Report: Anderson Silva mulls offer to fight at light heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Report: Anderson Silva mulls offer to fight at light heavyweight
ChokeUout
6/7/08 12:03:22AM
“He [Dana White] promised an announcement that will blow people’s minds on Thursday. Don’t necessarily read anything into this as being the announcement, but I do know that they have talked with Anderson Silva about being on the card and fighting at light heavy and he wasn’t opposed to it, but there was nothing agreed to as of last week.”

It’s hard to believe that the “mind-blowing” announcement” that UFC President Dana White recently teased that would be “an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years” would be a blockbuster showdown between UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and former 205-pound kingpin Chuck Liddell at UFC 88 in September. Nonetheless, the thought of Liddell and Silva going toe-to-toe is downright crazy

You heard it here first
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/7/08 12:10:31AM
I really don't see anderson losing at LHW either. if you think im wrong , state who and how.
TimW001
6/7/08 12:12:27AM
Anderson Silva vs Liddell is an extremely interesting fight. Looking at who they are, just names, it's very interesting. But then you compare styles....this is a very interesting fight...
bullettdodger
6/7/08 12:14:00AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

I really don't see anderson losing at LHW either. if you think im wrong , state who and how.

i certianlly don't think you're wrong, but i think it would be a lot closer at LHW, as people wouldn't be as disposed to get stuck in silva's clinch at that weight... just seems his size advantage at MW wouldn't help thusly he would have more trouble at this weight... rampage or forrrest or shogun or even possibly wandy or chuck could pose possible problems
rabbit915
6/7/08 12:36:41AM

I think a really good wrestler with a definate size and strength advantage and good submission defense could beat him by grinding out a decision. No one at MW has the kind of size advantage im talking about. Unfortunately LHW is dominated by strikers so the candidates are lacking.

The obvious choice would be Rampage but i find his style very similar to Hendo's and we all saw how that went. He also has a tendency to get submitted and Silva is very capable of catching him in something.

My next choice would be Tito because of his skills at doing damage from within the guard (assumming he could get a takedown). Im not sure he has the skill to get that takedown but i could see him beating Silva. For the record i would still pick Silva to win but hed have a chance. This however is no longer possible because Tito has left the UFC.

My last candidate would be Machida. Machida has such a unique style that its really hard to tell how Silva would do against him because he hasnt fought anyone like him. Machida might be able to keep his distance and grind out a decision using his jab and reach advantage (i think he has one at least).
Gipper
6/7/08 12:36:48AM
i think shogun, griffin, t.silva, rampage, liddell, wand and hendo if he gets another chance can take out silva. not saying silva couldn't beat any of those fighters. but the lhw's are a different beast. not sure how he'd handle the bigger stronger fighters.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/7/08 1:07:20AM

Posted by rabbit915

I think a really good wrestler with a definate size and strength advantage and good submission defense could beat him by grinding out a decision. No one at MW has the kind of size advantage im talking about. Unfortunately LHW is dominated by strikers so the candidates are lacking.

The obvious choice would be Rampage but i find his style very similar to Hendo's and we all saw how that went. He also has a tendency to get submitted and Silva is very capable of catching him in something.

My next choice would be Tito because of his skills at doing damage from within the guard (assumming he could get a takedown). Im not sure he has the skill to get that takedown but i think i would pick him to beat Silva. For the record i would still pick Silva to win but hed have a chance. This however is no longer possible because Tito has left the UFC.

My last candidate would be Machida. Machida has such a unique style that its really hard to tell how Silva would do against him because he hasnt fought anyone like him. Machida might be able to keep his distance and grind out a decision using his jab and reach advantage (i think he has one at least).

i agree. machida would imo be the toughest fight for anderson.only problem is they are friends and training partners. machida could make middle weight but anderson is the champ. amazing how both of them realistically could own belts in 2 divisions by the time they hang it up.
holt8081
6/7/08 1:45:52AM
there is too much talent in the LHW divison for Silva.
Mchubb316
6/7/08 2:18:46AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen right now. I do think that the UFC need to beef up the MW division, so they don't have to talk about Silva moving up a weight class to get a competitive fight. I don't know how silva would handle the weight difference. He can strike with anyone, and his ground game in that division would be more than capable.
JimiMak
6/7/08 2:28:41AM
On one hand I'd rather see him rule his div. But w/ the weak talent pool there...

On the other hand I think he'd be a top 5 contender. He'd fit in w/ the group that can all theoretically beat each other any day.
Boo_Radley21
6/7/08 10:56:31AM
I'd actually love to see him fight any of the guys in the LHW division. He'd make a lot of really good fights and I think he could handle a lot of guys.

I wonder if Henderson would just take Silva's place in MW or move back up.
nubby
6/7/08 12:19:19PM
I don't really think the middle weight division is all that weak. You have Silva, Franklin, and Henderson with Bisping just coming in. Wanderlei Silva is probably moving down and a lot of the middle wieghts outside of the UFC have been losing or showing that they aren't that dominant. I think the reality is that similar to the welter weight division, a singular dominant fighter is taking over and making the rest look like chumps.
lordicast
6/7/08 11:56:09PM

Posted by rabbit915

My next choice would be Tito because of his skills at doing damage from within the guard (assumming he could get a takedown). Im not sure he has the skill to get that takedown but i think i would pick him to beat Silva. For the record i would still pick Silva to win but hed have a chance. This however is no longer possible because Tito has left the UFC.

i agree. machida would imo be the toughest fight for anderson.only problem is they are friends and training partners. machida could make middle weight but anderson is the champ. amazing how both of them realistically could own belts in 2 divisions by the time they hang it up.

FACT and with Nog at heavy they could own a monopoly!
chubbud22
6/8/08 2:20:33AM
I could see chuck catching Anderson and knocking him out; Chucks counter punching is awsome and it only takea one shot.
jakeiceman
6/8/08 5:03:05AM
Silva's striking is sick as hell but I think he would be playing in a whole different ballpark moving up in weight. He would be one of the smaller light heavies instead of a huge middleweight. I think anyone in the top 5 LHW would take him out but he could definately hang with the best of them. I think Rampage would pound the hell out of him and I think Liddell (a healthy one) could easily catch him with the best overhand right in the game and put him on the mat. Now Wandy vs. A. Silva would be an insane fight at either weight. Wandy has a hard chin and powerful hands and Anderson has pinpoint accuracy with a somewhat untested chin...I would definately pay to see that matchup.
hodge
6/8/08 10:02:14AM
Silva uses his reach to his advantage and he would be a really small LH weight so i can see chuck taking this fight easy
Bloodhound
6/8/08 4:12:06PM
meh i wouldnt want Anderson to go up to Light Heavyweight, i wanna see him fight Michael Bisping
kurt-2112
6/8/08 5:01:31PM
Anderson Silva, right now in my mind and most peoples mind he is the best fighter around. at LHW he does have more competition than now at MW, although a fight with Michael "The Count" Bisping would be pretty good. but if he moves up he has alot of good competators in that weight class.
dust
6/9/08 10:47:33PM
Liddell's sloppy kickboxing would be of no danger to Anderson Silva.