UFC 90 Referees - sans Herb Dean...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 90 Referees - sans Herb Dean...
emfleek
10/26/08 12:56:49PM
I wanted to jump through the TV last night and smack the referees. I was getting so sick of =:

"C'mon guys, let's work!"

or

"Let's work, gentlemen."

It was RIDICULOUS.

Did anyone else notice this?
candynuts
10/26/08 1:03:35PM
Yea, its one thing to warn the fighters after some amount of inactivity during the fight, but it was more like once Maynard got the takedown the ref immediately said "lets work" not even a second after Maynard took him down.

Also the I think during the fight, Maynard and Clementi had a good scramble that got Maynard into the side mount position, and immediately when he scrambled in side mount the ref would say "lets work gentleman".

I hope the next fight that ref has to referre is a Gilbert Yvel fight.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/26/08 1:08:38PM

Posted by candynuts

I hope the next fight that ref has to referre is a Gilbert Yvel fight.

strong words

i personally dont c the big deal, i cant believe so many people care about what the refs are saying in there

they never stood em up early from what i saw & never changed any fight or put a fighter in a bad situation did they?

judge refs by actions, not words
Bowen50
10/26/08 1:12:07PM
me and a few friends were watching and we were all getting really annoyed by that. i know that the athletic comissions choose the refs but if there is some way for the UFC to hire refs themselves they should do it. just bring the reliable refs such as Herb Dean, Mazagatti, Yamasaki, and Yves Lavigne on board for the main card and let the comission hired refs do the under card. i don't see why the UFC couldn't do that.
bojangalz
10/26/08 1:16:49PM
Yeah- I thought for sure Maynard was going to get stood up the way the ref was talking. Thankfully there was no foolishness on the ref's part. But it was still very annoying to listen to. I actually started getting pissed off a bit.

I'm not sure it was any harder to listen to than the crowd though. Seriously Chicago- what the hell is wrong with you people?!
bullettdodger
10/26/08 1:46:15PM
Dude what about mini-herb dean reffing the miller fight, cracked me up. Nothing wrong with his reffing i just thought it was hilarious that he was a scaled down version of Herb
Branwest
10/26/08 3:13:55PM
LOL @ the mini Herb Dean.

Emfleek, I said the exact same thing you said. While watching the Maynard/Clementi fight, I said that I wish I could jump through the screen and slap that referee. What was he thinking? What, was he reacting to some of the idiotic drunk fans that were booing? He needs not to pay attention to them. They were working just about nonstop, leave them alone. At one point, when Gray had side-control, I thought the ref was going to stand them up. If that happened I think Gray or somebody would've said something. In the post-fight interview, I thought that Joe might say something to Gray about the ref (with the ref standing close), but to my disapointment, he didn't. Also, they need to start showing more fights on the PPV. They buy up the time until 2:00, it wouldn't kill them to show another undercard fight. I guess they want people to go to their website, or buy the DVD's, which I do anyway.
Jackelope
10/26/08 3:15:54PM
I'm glad he didn't stand them up. I was getting pretty pissed off to say the least listening to him threaten a standup. At least he never went through with it, though.
nickcuc547
10/26/08 3:20:27PM
ya it was awful, especially in the maynard vs. clementi fight. both guys were working they were just evenly matched and not getting anywhere. But i thought it was a complete joke that the ref was warning them as maynard was improving his position.
Jackelope
10/26/08 7:54:53PM
What pissed me off the most about it is that even though they were evenly matched it was a perfect depiction of jiu jitsu vs. wrestling. Maynard had the wrestling strength and top position to use against Clementi, but Clementi had the leverage and momentum of jiu jitsu to use against Maynard. It was a fantastic opportunity to see wrestling vs. jiu jitsu in some real action but my enjoyment of it was ruined by the ref's constant nagging.

Like I said before, though.. at least he didn't actually go through with standing it up.

dannyfrank
10/26/08 8:04:22PM

Posted by Jackelope

What pissed me off the most about it is that even though they were evenly matched it was a perfect depiction of jiu jitsu vs. wrestling. Maynard had the wrestling strength and top position to use against Clementi, but Clementi had the leverage and momentum of jiu jitsu to use against Maynard. It was a fantastic opportunity to see wrestling vs. jiu jitsu in some real action but my enjoyment of it was ruined by the ref's constant nagging.

Like I said before, though.. at least he didn't actually go through with standing it up.

agreed. i actually enjoyed the fight a lot because no matter what gray did to try to improve position, rich would counter it. i thought it was a great technical fight
jiujitsufreak74
10/26/08 8:26:35PM
Fleek i have to spread the love but i am 1,000% with you man

i posted this in a different thread:

The referee that reffed the Maynard/Clementi fight should be fired and later shot in the dick by Butters from South Park. i was unable to watch the event live, so i just finished watching all of the fights. i seriously want to go to that guys house and while he is making love to his wife say, "Let's go gentleman, you gotta do something." i swear i was going to kill someone every time he spoke...thank god Rogan felt the same way and was vocal about it.
MMAcca
10/27/08 2:15:06PM

Posted by dannyfrank
agreed. i actually enjoyed the fight a lot because no matter what gray did to try to improve position, rich would counter it. i thought it was a great technical fight

Me too man.
Wolfenstein
10/27/08 2:39:43PM
Not only did the refferee's mouth never stop moving the entire match, but he was nearly on top of the fighters. It was really annoying and while I thnk the ref's need to direct fighters a little, if you're constantly barking orders you're taking away from the fighters being able to get advice from their corners.

There was a lot of action o the ground and I thought it was a good entertaining fight. At one point it looked like Gray was trying to reach around Rich's back and control a wrist from the opposite side ala Ryan Schultz vs Chris Horodecki. I thought Rich was in big trouble there.

Clementi was really slick off his back constantly looking to sweep from the lockdown or take Gray's back. I would have liked to have seen a few more submission attempts instead of battling for position, but either way it was an awesome display of grappling from both guys.
cowcatcher
10/27/08 5:47:26PM
the refs, especially in the maynard/clementi fight as mentioned, seemed to really want to be a part of the event, and the crowd was influencing them all the time. oh well, we wont have to see those guys until the ufc ends up back in IL at least.
oobaka
10/31/08 10:54:58PM
If you think he was bad during that fight, you should try to find the fight that won "Submission of the Night"
I kid you not...the ref was telling them to work when one fighter had the other in a guillotine and again when one had a triangle on the other.
I can't see that ref being used ever again.
He was obviously an idiot.
Exactly how much more work are you supposed to do when you have your opponent locked in a triangle?
higdon10
10/31/08 11:56:07PM

Posted by oobaka

If you think he was bad during that fight, you should try to find the fight that won "Submission of the Night"
I kid you not...the ref was telling them to work when one fighter had the other in a guillotine and again when one had a triangle on the other.
I can't see that ref being used ever again.
He was obviously an idiot.
Exactly how much more work are you supposed to do when you have your opponent locked in a triangle?