Referees changing?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Referees changing?
Leland
12/10/07 7:53:27AM
Watching the UFC event this past Saturday, I noticed the refs were standing fighters up rather quickly. There was some times in a couple of fights where they looked active (in a boring way, LnP, blanketing, etc) where the ref stood them up. Did anyone else notice this? I think Yves was doing it mostly, but I didnt catch if John was doing it too. Hopefully they keep doing things like this so it keeps the fight more active and you cant blanket a fighter and win a fight. Standing them up puts more effort in a fight rather than just outblanketing
Stickan
12/10/07 8:18:12AM
I thought the refs did an awesome job. Yves Lavigne is a great referee for sure. It's not often I go "Wow, this ref does an amazing job" but during the Saunders - Barrera fight that was exactly what I said about Yves.
He was removing hands from shorts when I didn't even notice the foul and he clearly saw the difference between shots to the back of the head and shots behind the ear.

Great job referees and thanks Big John for having been the best in the business for so long.
Leland
12/10/07 8:19:49AM
Agreed Stickan. Yves surprised me. I havent seen such good reffing from him ever. I really liked how he would stand it up to keep the action going. Not saying I dont like ground fighting, but he kept pushing "action" i likeed it
KYGUY07
12/10/07 8:49:25AM

Posted by Stickan

I thought the refs did an awesome job. Yves Lavigne is a great referee for sure. It's not often I go "Wow, this ref does an amazing job" but during the Saunders - Barrera fight that was exactly what I said about Yves.
He was removing hands from shorts when I didn't even notice the foul and he clearly saw the difference between shots to the back of the head and shots behind the ear.

Great job referees and thanks Big John for having been the best in the business for so long.

rameydl8
12/10/07 8:56:38AM
maybe..they know they have to step up their referee game so they can get bigger fights now that big john is stepping out
jomatty
12/10/07 9:02:20AM
everyone loves big john but i dont think he is really a draw for most fight fans so i doubt they are "stepping up" the reffing in account to his leaving.

i did think they did a good job on saturday. there is a big difference between letting people work on the ground and having one fighter simply maintain position. when you see a great bjj guy working on the ground it is very exciting to me but watching a wrestler sit in the guard is no fun for anyone.

and how good a name is yves lavign? if that was my name id probably be a rock star or something...
Leland
12/10/07 9:23:31AM

Posted by jomatty

everyone loves big john but i dont think he is really a draw for most fight fans so i doubt they are "stepping up" the reffing in account to his leaving.

i did think they did a good job on saturday. there is a big difference between letting people work on the ground and having one fighter simply maintain position. when you see a great bjj guy working on the ground it is very exciting to me but watching a wrestler sit in the guard is no fun for anyone.

and how good a name is yves lavign? if that was my name id probably be a rock star or something...

haha It seems liek the ref's were pushing "action" they kept saying it during a fight. I wonder i Dana got onto them. you know? Maybe he told them we don't want any laying around. I understand a BJJ can do some impressive stuff on the ground and they rely on that. But Yves would give them 1 minute or so to do something, then stand them up. very impressive. Crowd didnt boo It seems like they are trying to push the fighters more. Heck, I think the finale did better than a couple of the past PPV's. Hell of an event, alot of it was due to the good job on reffing! They dont get enough credit IMO