Relishing Underdog Status, Shields Plans to Spoil Silva-GSP Megafight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Relishing Underdog Status, Shields Plans to Spoil Silva-GSP Megafight
FastKnockout
2/8/11 5:27:42PM
When Anderson Silva’s foot collided with Vitor Belfort’s face on Saturday at UFC 126, the long-running online chatter regarding a super-fight between the dominant Brazilian middleweight and welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre flared up again almost instantly. In the immediate aftermath, even UFC President Dana White expressed interest in promoting what he dubbed would be a “fantasy fight” and “the pound-for-pound championship.”

Before any of that can take place, St. Pierre will have to get through one of his sternest tests as a champion at UFC 129. His challenger, Jake Shields, has been pegged as a 6-to-1 underdog by the oddsmakers, but the former Strikeforce middleweight champion has designs on squashing the GSP-Silva dream matchup in Toronto on April 30.

“I love this role. I love getting looked past,” Shields said during a Tuesday press conference at Toronto’s Rogers Centre. “It’s exactly the same as [when I fought Dan] Henderson. Strikeforce was trying to throw me out on a loss, but I definitely had different plans. I went out there planning on spoiling it... and that’s exactly what I’m planning on doing here.”

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 6:30:41PM
I swear "I love being the underdog" is the new "if you ask me, we are the best team in the league" when they're on a last place team.

The Steelers said this same crap coming in to the Super Bowl, I'm like "dude, you're only a 2.5 'dog. Quit acting like your on the ass end of some horrific line"
pmoney
2/8/11 6:57:01PM
I really wish Hendo would've finished Shields in that first minute like he came so close to doing.

Dana White needs to stick to his guns, which he never does. Dunham loses to Sherk, Dana White considers him undefeated.

Kampmann gets robbed by the judges and Shields gets a title shot. Unbelievable.

NaturalBornKiller92
2/8/11 9:31:57PM

Dunham loses to Sherk, Dana White considers him undefeated Kampmann gets robbed by the judges and Shields gets a title shot. Unbelievable.

Maybe he wanted to bring in Shields because he is a bigger name than Kampmann. Still sucks for Kampmann any way you look at it but thats all i could think of.
pmoney
2/8/11 10:14:29PM

Posted by NaturalBornKiller92

Dunham loses to Sherk, Dana White considers him undefeated Kampmann gets robbed by the judges and Shields gets a title shot. Unbelievable.

Maybe he wanted to bring in Shields because he is a bigger name than Kampmann. Still sucks for Kampmann any way you look at it but thats all i could think of.

In my opinion, that's definitely the case. Dana brought him over solely to hype his ass and get GSP some new blood. So instead of saying "Oh Shields really lost that fight, let's give GSP Martin Kampmann", it's, "Former Elite XC and Strikeforce champ Jake Shields is on a 15 fight winning streak and primed to dethrone the 170 lb champ."

I would have much preferred, "Former Elite XC and Strikeforce champ Jake Shields has his 14 fight win streak halted by Top 5 contender Martin Kampmann." Then Dana gets to say that the champs of the "lesser" organizations can't even hang with the top 5 or 10 guys in the division in UFC. Whatever though. Judges ruined my dream on that one.
CCPRIDE99
2/9/11 8:00:51AM
Is it only a coincidence that mmas most exciting fight may be spoiled by its least exciting fighter
State_Champ
2/9/11 8:26:51AM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Is it only a coincidence that mmas most exciting fight may be spoiled by its least exciting fighter

You know, I used to agree with you that GSP/Silva was the most exciting fight the UFC could put together. However, the more I think about it, I would much rather see Silva try to capture the 205lbs Title than see him defend 185 against GSP.
Not that I don't want to see GSP/Silva but there are other fights I'd rather see.
teddythetuna
2/9/11 3:42:10PM
If he palns on spoiling anything he better be in better shape than the Kampmann fight.
BigMattZeus
2/9/11 7:43:08PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by CCPRIDE99

You know, I used to agree with you that GSP/Silva was the most exciting fight the UFC could put together. However, the more I think about it,

I would much rather see Silva try to capture the 205lbs Title than see him defend 185 against GSP.

For real. I've met Anderson and he looks like he walks around at 215. I'd love to see him tear up the LHW division, if he could, sadly Rich Franklin may have to go to another weight class if that happens
bjj1605
2/10/11 12:06:35AM
I think he's got a really good shot of doing it.

And to answer the question for the Dunham comparison: It's because Dunham was obviously robbed. You might not agree with the Kampman-Shields decision but a lot of people did. It wasn't a clearly wrong call. I scored it for Shields.

I don't understand all of the hate behind this guy. I think he's got a great shot at GSP. He'll be used to the weight cut now and I guarantee he'll be in shape. Its not uncommon for a guy to struggle the first time he cuts down to a weight (or in this case if he's had a long break from that weight). The second fight usually goes better.

I think Shields is GSP's most credible challenger since Thiago Alves. He spoiled Henderson's Strikeforce debut and he just might spoil this super-fight.
CCPRIDE99
2/10/11 3:45:34AM
if shields wins, anderson silva vs jon jones instead?