Renzo Gracie to Fight Matt Hughes at UFC 109

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Renzo Gracie to Fight Matt Hughes at UFC 109
Next Page »
POLL: who wins
Renzo 28% (16)
Hughes 72% (41)
mentalcase
11/12/09 1:25:25AM
Heavy.com has confirmed with sources close to the UFC that a welterweight matchup between Renzo Gracie and Matt Hughes is in the works for UFC 109 in February.

Gracie, 42, last appeared in a February 2007 disqualification victory over Frank Shamrock. Rumors have circulated over the last month that the legendary Gracie family member has been in negotiations with the UFC. Both fighters have been approached about the fight, but bout agreements have not been signed.

link
fizzle
11/12/09 2:18:41AM
This is a fight I want to see. It would be awesome for this fight to get ink'd.
jae_1833
11/12/09 2:26:42AM
Well it looks like Matt will get his wishes after all......I think he gets a quick TKO victory here. Renzo is an old time Gracie fighter who is probably had his last good showing against a very old and retired Pat Miletich, afterwards he did get a split dec against Newton, and a DQ victory against Frank Shamrock, but those were not great showings at all, they were also over 2 years ago!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/12/09 4:06:15AM
The shamrock fight was a decent showing . Frank had nothing for Renzo and ultimately decided to intentionally dq himself , rather than get a loss . Then he had the nerve to blaim the result on Renzo's unwillingness to come to fight . Good reminder why i dont like frank .

I hope renzo takes this , sadly i see him losing a decision . Whats next for Hughes ? Drago? Luke Cummo?
prozacnation1978
11/12/09 4:19:52AM
huge fight
but i do see this as co main event,
RMFG_187
11/12/09 4:37:57AM
I see Matt finally scoring a KO win.
SpiderSilva
11/12/09 6:35:47AM
Wow

Matt"the american gracie hunter"Hughes

lol
Chuteboxer
11/12/09 6:47:58AM
Cool fight. Hopefully it happens.
Aaronno9
11/12/09 7:15:27AM
Im actually quite looking forward to this! Hopefully Hughes crushes him like he did Royce.
mrsmiley
11/12/09 7:18:54AM
Renzo will be a much tougher fight for Matt than Royce was.
I think Matt will probably score a UD victory,but it wouldn't suprise me at all if Renzo was able to pull out a victory here.
State_Champ
11/12/09 8:16:42AM
Nicely done, UFC.

I'll be picking Matt.

(Edit: This is my 500th post!)
emfleek
11/12/09 8:25:46AM
I think this will be a lopsided win for Hughes. He's got enough jits defense (and mostly strength) to negate Gracie and will pound him out within the first 3 minutes of round 1.
finnish_line
11/12/09 9:20:06AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Didn't he knockout Newton with a powerbomb?
Giant_Ochai
11/12/09 9:47:26AM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by RMFG_187

Hughes went out from the triangle at the same time and got lucky to wake up first.
Khaos
11/12/09 12:00:01PM
I'm actually quite interested in this fight, I see Hughes dominating Renzo, either finishing him early, or winning a UD.
RhythmAndStyle
11/12/09 12:28:24PM
Hughes doesn't want to take on one of the AKA team-mates..why take a fight with Renzo,but not with Swick,Kos or Fitch..cause he knew he would get finished in all three of those matches..and he'll probably take a UD for Renzo..but i'm guessin if Renzo comes into shape and fired up..he might be able to UD Matt or even finish him...
bjj1605
11/12/09 1:26:47PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Hughes is too much of a punk to take on one of the AKA team-mates..why take a fight with Renzo,but not with Swick,Kos or Fitch..cause he knew he would get finished in all three of those matches..and he'll probably take a UD for Renzo..but i'm guessin if Renzo comes into shape and fired up..he might be able to UD Matt or even finish him...

There is no way Renzo can win this fight. Matt Hughes is the better wrestler, probably as good or even a better grappler, and maybe for the first time in his career the better striker.

The hughes hate is really pretty strange to me. The guy is the MOST dominant champ in UFC history, hands down. Anderson may be soon but you've gotta give it to hughes based off his resume so far.

I for one am very excited for this fight, hughes should pound him out in the 1st or win a lopsided UD. But what I would really love to see is Renzo get submitted.
bjj1605
11/12/09 1:30:32PM

Hughes went out from the triangle at the same time and got lucky to wake up first.

Seriously? Hughes was not unconscious, he slammed him for god sakes! He may have been woozy from the triangle and even going out but he did not fall because he was unconscious. Re-watch the fight. He clearly lifted and forcibly slammed Newton to the mat. Merely falling wouldn't have produced that kind of power and would not have knocked Newton out.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/12/09 3:20:31PM

Posted by bjj1605
Seriously? Hughes was not unconscious, he slammed him for god sakes! He may have been woozy from the triangle and even going out but he did not fall because he was unconscious. Re-watch the fight. He clearly lifted and forcibly slammed Newton to the mat. Merely falling wouldn't have produced that kind of power and would not have knocked Newton out.

Hughes put newton against the cage to help alleviate the pressure and think about how he was going to escape . He passed out, fell face forward bringing newton down with him , knocking newton unconscious. Hughes admitted to going out and he admitted being shocked that he won . Why do you think hughes was sitting against the cage confused ?

Rush
11/12/09 3:27:36PM
I seem to be the only one not really interested in this fight.
emfleek
11/12/09 3:33:12PM

Posted by Rush

I seem to be the only one not really interested in this fight.

Trust me, you're not the only one. I have no desire to see it.
SpiderSilva
11/12/09 5:21:08PM
can Renzo make 170?
mk1630
11/12/09 6:41:10PM

Posted by bjj1605

I think your the one that needs to rewatch the fight man....a little too much love for Hughes?
george112
11/12/09 7:56:00PM
im actually suprised by some of the comments in this thread.

i see renzo actually giving hughes a run for his money here.renzo isnt stupid enough to try and turn it into a bjj match like royce.renzo is decent on the feet and has good cardio.

i really cant wait for this fight
mrsmiley
11/12/09 8:22:24PM

Posted by george112

im actually suprised by some of the comments in this thread.

i see renzo actually giving hughes a run for his money here.renzo isnt stupid enough to try and turn it into a bjj match like royce.renzo is decent on the feet and has good cardio.

i really cant wait for this fight

I agree george.

The more I think about,the better I think Renzo will do in this bout.

1. Renzo has only been KO'd once in 21 fights and that was against Hendo.

2.Renzo seems to make his best showings when he faces grapplers.
Win or lose.

3.And he's never been submitted.

BTW,if anyone gets a chance watch the Renzo Gracie documentary.
It's awesome!
emfleek
11/12/09 8:30:13PM
Renzo is also 42 years old and hasn't competed in nearly 3 years. I just don't see this fight being very competitive.
mrsmiley
11/12/09 8:31:49PM

Posted by emfleek

Renzo is also 42 years old and hasn't competed in nearly 3 years. I just don't see this fight being very competitive.

Good point as well.

Though that time off could work to his advantage too.
george112
11/12/09 8:38:04PM

Posted by emfleek

well matt hughes hasnt won against a big name in 3 years either.so i dont see it being as one sided as many of yall think
emfleek
11/12/09 8:45:52PM

Posted by george112

Posted by emfleek

well matt hughes hasnt won against a big name in 3 years either.so i dont see it being as one sided as many of yall think

Hughes has only fought big names. He may not be near the top of his game anymore, but I'm still 99% positive that he's got way more left in his tank than Renzo.

Who else besides Serra has beat GSP or Alves recently? No one. That doesn't mean Hughes has lost it. It just means he's not as good as those guys (more than likely) and the rest of the division can say the same thing.
george112
11/12/09 8:52:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

Posted by emfleek

Hughes has only fought big names. He may not be near the top of his game anymore, but I'm still 99% positive that he's got way more left in his tank than Renzo.

i agree that hes got more in the gas tank.

but in 3 years his only wins have come from 2 decision victories over Serra and Lytle..hardly the competition he used to face...well i guess he did still face that kind of competition but it was only 2 losses to GSP and a brutal KO by Alves.
Pages: [1] 2