Referees

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Referees
backalley101
11/21/08 9:00:05PM
I was just wondering if anyone can bring some insight to my question. My question is does a referee in MMA have to have taken any martial arts classes or be a martial artist? Because sometimes, some of the calls are very questionable. Does anybody know what they have to do to become referees?
Jackelope
11/21/08 9:22:36PM
You can look it up on the particular state's website usually.

Every state I've ever looked at requires the refs to have some knowledge of martial arts, although they don't have to be a practicioner. They just have to be able to recognize certain throws, submissions, and anything applicable to the rules
backalley101
11/22/08 12:13:52AM
thank you
jiujitsufreak74
11/22/08 12:20:50AM
does anyone know how much a referee gets paid?

for the purposes of this question, just referees that are sent to ref the higher end promotions like UFC. and yes, i do realize they are employed by the athletic commission
Pookie
11/22/08 12:33:05AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

does anyone know how much a referee gets paid?

for the purposes of this question, just referees that are sent to ref the higher end promotions like UFC. and yes, i do realize they are employed by the athletic commission

i remember big john saying when he retired that the pay was Not that good at all being a ref.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/22/08 2:51:38PM
My guess would be no because some of the refs are horrible . I think it's a must to learn jiu jitsu as a ref, so if your for instance, the fighter is caught in an anaconda face down you know he's in trouble. This is why Herb dean is the best .
cmb19932
11/22/08 2:56:29PM

My guess would be no because some of the refs are horrible . I think it's a must to learn jiu jitsu as a ref, so if your for instance, the fighter is caught in an anaconda face down you know he's in trouble. This is why Herb dean is the best .

that and his sweet ass flowing braids