If the ref stopped it while Mir was out..........

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If the ref stopped it while Mir was out..........
SpiderSilva
12/11/11 11:35:30AM
coupled with the rumors that Overeem my be out of 141. We could be talking Big Nog vs Lesnar.
Twenty20Dollars
12/11/11 11:43:39AM
Had Mir's head maybe been to the side instead of into the mat, ref could have gotten a better look at it.

Any matchup though, I'm excited for Lesnar vs Overeem, Big Nog, Mir 3.

But might be too quick for Mir to return, who knows if he gets a suspension for an injury or precaution.
FastKnockout
12/11/11 12:32:39PM
All Big Nog had to do was keep the pressure on Mir with strikes instead of going for the submission.

Position > submission attempt
Pookie
12/11/11 12:37:10PM
Nog would beat Lesnar. I don't think i ever changed my mind on that fight.
Franklinfan47
12/11/11 12:45:18PM
Overeem is not out. Watch the post-fight press conference from last night.
Twenty20Dollars
12/11/11 2:13:29PM
Big Nog should have followed Lil Nog and just GnP to a finish.
Wallass
12/11/11 3:33:58PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

coupled with the rumors that Overeem my be out of 141. We could be talking Big Nog vs Lesnar.

Really? When was Mir out? Get over it dude your wrong.
ncordless
12/11/11 3:42:07PM
I do not like Frank Mir and will always have love for Big Nog. That said, at no point should the fight have been stopped until Big Nog's are got ruined. Nog was looking spry on the feet, was having no trouble from Mir in his guard, and was tagging him on the feet. He was on top pounding away, got warned for hitting the back of the head just like every other fighter who has ever had flattened out back mount, and went for an ill-advised sub, got sloppy with his arm, did a hell of job trying to get out of it but was countered, didn't tap when it was obvious that the next thing that was going to happen was that Mir was gonna start cranking, and got his arm broke.

All the props go to Mir for recovering and finishing. Mir doesn't have the best jits, but his ability to finish it once he gets the limb is second-to-none.
KingCmb
12/11/11 5:16:47PM
The nithuggery is amazing I like nog but cmon he lost fair and square Mir was never out and to say so and try to discredit Mirs win over nog....AGAIN get over it nog lost try and have half the class he did and accept it
bjj1605
12/11/11 10:07:39PM

Posted by ncordless

Mir doesn't have the best jits, but his ability to finish it once he gets the limb is second-to-none.

I was thinking the same thing after the fight.

Rogan's comment about Nog's jiu jitsu being "on another level" might not be totally false despite this fight.

When it comes to position, there are guys out there better than Mir. What Mir is has is an absurd killer instinct with submissions. When he latches on to a limb or your neck...good luck.
kingsmasher
12/12/11 10:25:24AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

Mir doesn't have the best jits, but his ability to finish it once he gets the limb is second-to-none.

Rogan's comment about Nog's jiu jitsu being "on another level" might not be totally false despite this fight.

When it comes to position, there are guys out there better than Mir. What Mir is has is an absurd killer instinct with submissions. When he latches on to a limb or your neck...good luck.

Mirs BJJ is second to none....Sorry but thats true...Never been subbed and if you ever hear him commentating on a fight it will tell you he is the best...I been saying it...And I think to say its not better than Nogs is a joke he just broke him off a new arm...

There more to BJJ than just position....Some guys will get a position they know isnt correct to bait someone into something...Mir is the best in BJJ in HW...
Patchedup15
12/12/11 12:07:09PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

Mirs BJJ is second to none....Sorry but thats true...Never been subbed and if you ever hear him commentating on a fight it will tell you he is the best...I been saying it...And I think to say its not better than Nogs is a joke he just broke him off a new arm...

There more to BJJ than just position....Some guys will get a position they know isnt correct to bait someone into something...Mir is the best in BJJ in HW...

It's refreshing to see a HW who isn't a wrestler using his size to hold someone down, or a boxer who goes for the KO. I'm away these can be exciting fights... but I'd like a little more variety. Styles make good matchups
bjj1605
12/12/11 2:20:30PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

Werdum's BJJ is absolutely better than Mir's, whether or not you think Nog's is.

Again, I'm looking at this in parts. Submissions and positions. Positionally, I think Nog is better. When Mir had him down, Nog was on his way to sweeping him until Mir was forced to stand up.

What I'm basically saying is that Mir has better submissions but not better at positions. Who's better overall depends on how you look at it. Some people tout "Position before submission." Thats the old school thought. Now guys are starting to give up position to secure submissions. Its dangerous, but isn't finishing the whole point?

Also, just so you know, Big Country beat Mir in a straight jiu jitsu match. On points. If you CAN"T get a submission, guess what wins?
icecold2357
12/12/11 5:12:42PM
When watching the fight live, I never thought Mir was out. I think the ref was correct in letting the fight go on. I like both fighters (I actually like Mir more than Nog) but when Nog decided to go for the submission, I actually yelled at my TV bc I knew that was a dumb decision.

Then when Mir got a hold of Nog's arm, me and my gf both knew that Mir was gonna snap his arm. That was gonna be the only way that Nog was gonna tap, but Mir is a fighter that is more than happy to oblige with that.

As for the skillsets of the 2, I think that fight is a little misleading on who is better at what. I do believe Nog has the better jiu-jitsu than Mir, but Mir's jitz are up there too and I think when it comes to just submissions, Mir is better than Nog bc of his killer instinct. I actually still believe that Mir is the better striker of the 2 as well despite what we saw. I think Mir underestimated Nog's striking bc the first fight and just got caught. With the gloves they wear, it happens.

To everyone who says that Mir vs Lesnar would go down exactly like the 2nd one, I dont believe that too be true at all. Mir has put on 20 lbs of muscle bc of what happened to him in that fight, also Mir respected Lesnar's striking way too much in that fight but it has been exposed by Carwin and Velasquez, Lesnar doesn't like getting hit at all and the extra 20 lbs can help Mir not get held down like last time and he can probably pull off a sweep and submit him