Renzo Gracie considering comeback as a lightweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Renzo Gracie considering comeback as a lightweight
MMAcca
10/27/08 1:58:17PM
A return to active competition by one of MMA’s true legends may be on the horizon.

Renzo Gracie revealed this past weekend that not only does he consider himself not retired, but he has been contemplating returning to competitive fighting as a lightweight.

Gracie made the revelation during a panel discussion that proceeded the world premiere of the documentary Renzo Gracie: Legacy at the United States Film Festival in Philadelphia this past Saturday.

Gracie has not competed since EliteXC’s first-ever event in February of 2007 in Southaven, Miss. Facing fellow legend Frank Shamrock in a middleweight bout, Gracie was declared the winner after Shamrock was disqualified for delivering illegal knees to the head.

LINK
jae_1833
10/27/08 3:02:22PM
If he does come back he should go to a small Org.....I think the UFC LWs would seriously own him....BJJ and all!!!
mrsmiley
10/27/08 4:12:13PM
Man you can't dislike Renzo.
He's without a doubt one tough dude.
While Renzo is far from being a top 10 by todays standards,He's still got the goods imo,to give a majority of the guys around today some trouble.
Manfred
10/27/08 4:35:19PM
At 40, he took on Militech, Carlos Newton and F. Shamrock within 6 months and won all three. He'd get pwn'ed in the UFC, but I'd still like to see him in some other orgs.

Classy as all hell too. How can you love that guy? Odd that he'd drop from middle all the way down to LW. Although he said he never had to cut. He joked at the Shamrock weigh-ins that he had his keys, cell phone, spare change and stuff in his jeans pockets
4u2nv
10/27/08 5:27:27PM
Id love to see him compete but not lose! today fighters r very knowledgable of bjj and fighting and to well arounded. I can't see him going to the UFC or WEC
bullettdodger
10/27/08 7:14:45PM
I gotta agree with most of the playground on this one, i don't see Renzo being able to hang with the stacked LW Division in the UFC. I think any smaller organization would be more than lucky to have him, however i do think he would come with a fairly hefty price tag that most organizations would not be able to afford...
jae_1833
10/27/08 11:16:11PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Man you can't dislike Renzo.
He's without a doubt one tough dude.
While Renzo is far from being a top 10 by todays standards,He's still got the goods imo,to give a majority of the guys around today some trouble.

Don't get me wrong...I like the guy plenty....I just think he would do better in the WEC or somewhere other than UFC is all.
Svartorm
10/28/08 1:20:10AM
It would be cool to have him in UFC, as a "super fight", like Renzo vs. Demian Maia, or something like that, just as a BJJ showcase. I don't think hes got it in him to be truly competative, but I'm sure he could put on a good show with the right opponent.
cmill21
10/28/08 1:29:35AM

Posted by Svartorm

It would be cool to have him in UFC, as a "super fight", like Renzo vs. Demian Maia, or something like that, just as a BJJ showcase. I don't think hes got it in him to be truly competative, but I'm sure he could put on a good show with the right opponent.

I would love to see a Legends event put on by the UFC. Bring the old dogs back in for one last show, something for us hardcores you know, and one last hurrah for all the old guys.
The-Don
10/28/08 8:11:15AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Svartorm

I would love to see a Legends event put on by the UFC. Bring the old dogs back in for one last show, something for us hardcores you know, and one last hurrah for all the old guys.

This would be a huge show.. you can actually market Ken Shamrock in an event like this.. get Royce back, Dan Sevren Bas Rutten ... You know most of these guys would love a chance to compete again.. I'd pay to see this true these guys are not as explosive as todays fighters but against each other it would be an awesome show.
jae_1833
10/28/08 11:11:25PM
This will start a whole new thread!!