Renato "Babalu" Sobral to defend Strikeforce title against Gegard Mousasi on Aug. 15

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Renato "Babalu" Sobral to defend Strikeforce title against Gegard Mousasi on Aug. 15
lohmann
7/27/09 5:03:36PM
The first two pieces of the scrambled puzzle left by Affliction's recent demise have fallen into place as Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Renato "Babalu" Sobral (35-8) will defend his title against Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1) on Aug. 15.

Sobral and Mousasi, who were originally scheduled to meet at the now-canceled "Affliction: Trilogy," will instead step into the cage at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., on the main card of "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg," which airs live on Showtime.

Mousasi will compete on the card with a new Strikeforce contract, Afromowitz said, and not as a loaned commodity from M-1.

source
Twenty20Dollars
7/27/09 5:07:44PM
Even better. Glad I have showtime.

Irish_Pride
7/27/09 5:11:59PM
That's great. This was the fight that I was really anticipating on Affliction's card and now I get to watch it for free on August 15th. This is going to be one hell of a fight.
scobac
7/27/09 5:16:50PM
M-1 let Mousasi go to strikeforce w/o demanding co-promotion?
DCRage
7/27/09 5:20:09PM
That is BIG for SF. Not only does the fight still happen but now it's for the title...instant credibility for the division. They'd better put this event on online PPV since I don't have Showtime. If they do I am buying.
jay98107
7/27/09 6:36:06PM
Good news for Mousasi, he seemed very upset that he wouldn't be debuting in America next month after Barnettgate. I think he takes this fight.
Wolfenstein
7/27/09 6:49:13PM
Awesome...what started out as Strikeforce's best looking card, was taking a sudden turn for the worse when a number of injuries started up. First Overeem was out, then Riggs, now possibly Thompson. I'm just glad we're getting back on track.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jay Hieron going up against Diaz. I think that would be a hell of a fight.
kopower
7/27/09 6:49:59PM
If strikeforce signs a few more of these guys they could give the UFC some legit competition. Too bad Overeem keeps getting injured and Cung is preoccupied with acting.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/27/09 6:53:18PM
this is amazing news and under exclusive contract now,...wow cant wait to see what happens with the fighters they had now that affliction is dust
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/27/09 7:17:06PM
I see Mousasi walking away with the belt!
Jackelope
7/27/09 7:28:26PM
Wow.. if Strikeforce can sign Lil' Nog and another name or two they'll have started themselves up a pretty decent little LHW roster
The_Metal_Maniac
7/27/09 7:42:01PM
This fight makes me happy .... ..see

telnights
7/27/09 8:02:13PM

Posted by Jackelope

Wow.. if Affliction can sign Lil' Nog and another name or two they'll have started themselves up a pretty decent little LHW roster

I think you were meaning to say StrikeForce and not Affliction.

But yeah this is a good signing for StrikeForce
mshalosky
7/27/09 8:06:05PM
babalu will take this. first he already has the belt and will be fighting with strikeforce which he is use to. second he is fighting in cage which he has done many times being the ufc and strikeforce veteran he is. third i think moussasi is a little overhyped and babalu is a little underated
babalu takes a decision
Jackelope
7/27/09 9:02:21PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jackelope

Wow.. if Affliction can sign Lil' Nog and another name or two they'll have started themselves up a pretty decent little LHW roster

I think you were meaning to say StrikeForce and not Affliction.

But yeah this is a good signing for StrikeForce

Yeah, you're right. I've been having a lot of mental lapses lately. I need my upcoming vacation, lol
XblacksheepX
7/27/09 9:03:47PM
Good news!!!
sclasclemski
7/27/09 9:21:10PM
just plain awesome...so glad this fight is still gonna happen and even better now that its for a title...and what a way to legitimize the Strikeforce LHW belt
chickmagnet
7/27/09 9:29:33PM
Mousasi by beatdown!!!

cowcatcher
7/27/09 9:49:06PM
affliction folding might just save strikeforce from going down the same road as affliction because all those injuries really could have hurt this card and the promotion in general. im glad they inked this one, hopefully they can slavage a couple more of their fights that were supposed to air with replacements or at least find enough talented fighters to fill the remaining slots in with.
prozacnation1978
7/27/09 10:38:54PM
good fight but i would rather see the 3 title fights that got scratched though
GSPwnzore
7/28/09 12:42:38AM
wouldn't you be better off getting showtime for a month instead of paying $49.95 for a payperview DCRAGE?
Nightmare27
7/28/09 1:36:34AM
This is now instantly the best fight on the card. Should be the main event, I understand why its not, but it will be for me.
mentalcase
7/28/09 1:48:20AM
everyone seems to have jumped on to the mousasi band wagon saying hes gonna crush babalu

don't get me wrong i know gegards a great fighter i just have trouble figuring out how he wins this fight

babalu has only been KOed by a prime chuck (twice) and by lambert (every one has one bad day) i haven't seen mousasi KO anyone that good in MMA yet

hes not gonna sub sobral

and when the fight goes to a decision sobrals won 12 mousasi won 2

EliasG
7/28/09 2:11:48AM
This fight could be really good. I think, though, that Mousasi is significantly better in all areas than Babalu right now.
sclasclemski
7/28/09 6:39:51AM
Mousasi may have only won two decisions but he only has two losses on his record and those haven't been for awhile...he deserves to have a bandwagon...he is a very promising young next generation fighter that I know I"m pumped to see enter the big US stage
mentalcase
7/28/09 6:49:14AM

Posted by sclasclemski

Mousasi may have only won two decisions but he only has two losses on his record and those haven't been for awhile...he deserves to have a bandwagon...he is a very promising young next generation fighter that I know I"m pumped to see enter the big US stage

yes i think that is a positive the fact that he has only won 2 decisions that means he finishes fights, im just trying to figure out how mousasi wins this fight
cowcatcher
7/28/09 7:35:55AM

Posted by mentalcase

everyone seems to have jumped on to the mousasi band wagon saying hes gonna crush babalu

don't get me wrong i know gegards a great fighter i just have trouble figuring out how he wins this fight

babalu has only been KOed by a prime chuck (twice) and by lambert (every one has one bad day) i haven't seen mousasi KO anyone that good in MMA yet

hes not gonna sub sobral

and when the fight goes to a decision sobrals won 12 mousasi won 2

hes KOd cyborg and jacare which arent top 10 guys but they are solid fighters

hes subbed kang, melvin, hunt and the donger and id say thats not a bad list, but those guys can all be subbed.

hes beaten the guys put in front of him and only improved since losing to gono, plus its easy to get on a guys bandwagon when you can see his skills in action when hes facing solid competition even if its not against top ten talent. i think he wins this fight by whatever he wants, babalu is a good fighter, and is always hanging around the top 15, but gegard has looked as dominant as any fighter lately.