Recent MMA Fighter Deaths Raise Questions

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Recent MMA Fighter Deaths Raise Questions
DCRage
1/3/09 8:50:38AM
The death of former heavyweight title contender Justin Eilers, due to a gunshot wound at the hands of his stepfather at a Christmas night party, marked the third death of a recent UFC fighter from under strange circumstances in a short period of time. Is the spate of deaths a harbinger of bad things to come, or is it a radmon series of coincidences?

Article
warglory
1/3/09 9:15:05AM
What an awful article. How can you link a series of very unfortunate events together like that when all the events were all completely different situations. Depression the culprit? A bit of a stretch I'd say.
Sir_Karl
1/3/09 12:12:44PM
There are thousands of Mixed Martial Artists, hundreds of them are big league.
3 have died unnatural deaths.
There is no correlation.

Jim_Dangle
1/3/09 1:02:30PM
Tanner's death was quite natural. The circumstances leading up to it were not.
ncordless
1/3/09 1:15:15PM
WTF is Meltzer talking about? Talk about drawing conclusions. Maybe the reason they both dies is that they were named Justin?
JimiMak
1/3/09 4:15:25PM
Idiotic column. Would be a waste of my time. Nothing against TS just Meltzer.
bls1919
1/4/09 8:43:37AM
Lots of speculation makes for a shite of a read, Meltzer should know better.
nastshabast
1/4/09 7:53:10PM
I see what Metzer is going after here, if you think of the larger picture of all sports this is a significant speculation and definitely raises many questions especially the head injury parts. Look at the NFL players that commit suicide after careers with head injuries. I get that you all might think that Metzer is trying to be the last word on the subject but the article is far from crap. Good article that raises awareness in my opinion.
JimiMak
1/4/09 9:53:45PM

Posted by nastshabast

I see what Metzer is going after here, if you think of the larger picture of all sports this is a significant speculation and definitely raises many questions especially the head injury parts. Look at the NFL players that commit suicide after careers with head injuries. I get that you all might think that Metzer is trying to be the last word on the subject but the article is far from crap. Good article that raises awareness in my opinion.

Dave? Is that you?
Rollins
1/4/09 10:53:28PM
The more MMA fighters there are the more of them will die in unusual fashions, it's just a numbers game, nothing more. Until much more evidence comes forth to repute this natural occurring truth under these normal circumstances, I won't be buying into any of that hypothesis what so ever.
hippysmacker
1/5/09 5:47:47PM
I have to say I am disappointed in this article. What is the point of it? To help promote his friends book? To point out there is very little similarities. To make a thinly veiled comparison to boxing? if so, the mma head blow count isn't even remotely comparable, and the very lack of a knockdown rule and standing 8 count alone, save already injured fighters serious possible brain damage IMO. I expect better from Melter than this weakly thought out , hackneyed , unsupportable in fact , hatchet job.