Does red wine extract contain alcohol?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Does red wine extract contain alcohol?
Franca311Diaz
2/6/09 1:01:41AM
Anyone know? I was eating some granola bars that said they contained red-wine extract.
ncordless
2/6/09 1:12:58AM

Posted by Franca311Diaz

Anyone know? I was eating some granola bars that said they contained red-wine extract.

No it does not.
MMAcca
2/6/09 1:25:27AM
What is red wine extract ?
ncordless
2/6/09 2:39:15AM
It is either a dehydrated form of red wine, or more likely a resveratrol (chemical found in red wine among other things) pill. It is basically a health fad which may lengthen life, fight cancer, and improve heart functions.
fizzle
2/6/09 2:42:04AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Franca311Diaz

No it does not.

Really? I would have though that is does as it is the extract of red wine. So is it just fermented grapes? If it is not just fermented grapes I'd find it hard to believe that it would not contain alcohol, though I do not doubt your claim in any way. If you could explain and elaborate a bit more as to why and perhaps how it does not contain alcohol though it the extract of an alcoholic beverage.
warglory
2/6/09 5:58:03PM

Posted by fizzle

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Franca311Diaz

No it does not.

Really? I would have though that is does as it is the extract of red wine. So is it just fermented grapes? If it is not just fermented grapes I'd find it hard to believe that it would not contain alcohol, though I do not doubt your claim in any way. If you could explain and elaborate a bit more as to why and perhaps how it does not contain alcohol though it the extract of an alcoholic beverage.

Well wine, nor any other drinkable alcohol contains 100% alcohol. Beer only has on average 3-5% alcohol per container, while wine I believe has upwards of 20% alcohol maybe? I am not sure exactly, but regardless, there is more to alcoholic beverages based on these percentages (i.e. sugar, juices from grapes, etc).
MMAcca
2/7/09 1:31:42AM

Posted by ncordless

It is either a dehydrated form of red wine, or more likely a resveratrol (chemical found in red wine among other things) pill. It is basically a health fad which may lengthen life, fight cancer, and improve heart functions.

Thanks