Reljic vs. Thales

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Reljic vs. Thales
POLL: Goran or Thales
Reljic 67% (20)
Leites 33% (10)
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 6:18:03PM
Now this is a tough one to pick. I am gonna go Thales. He is smart enough not to sit and throw with Goran. Who probably already is one of the best strikers in all of MMA. By the way, with the way Goran had his stance against Wilson, it seems if you throw kicks at his side, your gonna be landing all night. I think Thales should soften him up with kicks and dirty boxing, take him down and use his underated JJ. And this Goran, at this weight class, very smart move, he will be a beast. I hope this fight gets televised, should be fun.
ziegler3334
9/7/08 6:30:10PM
Reljics first UFC fight was televised and he didnt disappoint, so im guessing this one will be too, thankfully.

Thales won on the cards against marquardt, but it was due to 2 points deducted. nate clearly won the fight, so i'm not too confident in leites. Reljic showed his stand up prowess in his last fight and he is dangerous on the ground as well.

I would say that the ground game could go either way, but that reljic has the better stand up.

also, he will be a bigger middleweight than leites, which could be good or bad depending on if he loses gas faster at a lighter wieght.

reljic, tko, 2nd round
gsquat
9/7/08 6:31:04PM
Not for me... I gotta go with Reljic. I was impressed with his last fight, and unimpressed with Thales's last fight. Reljic didn't get submitted by someone who is probably a better jj practicioner than Leites. Goran, R1 KO/TKO.
copcopps
9/7/08 6:37:16PM
Reljic, I thought he would get wrecked by Gouveia on the ground but he didn't in fact he totally tooled Wilson on the feet which isn't that bad. Also Thales's cadrio can be suspect at times also Marquardt beat him if it wasn't for the penalties
Khaos
9/7/08 7:13:56PM
I got to go with Reljic, he looked very impressive in his last fight, and should beat Leites, my prediction:Reljic by TKO in the 2nd.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 7:19:02PM
First of all Thales was easily beating Nate until Nate cheated. And he cheated twice. Dont you realize that Nate only did good after illegally kneeing Thales in the head. Its funny and telling how when both fighters where fighting on an even level Thales was the clear winner. A illegal groin shot is one thing, a illegal knee is different. That should have been a dq win right there for Thales. Its a testament to how talented he is that he won that. I wanna see Thales illegally knee Nate in the head, and then immeidatly fight Nate and see how Nate would do. Last time I saw an illegal knee, right at the beginning John Alessio kneed Brock Larson, and boom, the fight is a DQ win, you know why, because every reasonable person and their momma knows it is unfair to ask Brock to fight after that. So why did Thales have to fight after that. Yet he still won. I am shocked by this talk of Nate should have won that fight. It gets my temper up, I have to count to 10 to make this post within the realms of this site's temperament. When you cheat in a fight, your not a real winner. Thales fought fairly and won. Hes a better fighter than Nate, it s plain as nebraska is flat.
nickcuc547
9/7/08 7:23:41PM
reljic can hang with thales on the ground and he has better standup, i think he takes a decision.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 8:30:02PM
I think Thales is one of the most complete fighters in all of MMA, I am taking him for the pick.
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 8:38:00PM

Posted by PrinceofTranceGlobal

First of all Thales was easily beating Nate until Nate cheated. And he cheated twice. Dont you realize that Nate only did good after illegally kneeing Thales in the head. Its funny and telling how when both fighters where fighting on an even level Thales was the clear winner. A illegal groin shot is one thing, a illegal knee is different. That should have been a dq win right there for Thales. Its a testament to how talented he is that he won that. I wanna see Thales illegally knee Nate in the head, and then immeidatly fight Nate and see how Nate would do. Last time I saw an illegal knee, right at the beginning John Alessio kneed Brock Larson, and boom, the fight is a DQ win, you know why, because every reasonable person and their momma knows it is unfair to ask Brock to fight after that. So why did Thales have to fight after that. Yet he still won. I am shocked by this talk of Nate should have won that fight. It gets my temper up, I have to count to 10 to make this post within the realms of this site's temperament. When you cheat in a fight, your not a real winner. Thales fought fairly and won. Hes a better fighter than Nate, it s plain as nebraska is flat.

Does someone have a Thales Leites man crush??
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 8:52:03PM
Is that a man crush. Or is that expressing that I am sick to my stomach of people saying Nate should have won that fight. Anything illegal is cheating, sometimes intentional sometimes unintentional. Not only was this illegal, it was a knee, and not only was it a knee, it was a knee to the head. Thales was much better up until that point. How uneducated of a person do you have to be to not take that into account. How can people not realize that if Thales had done that to Nate, he probably would have knocked Nate out and won right there. Other times when this happens, fights are stopped. This poor guy had to fight under a circumstance that totally schewed the compititve balance of the fight. Yet he still won. That shows the he is not only better than Nate, but he is a notch above.
mrkennedy
9/7/08 8:59:34PM
Leites deserve to fight top cotender like Yushin Okami or a rematch vs Marquardt
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 9:05:02PM
That's a whole lot of IF's.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 9:08:27PM
You dont get it. He did an illegal knee to the head. That is not an if. That is a fact. What part about that do you not understand. Yet, Thales still was able to come up with the victory. I would love to see the rematch, itll be an easier win for him.
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 9:23:20PM
There's not much to understand. The ref didn't DQ the fight and Thales got the win because of the 2 deducted points. If you add them points to the judges' cards, Marquardt wins the fight, so I don't see how you can say Thales was winning.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 9:43:50PM

If there ever was a post where this was needed this was it. I cant believe you think a guy who illegally kneed a downed opponent in the head deserved to win. I would shudder if you where a ref.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 9:45:07PM
By the way, even with that illegal move, and the shots to the back of the head, and the dirty piledriver. Even with all that nonsense. Thales still won.
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 9:51:06PM
I never said he deserved to win, I said according to the JUDGES Marquardt would have won if not for the deductions.
casey64
9/7/08 9:53:56PM
Reljic
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 9:57:52PM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

I never said he deserved to win, I said according to the JUDGES Marquardt would have won if not for the deductions.

That makes zero sense. That's like saying Chuck would have won if not for the knockout punch. I cant believe you bring up deductions. Nate was fortunate he was not dq'd right there. That was bad reffing. That's like saying Tito would have beat Rashad if not for the deductions. Well techinally that is true. But in reality it makes no sense. Cause if Tito is not grabbing the fence to avoid being takendown, how many times did he do it that contest, Rashad contantly has top position and wins a deciiosn or pounds him out. So if anything that cost Rashad more than Tito. So whether or not you think the right guy won that night, saying he would have won without the deductions is a terrible statement. Cause what caused those deductions was him cheating.
FrankTheTank1181
9/7/08 10:00:47PM
I'm not saying it was right or wrong, honestly I'm just havin fun pushing your buttons.
MALICE
9/7/08 10:13:10PM
Leites won a split decision. Do you know what that means? Nate had two points deducted, that's should give Leites 2 free rounds, almost giving him the automatic UD. But one judge still had Mardquart winning the fight. That's how much more decisively he was winning the rounds.

Leites only won because of the 2 deducted points. Nate would win in a rematch.

And this knee you can't seem to get over. He threw it just as Leites was standing up. Yes it was illegal but it can happen to anyone. Just bad timing.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 10:33:31PM
Its not a matter of who it wont or will happen too. Its a matter of an illegal move that compromises the fighters ability to continue. This is not a cheap shot. You can recover in minutes from that. And illegal knee to the head takes DAYS to recover from. Why is it, then when they where fighting on fair terms Thales was schooling him. Why is it, Nate only started doing good after the illegal move. I dont think you have been kneed in the head the way it happened in that fight. To say your seeing cobwebs is an understatment. And to bring up how close or not close the fight is, that's riduclous. If you see cobwebs from a legal shot, like Chuck, then Rashad deserves the victory. But that knee Thales got high with, is a night ender. That was a knockout shot, its a shame Thales is getting this heat cause he's a brave guy. Most fighters would lay down and force the ref to make the right call. Every time this happens in Japan the fight is over. Cuase they are smart. They understand it is unfair to the fighter who got the illegal shot. And even in the states many times fights are DQ'd. Of course Thales will still try to fight. Hes a fighter. But he was beating Nate fair and sqaure, and Nate was opppurtunisitc of the illegal blow and used it to his advantage to almost steal the fight. Thales was not the same the rest of the fight after that shot. How can you be an honest person and be fair minded and say that was a fair fight. The man was put in an unfair sitaution the rest of the fight, he was not only fighting Nate, he was fighting off the effects of a horrible illegal blow, yet he still won the fight under those unfair circumstances.
MALICE
9/7/08 11:09:50PM

Its not a matter of who it wont or will happen too. Its a matter of an illegal move that compromises the fighters ability to continue. This is not a cheap shot. You can recover in minutes from that. And illegal knee to the head takes DAYS to recover from. Why is it, then when they where fighting on fair terms Thales was schooling him. Why is it, Nate only started doing good after the illegal move. I dont think you have been kneed in the head the way it happened in that fight. To say your seeing cobwebs is an understatment. And to bring up how close or not close the fight is, that's riduclous. If you see cobwebs from a legal shot, like Chuck, then Rashad deserves the victory. But that knee Thales got high with, is a night ender. That was a knockout shot, its a shame Thales is getting this heat cause he's a brave guy. Most fighters would lay down and force the ref to make the right call. Every time this happens in Japan the fight is over. Cuase they are smart. They understand it is unfair to the fighter who got the illegal shot. And even in the states many times fights are DQ'd. Of course Thales will still try to fight. Hes a fighter. But he was beating Nate fair and sqaure, and Nate was opppurtunisitc of the illegal blow and used it to his advantage to almost steal the fight. Thales was not the same the rest of the fight after that shot. How can you be an honest person and be fair minded and say that was a fair fight. The man was put in an unfair sitaution the rest of the fight, he was not only fighting Nate, he was fighting off the effects of a horrible illegal blow, yet he still won the fight under those unfair circumstances.

All I have to say is I just re watched the fight.

Rd.1
Leites control 1st half. Mardquart controls 2nd half. Close round. Could've gone either way. Might give it to Leites. 10-9

Rd. 2
Nate has the slight advantage. Leties grabbed the fence and Nate's glove. Nate hits Leites with an illegal knee. Leites has time to recover and Nate is deducted a point. Nate has some good GnP and gets warned for a strike to the back of the head. Nate wins the round. So 9-9.

Rd. 3
Nate controls the fight. Takes him down. Gets deducted another point for a blow to the back of the head. Instant replay shows it was legal. Nate wins by a slight advantage. So 9-9 again.

So Leites wins.

The knee did affect the outcome of the fight, but so did the deductions. It's a dead end discussion. Leites won.

It would be a great fight, but I'm leaning towards Reljic.
prozacnation1978
9/7/08 11:11:19PM
besides the nate the great fight that he should have lost thales hasn't beaten anybody yet i am not sold on him neither am i on reljic but if he stands with reljic goran will knock him out
he'll rain kicks on him
Wolfenstein
9/7/08 11:18:22PM
I'm going with Reljic because he has the better striking and he trains at Gracie Barra with Roger Gracie soI'm assuming his ground game is good enough to stay on the feet and bang.
FrankTheTank1181
9/8/08 7:34:57PM

1. Probably safe to say no one who posts here has been kneed in the head in the Octagon.

2. Chuck wasn't seeing cobwebs, he was asleep, the comparison doesn't work

3. This fight was not in Japan, also doesn't compare.

4. What's Nate supposed to do stop fighting? Both fighters fight until the ref stops the fight or a round ends.

5. Who are you to say how the shot affected him? Only he knows how he felt from the shot.
fedorwins1
9/8/08 8:53:51PM
Reljic will be a lot bigger, have the better striking, has more power, and has a great ground game also.

Reljic UD