IFL trademark teams? anything can be recreated and the UFC has been to enough different cities they understand how to. Just like Denny said on Inside MMA "buy and bury" I think the dying horse will die on its own there is no reason to waste the price of the bullet
MMAcca
7/19/08 4:01:26AM

Posted by McBee

Posted by MMAcca

Just a thought.....

what did the IFL trademark teams? anything can be recreated and the UFC has been to enough different cities they understand how to. Just like Denny said on Inside MMA "buy and bury" I think the dying horse will die on its own there is no reason to waste the price of the bullet

Was just a thought dude, calm down.

How dare anyone think differently to you.....
McBee
7/19/08 12:37:29PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by McBee

Posted by MMAcca

Just a thought.....

I was just stating also, not heated, sorry if if it came off to strong
MMAcca
7/19/08 3:45:06PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by McBee

Posted by MMAcca

Just a thought.....

I was just stating also, not heated, sorry if if it came off to strong