RedBelt

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » RedBelt
bigbubbano23
4/29/08 6:08:36PM
Who's going to see this movie and why or why not. Personally i think this will be much better than never back down but it does have tim allen in it and that alone makes me question it's value but ill prolly go see it anyway.
papercut
4/29/08 6:12:26PM
I might. but I don't understand the stone concept that I saw in the preview. pick the wrong stone and one or both of your hards are tied behind your back? but it looks like a good movie definetly better than never back down.
grappler0000
4/29/08 7:12:53PM
When I originally heard about this movie, I had my doubts...but, from what I've seen and read, it looks half-way decent.
seanfu
4/29/08 9:53:28PM
When I first heard this movie was coming out about a year or more ago I thought it would be a straight to dvd crapfest with not a whole lot of realism or detail.

I believe I'm wrong though. I have a feeling this could blow some MMA nerds like us away.

I have a feeling about this one.
jiujitsufreak74
4/29/08 10:30:54PM
well i just read something that changed my perception of the movie...i want to see it more now. it doesn't focus on MMA so much but rather on internal struggles and all that jazz. Here is the article i read:

David Mamet: "[Redbelt] not a martial arts movie"

"The director's film - which debuts nationally on May 2nd - is less about martial arts and more about the story of one man's difficult predicament and choices.

David Mamet is back. For his upcoming film, the legendary writer/director will tackle a brand new subject, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, using clich├ęd cinematic genres as his training ground: the classic under-dog fight movie, the samurai film, and the spaghetti western. Sure sounds different, and boy, is it. "Redbelt", opening on May 2nd, follows an honor-bound Jiu-jitsu master sucked into the nasty worlds of Hollywood and mixed martial arts (MMA) prize fighting, simultaneously..."

LINK to bloodyelbow.com

LINK to full article
NewGuy
4/30/08 7:55:08AM
I want to see it, if only to see how Randy Couture acts in it. Is there anything he can't do, i submit that there is not.
JoeySteel
4/30/08 11:15:16AM
I think David Mamet is one of the best freshest writers associated with hollywood today. He can, if he gets a chance, come up with relevent, stimulating, entertaining stories like NO ONE ELSE.

I would see anything he did.

BUT him doing a film where the backdrop is BJJ, and where Randy C is in it. I am so SOOOO excited.

War mamet.
bigbubbano23
5/1/08 10:09:37PM
let me know if its worth it or not if anyone gets to see it tomorrow
komodo20
5/2/08 11:06:25AM
did tim allen tran bjj for the movie
bigbubbano23
5/2/08 4:36:57PM
i dont think so
mrkennedy
5/4/08 12:42:48AM
that looking to be a good one
emfleek
5/4/08 3:26:43PM
Judging from what was shown on Inside MMA, I don't think I'd waste my money on this flick.
DCRage
5/4/08 5:19:23PM
Whether or not I see it depends on if it's playing in my neighborhood (probably have to go to DC) and for how long, I probably won't have time to see it for at least 3 weeks.
browneye
5/8/08 9:13:52AM
Never back down was a good movie but i dont know if Redbelt will be better or not it looks sort of crappy
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/8/08 9:33:57AM

Posted by browneye

Never back down was a good movie but i dont know if Redbelt will be better or not it looks sort of crappy

Never back down was a good movie????????? wiggidy what?????
bigbubbano23
5/17/08 10:55:58PM
redbelt was good but there should have been more fighting scenes
cmill21
5/18/08 2:22:26AM
I thought it was perfect, I was surprised at how good the plot was. Much better then a fast and the furious style fight movie...
bigbubbano23
5/18/08 9:25:04PM
the only thing that got me is how much shit went wrong for that guy i mean damn
JoeySteel
5/18/08 9:32:12PM
Red Belt was awesome. Starts out a bit slow, with some annoying dialogue, but gets crazt and you get wrapped into this. It gets heavy, but not too preachy.

Not a lot of fighting, but I think it catches a certian BJJ/ MMA spirit. And what scenes there were were good.

David Mamet, I heard is a brown belt as well. That does not seem likely, but whatever.

Randy was great. Tim Allen DID NOT train or do any JJ in this, all he had to do was play a douche bag. Mission Accomplished. The Machado's were rock awesome.

See it!
Svartorm
8/27/08 1:51:51AM
I rented this today and thought it was terrible. Its way too artsy, the plot jumps all over the place and is "Lock, Stock and Two Smokin Barrels"-esque improbable with the amount of shit that goes wrong and how its all interconnected. Theres almost no fighting, and the fighting it does have isn't even worth watching. Plus I have a serious problem when self-defense instruction is depicted not only wrong, but in such a way as to be horrifyingly detrimental to the people involved, which was the case with the lawyers breakdown at the dojo.

I'd give it a 2/10, based soley on the Machado brothers being there, and Enson Inoues really awesome tats.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/27/08 2:13:53AM
I liked it, thought it was cool.
StorminYourman
8/27/08 12:08:06PM
rented the DVD yesterday.It kicked ass go see it!
kaskd
8/27/08 4:11:17PM

Posted by Svartorm

I rented this today and thought it was terrible. Its way too artsy, the plot jumps all over the place and is "Lock, Stock and Two Smokin Barrels"-esque improbable with the amount of shit that goes wrong and how its all interconnected. Theres almost no fighting, and the fighting it does have isn't even worth watching. Plus I have a serious problem when self-defense instruction is depicted not only wrong, but in such a way as to be horrifyingly detrimental to the people involved, which was the case with the lawyers breakdown at the dojo.

I'd give it a 2/10, based soley on the Machado brothers being there, and Enson Inoues really awesome tats.

i agree. i really disliked the movie. Found the plot twists to be insane. Fighting to be neither exciting or realistic.
nastshabast
8/28/08 9:11:48PM
I've always been under the impression that you get the red belt by nailing a chick when ....how do I put this.......when her Aunt Flo is visiting.