UFC Relegates Andrei Arlovski to UFC 82 Preliminary Card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Relegates Andrei Arlovski to UFC 82 Preliminary Card
nickcuc547
2/4/08 2:33:52PM
A heavyweight fight between Andrei Arlovski (11-5 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Jake O’Brien (10-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) will not be aired live as part of the UFC 82’s pay-per-view broadcast, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned over the weekend.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/02/04/ufc-relegates-andrei-arlovski-to-ufc-82-preliminary-card/
Gipper
2/4/08 2:39:07PM
it's ****** bullshit what their doing to aa.
WAR ANDREI ARLOVSKI
bullettdodger
2/4/08 2:43:09PM

Posted by Gipper

WAR ANDREI ARLOVSKI

It sucks, but its also just business... btw is that a Martin "The Hitman" Kampman avatar? Wondering when we're going to see him again since he had to pull out of the Franklin fight in 07
MALICE
2/4/08 2:44:28PM
Who knows why they do things like this. My guess is, if they don't know if Arlovski will be fighting for them anymore after this fight, The UFC doesn't want to market him. Instead, they put Diego or Koscheck on the main card, one of their more popular fighters, so they get their moneys worth out of the ppv.

I like Diego, and I like Koscheck, but I guess I would rather see Arlovski vs O'Brien on the main card.
juanez13
2/4/08 2:45:19PM
while i dont aprove of this fight being on the undercard, i dont mind it being there, because most likely it will be a snooze fest, unless AA turns it up a notch and goes for the kills, becuase O'brien will basically try to take the fight to the ground, and arlovski is gonna want to keep it standing, Arlovski probably finding success in stuffin the shot, but O'brien will hug him against the fence for a while, and when they break them up, andrei is not gonna want to throw to much leather because it will give O'brien a chance to take it to the canvas........
although something tells me andrei is gonna KO him in the second, i just cant help but think its gonna be a snooxe fest...
xburbx
2/4/08 2:45:21PM
Its smart business. If Andre resigned, they would have him on TV. If they put him on TV as a soon to be free agent, they just make him more attractive to another organization and up the dollar amount it takes to purchase him. They should do what they are doing and invest the TV time on guys that are sticking around. AA's time has come and gone. Nog would take him out. In fact, I'd put my money on Brock Lesnar in a Lesnar vs AA . AA was amazing at a time when Jeff Monson was a threat to the belt. Even though the heavy weight division can still use some depth, AA isnt going to do shit.
brutalbones
2/4/08 2:59:43PM
As much as I like AA, his last couple of fights have been boring, and a fight with O'Brian is stupid because everyone knows AA will win. Although once he wins, if he re-signs, the UFC needs to start putting him in title contention again.
juanez13
2/4/08 2:59:52PM

Posted by xburbx

Its smart business. If Andre resigned, they would have him on TV. If they put him on TV as a soon to be free agent, they just make him more attractive to another organization and up the dollar amount it takes to purchase him. They should do what they are doing and invest the TV time on guys that are sticking around. AA's time has come and gone. Nog would take him out. In fact, I'd put my money on Brock Lesnar in a Lesnar vs AA . AA was amazing at a time when Jeff Monson was a threat to the belt. Even though the heavy weight division can still use some depth, AA isnt going to do shit.

If im not mistaken, which im not, Arlovski beat Werdum in his last fight, Yes the same werdum who is next in line for the belt you can say it was a boring decision or whatever, but he won, no different than cheick kongo and Sylvia, who just fought for the title again, andrei is still a big factor in the HW division if he is given a chance to fight the big dogs of the division. you arent giving arlovski enough credit, not even sure you are giving him any, i think that right now he is top 5 HW in the UFC, with the capability of beating guys like Kongo, werdum(again), gonzaga, vera and other top guys in the UFC
brutalbones
2/4/08 3:02:45PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by xburbx

If im not mistaken, which im not, Arlovski beat Werdum in his last fight, Yes the same werdum who is next in line for the belt you can say it was a boring decision or whatever, but he won, no different than cheick kongo and Sylvia, who just fought for the title again, andrei is still a big factor in the HW division if he is given a chance to fight the big dogs of the division. you arent giving arlovski enough credit, not even sure you are giving him any, i think that right now he is top 5 HW in the UFC, with the capability of beating guys like Kongo, werdum(again), gonzaga, vera and other top guys in the UFC

I agree. AA is one of the fastest (if not thee fastest) strikers in the HW division. He also has great takedown defense and a very decent ground game.
emfleek
2/4/08 3:02:49PM
Undercard or not and signed or not signed...do you really think other organizations/promotions don't know who Andre Arlovski is?
juanez13
2/4/08 3:08:34PM

Posted by emfleek

Undercard or not and signed or not signed...do you really think other organizations/promotions don't know who Andre Arlovski is?

its not the promotion/org...its the people, the fans, although if he goes to another org, he still will have some name recognition, its not the same as having him on a huge PPV card, and millions of people watching him, than going to another org, which would bring alot more hype, it makes a big difference having him on the undercard if he isnt signing with them...
waylon_o
2/4/08 3:10:48PM
This is some bullshit. I've lost a lot of respect for the UFC brass over their handling of the Arlovski situation...and Couture, and Fedor
Gipper
2/4/08 3:13:43PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Gipper

WAR ANDREI ARLOVSKI

It sucks, but its also just business... btw is that a Martin "The Hitman" Kampman avatar? Wondering when we're going to see him again since he had to pull out of the Franklin fight in 07

no dude. it's chris lytle. how good is he looking lately? i think kampman is a few months away still with the knee injury. i do know it's just bussiness with aa. damn good bussiness too if aa does actually leave the ufc.
shawneth
2/4/08 3:28:39PM
Im so pissed. I was really looking forward to this fight. I'm guess Arlovski refuesed to sign a contract extension so they are giving him the Nick Diaz treatment. Just watch, even if its a quick finish they arnt gonna air his fight.
gabe531
2/4/08 4:22:20PM

Posted by waylon_o

This is some bullshit. I've lost a lot of respect for the UFC brass over their handling of the Arlovski situation...and Couture, and Fedor

i dont understand what ufc did that was so bad to randy?? he signed a contract fought 2 times and wants out. piss on that. if he wanted fedor so bad why resign??
Leland
2/4/08 4:34:40PM
really sucks that AA is on a prelim after WINNING, snorefest or not. Weaksauce
blood_and_fire
2/4/08 4:35:53PM
This is really ridiculous. With the HW division not really being one the UFC's strongest weight classes, Arlovski leaving would steal alot of it's already diminished popularity, annnd lose out on a potential title shot in the near future

Obviously Randy Couture is/was pretty much the Biggest name in the heavyweights, But who else after him?

Tim sylvia - The guy gets recognition....just not the kind he wants..or maybe deserves.

Mir - Former champ, Big wins over a few name fighters in Tank, Sylvia, and most recently Lesnar.

Nog - Yes, he's the new INTERIM HW Champ. But you're casual fan still doesn't know too much about him. His English is a little shakey but obviously we've seen before that the speech barrior hasn't sustained any real prejudice in the US. Anderson Slva, Lyoto Machida, Andrei Arlovski(at a time) just to name a few.

CroCop - Came in highly regarded, currently 1 - 2 in the UFC and riding a 2 fight losing streak.

those 4 guys i'd say are the more recognizable HW's. With Arlovski maybe being right after Sylvia due to him being a former champ too.

Werdum,Kongo,Herring,Gonzaga,Vera,Hardonk,Obrien,Sanchez,Lesnar

only other guys in the HW's

With this division really resting on the shoulders of a few fighters, The UFC HW's are really lacking in Big name and talent. Arlovski is a damn good fighter who's coming off wins over Fabricio Werdum and Marcio Cruz. Another win for him could put him back into title contention. I'd really hate to see him leave because there are matchups in the UFC very well worth paying to see.

AA vs Nog - i think AA would dominate the stand up but if it goes to the ground Nog poses a significant threat. But maybe not as much as you'd really think due to Arlovski coming from a strong Sambo background.

AA vs CC - People were talking about wanting to see AA and Fedor fight for a long time. Wasn't going to happen, but when the UFC aquired Crocop many hoped to see these two crafty not to mention very very fast for their size fighters go at it.

AA vs Kongo - Another possible great battle on the feet, has potential to be a great match.

AA vs Vera - Vera was suppost to be the "next big thing" in the UFC HW division til he dropped a sloppy decision to Tim Sylvia. His stand up is solid and he has an underrated ground game. Another chance to prove himself and see what he's really made of.

This is going to suck if AA finishes his contract and heads out to another Org. There are a few matchups out there that could be interesting..

AA vs Barnett
vs Mark Hunt
vs Sergei Kharitonov
vs Fedor

But it would be a big loss in talent and a marketing value. UFC should give this guy the money he deserves.

kevietre
2/4/08 4:55:35PM
id rather see arlovski fight than diego
Porch28
2/4/08 5:29:03PM
Total BS. Dana just gets mad when fighters don't want to fight for peanuts anymore
cmill21
2/4/08 6:04:14PM
Looks like AA's out the door. Perhaps Fedor vs AA is in the making.
SmileR
2/4/08 6:33:42PM

Posted by xburbx

Are you serious!?!
His last fight was a UD VICTORY over the guy who's next fight is a title fight!
His last loss many think was a robbery, had Sylvia not been the champ I and many others think it would have went the opposite way!

As for Lesnar beating him I think you should really think hard before putting any money on him! AA has some of the fastest hands in the HW devision not to mention a great takedown defense and a solid ground game. Lesnar shows promise but right now thats all he shows.
I'd love to see a fight with AA and Big Nog and i think it would go pretty much the same way Nog- Cro Cop did.
But AA got that big right hand of his so i think he'd stand a better chance then Cro Cop (That just might be because he's my favorite fighter though).

I hope he does re-sign with UFC as he's always going to be a fantastic fighter and a big draw to any event.
I think their just playing it safe keeping him on the undercard jut incase he doesn't re-sign.

Sorry for the long read but the "AA isn't going to do shit" thing got my back up.

But i suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion... even if it is wrong!!
SmileR
2/4/08 6:37:26PM

Posted by blood_and_fire

This is really ridiculous. With the HW division not really being one the UFC's strongest weight classes, Arlovski leaving would steal alot of it's already diminished popularity, annnd lose out on a potential title shot in the near future

Obviously Randy Couture is/was pretty much the Biggest name in the heavyweights, But who else after him?

Tim sylvia - The guy gets recognition....just not the kind he wants..or maybe deserves.

Mir - Former champ, Big wins over a few name fighters in Tank, Sylvia, and most recently Lesnar.

Nog - Yes, he's the new INTERIM HW Champ. But you're casual fan still doesn't know too much about him. His English is a little shakey but obviously we've seen before that the speech barrior hasn't sustained any real prejudice in the US. Anderson Slva, Lyoto Machida, Andrei Arlovski(at a time) just to name a few.

CroCop - Came in highly regarded, currently 1 - 2 in the UFC and riding a 2 fight losing streak.

those 4 guys i'd say are the more recognizable HW's. With Arlovski maybe being right after Sylvia due to him being a former champ too.

Werdum,Kongo,Herring,Gonzaga,Vera,Hardonk,Obrien,Sanchez,Lesnar

only other guys in the HW's

With this division really resting on the shoulders of a few fighters, The UFC HW's are really lacking in Big name and talent. Arlovski is a damn good fighter who's coming off wins over Fabricio Werdum and Marcio Cruz. Another win for him could put him back into title contention. I'd really hate to see him leave because there are matchups in the UFC very well worth paying to see.

AA vs Nog - i think AA would dominate the stand up but if it goes to the ground Nog poses a significant threat. But maybe not as much as you'd really think due to Arlovski coming from a strong Sambo background.

AA vs CC - People were talking about wanting to see AA and Fedor fight for a long time. Wasn't going to happen, but when the UFC aquired Crocop many hoped to see these two crafty not to mention very very fast for their size fighters go at it.

AA vs Kongo - Another possible great battle on the feet, has potential to be a great match.

AA vs Vera - Vera was suppost to be the "next big thing" in the UFC HW division til he dropped a sloppy decision to Tim Sylvia. His stand up is solid and he has an underrated ground game. Another chance to prove himself and see what he's really made of.

This is going to suck if AA finishes his contract and heads out to another Org. There are a few matchups out there that could be interesting..

AA vs Barnett
vs Mark Hunt
vs Sergei Kharitonov
vs Fedor

But it would be a big loss in talent and a marketing value. UFC should give this guy the money he deserves.

See this guy knows what he's talking about!!!
jrmmaclassics
2/4/08 7:11:39PM
Well this all but confirms that AA is out the door, and another desperate attempt to stop another mma popular fighter from going to another org. I just like most wanted to see if the old AA would show up rather then watch another TUF guy on a card. As a AA fan I would rather watch a AA then a Diego jello wrestling match.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
CiaoBaby
2/4/08 7:22:04PM
There are a ton of good fights on that card, but this is BULL!!! There is still room for Andrei and I wanted to see it!!!
CornishMMA
2/5/08 7:35:32AM
No surprises here then!

I called this weeks ago and was surprised to see so many people thinking it would be main card (the main card was already full with Fitch and Kongo etc, the only possible fight it could have replaced was Diego's)

It has been clear that AA wasnt going to extend his contract, he needs to fight by April when it expires otherwise the UFC will sure his ass! And this is it, and yes it makes PERFECT business sense, why market a guy he will sign for Pro Elite? Its not like it will be that great of a fight anyway so we arent missing out really

Its a shame for big AA fans like SmileR but he had his glory days when the division was alot weaker but now he just isnt ever going to beat guys like Big Nog, and would have big trouble with a Kongo or CC so its not worth paying silly money for a fighter who seems to have had his best days in the UFC HW div
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/5/08 7:49:12AM
we all know he's gonna win anyways
Kugel
2/5/08 8:29:56AM
I would have to say that I would probably rather see Arlovski-O'Brien rather than Kongo-Herring. But I don't blame the UFC, after all it is just business.

I think that Koscheck-Hazelett moving to the under card for Sanchez-Biedlkhen is kind of cheap though. Koscheck is higher in the ranking.
sinister_16
4/8/08 10:01:38AM
it was a good fight people who didnt see it need to check it out