Rep: If Jones beats "Shogun," Evans could move to middleweight or heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rep: If Jones beats "Shogun," Evans could move to middleweight or heavyweight
Twenty20Dollars
2/7/11 6:16:57PM
link

It's no secret that the course of Rashad Evans' UFC career will be determined by what happens on March 19.

That's when his training partner, Jon Jones, meets champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in a UFC 128 light-heavyweight title bout originally designated for Evans.

But if Jones (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is victorious, Evans (15-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) has plenty of options that include trips to middleweight or even heavyweight, his co-manager, Malki Kawa, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Evans sprained his MCL in training this past week and was forced to withdraw from the bout with Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC). In a lousy twist of irony, he had chosen to stay out of the cage while waiting for the light-heavyweight champ to recover from a knee injury of his own. Evans, who previously held the title, earned his latest title shot with a decision win over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson this past May at UFC 114.
Twenty20Dollars
2/7/11 6:25:12PM
Rashad is 5'11" and already small in weight for LHW and is thinking about HW?

I always thought he could make MW though, because he looked somewhat small.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/7/11 6:32:24PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Rashad is 5'11" and already small in weight for LHW and is thinking about HW?

I always thought he could make MW though, because he looked somewhat small.

I'm more concerned with the fact that he turns into King Hippo when you punch him in the face. I mean, a gassed Thiago Silva almost ended him. Rampage almost ended him, too. Machida DID end him. I don't think he could handle the power of the heavyweights.

MW would be a more viable option for him if he can make that cut. Anderson does it, no reason to believe Rashad can't.
FastKnockout
2/7/11 8:23:22PM
I'm not the biggest fans of Bones Jones anymore. But, I will admit that his title shot is shaking up the division, and it's exciting.

Evans already fought at Heavyweight, his size and power disadvantage is what caused him to move down in weight after TUF. There is no way he can handle guys like Mir, Carwin, Lesnar, Dos Santos, and Valesquez. Hell, there is more than enough possibility for him to lose to likes of Struve, Kongo, Nelson, Mitrione, and Schaub.
Boo_Radley21
2/7/11 8:47:22PM
He wouldn't hold a title at HW. Being undersized and faster than your opponents can only get you so far before you face someone like Velasquez or Lesnar . I would like to see him fight at MW though that would make the division a little more exciting.
tcunningham
2/8/11 1:54:31AM
i could definitely see him going to MW. hes looked a little soft in the body at LHW. he could be leaner and faster at MW
prozacnation1978
2/8/11 8:29:20AM
at heavyweight really?????

middleweight would be good for evans

good matches for him evans vs okami, sonnen, chris leban
sbulldavid
2/8/11 8:53:50AM
Rashad vs Andy make it happen Dana
postman
2/8/11 11:49:27AM
More problems for him at MW if GSP moves up and beat Anderson he has the same problem as well as Nate Marquardt. He will stay at 205 IMO
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 4:24:16PM

Posted by postman

More problems for him at MW if GSP moves up and beat Anderson he has the same problem as well as Nate Marquardt. He will stay at 205 IMO

Bob, I think you're forgetting that Jackson camp fighters don't fight each other. Rashad has no incentive to remain at HW if Jones defeats Rua. Rashad was already the number 1 contender and won't fight a teammate.

He'll switch divisions until Jones loses the belt.
gartface
2/8/11 4:36:42PM
Ummm...he won the Ultimate Fighter at heavyweight.
postman
2/8/11 4:41:54PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Bob, I think you're forgetting that Jackson camp fighters don't fight each other. Rashad has no incentive to remain at HW if Jones defeats Rua. Rashad was already the number 1 contender and won't fight a teammate.

He'll switch divisions until Jones loses the belt.

Thats what I mean if GSP were to beat Anderson he agian has a teammate with a title. Plus Nate another teammate is a consistant contender at 185. Of course GSP would have to win and Jones would have to win so this could all be a moot point.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 5:07:32PM

Posted by gartface

Ummm...he won the Ultimate Fighter at heavyweight.

Yeah, he did. However, we hadn't seen his ability to take a punch on TUF. Now that we have, we know it's probably not going to end well for him getting drilled by Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, Dos Santos, Nelson, Struve.

Let's be real for a minute here, Tim. Rashad is 5'11. His wrestling may be good, but it's not as good as Velasquez's, Lesnar's, and Carwin's. He got his BJJ Black Belt from Rolles Gracie, which makes me question, seriously, how legit of a BJJ Black Belt he actually is.

Do you honestly believe on any planet that Rashad could use his greatest MMA weapon, his wrestling, to beat any of those guys I mentioned at his size?

Rashad has okay wrestling credentials, but Lesnar, Velasquez, and Carwin have off the chart credentials. Basically put, with Rashad's size, he'd be Randy Couture minus the Olympic level wrestling and height at the HW division.

Let's also look at who competed on the TUF HW.

Mike Whitehead, Dan Christison, Rob MacDonald, Tom Murphy, Keith Jardine, Seth Petruzelli, and Brad Imes.

Of those fighters, Seth, Jardine, Rashad, & MacDonald actively favor the 205 division.

The HW division is 50 times more potent than that entire cast. Not to mention that Rashad has been competing at 205 for so long he'd have to really make an adjustment.
Pookie
2/8/11 5:16:36PM
I have a gut feeling that Evans doesnt want to fight Jones not because of their friendship, but because he feels outmatched.
TS92turbo
2/23/11 12:39:33AM

Posted by Pookie

I have a gut feeling that Evans doesnt want to fight Jones not because of their friendship, but because he feels outmatched.

I dont know. Rashad can manage. Hes a good fighter. But if Jones beats Shogun, not a chance. Rashad at Heavyweight? Forget it. Imagine Carwin and Rashad at 225. Thats insane. Middleweight would be good. Evans vs Sonnen, Maia, Wandy, Bisping, Rivera, Okami or Mardquardt would be excellent fights. I dont see why same camp members dont fight each other. Depending on who It would make a great fight. Alot of people would love to see Jones vs. Evans. He may be intimidated, but we'll never know. Otherwise, good point.