Reasons why Fedor doesn't deserve the #1 Spot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Reasons why Fedor doesn't deserve the #1 Spot
Next Page »
nubby
10/2/07 3:23:55PM
1) Fedor has fought relatively weak competition in his past 4 fights. Let us review them:
A) Most recently Fedor destroyed a natural middle weight (185LBS) fighter in Matt Lindland
B) Mark Hunt, although a very good kick boxer is absolutely novice on the ground, Fedor won by submission
C)Mark Coleman, though a very colorful opponent, Coleman is not known for defeating anyone notable since 2000 unless you count the freak accident win over Mauricio Rua.
D)Zuluzinho, a complete no name that had two professional fights before facing Fedor.

2) Previous to these four wins Fedor has wins over Nogueira, Herring and Filipovic, all of these fighters have had absolutely horrible showings in the UFC but are some of the most pivotal wins in his record.

3) The majority of his wins are to fighters with very small MMA records or have large MMA records with many wins against other second rate fighters.

4)The argument could be made that Fedor hasn't fought a heavy weight since December of 2006. What other fighter can you think of that goes 10 months without fighting his weight class and yet maintains his rank?

Do the right thing people, remove him from your list until he signs with the UFC and fights.
DJDark41
10/2/07 3:26:50PM
He is very close to losing his #1 spot in my eyes. If Randy Couture beats his next opponent, assuming his next opponent is top 10 heavyweight or top 10 in the UFC even, then I will be putting him at #1 pound for pound.
TNunley
10/2/07 3:28:37PM

Posted by nubby

1) Fedor has fought relatively weak competition in his past 4 fights. Let us review them:
A) Most recently Fedor destroyed a natural middle weight (185LBS) fighter in Matt Lindland
B) Mark Hunt, although a very good kick boxer is absolutely novice on the ground, Fedor won by submission
C)Mark Coleman, though a very colorful opponent, Coleman is not known for defeating anyone notable since 2000 unless you count the freak accident win over Mauricio Rua.
D)Zuluzinho, a complete no name that had two professional fights before facing Fedor.

2) Previous to these four wins Fedor has wins over Nogueira, Herring and Filipovic, all of these fighters have had absolutely horrible showings in the UFC but are some of the most pivotal wins in his record.

3) The majority of his wins are to fighters with very small MMA records or have large MMA records with many wins against other second rate fighters.

4)The argument could be made that Fedor hasn't fought a heavy weight since December of 2006. What other fighter can you think of that goes 10 months without fighting his weight class and yet maintains his rank?

Do the right thing people, remove him from your list until he signs with the UFC and fights.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see him at #1
loonytnt
10/2/07 3:32:13PM
he is not #1 imo at all, randy has been fighting and fedor has not, i dont see how someone that is not fighting can be #1, and this is not boxin so that a champ only fights 1,2 times a year dont cut it
NatedawgThaM
10/2/07 4:13:24PM
Dude, Fedor DESTROYED Cro Cop in a RING. That's a strikers best record. Since the cage is for grapplers you should have known Cro Cop wouldn't do as good.

What are you talking about Big Nog having a bad showing? He dominated Herring that whole fight except for the last 20 seconds of the one round where a gased Herring could have stopped him but no doubt in my mind he wouldn't because Nog won't be KO/TKO'd!!!! He dominated Big Nog on he GROUND were Big Nog is easily Top 10 grappler in the world!!!

Maybe you can get away with the inactive excuse but none of your other excuses stand...

Mark Coleman is a GREAT wrestler and barely ANYBODY can stop his takedown and Fedor stuffed him every time until he finally LET him.

I personally have him #2 to Rampage because Rampage can't be touched, but thats because Fedor has been inactive. if he beats Randy he is clearly #1...
cowcatcher
10/2/07 4:20:56PM
its hard to take a guy that dominant off of my list because ive seen how good he is and can be, but as of now he is my #2 HW because randy keeps plugging away and racking up wins without tons of time off. i think its a little early to write fedor off completely, lets wait until the years end and see what happens from there.
nubby
10/2/07 5:09:41PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Dude, Fedor DESTROYED Cro Cop in a RING. That's a strikers best record. Since the cage is for grapplers you should have known Cro Cop wouldn't do as good.

What are you talking about Big Nog having a bad showing? He dominated Herring that whole fight except for the last 20 seconds of the one round where a gased Herring could have stopped him but no doubt in my mind he wouldn't because Nog won't be KO/TKO'd!!!! He dominated Big Nog on he GROUND were Big Nog is easily Top 10 grappler in the world!!!

Maybe you can get away with the inactive excuse but none of your other excuses stand...

Mark Coleman is a GREAT wrestler and barely ANYBODY can stop his takedown and Fedor stuffed him every time until he finally LET him.

I personally have him #2 to Rampage because Rampage can't be touched, but thats because Fedor has been inactive. if he beats Randy he is clearly #1...

So what if Fedor destroyed him in a ring or a cage or in a field of corn. It doesn't matter. The fact is that Fedor's most imrptant wins are to guys who are really not doing that well. Nog barely beat Herring. Herring lost that fight, Nog didn't win it. Herring himself lost to a relative novice, in Jake Obrien. Mark Coleman may have great wrestling but what does that matter if he rarely wins against anyone with any talent? The point I'm making is that all these fights that have built Fedor up as the #1 are from fighters that look like crap in the current dominant organization. If Fedor, Nog, or Herring can come back and show some impressive wins then I might be inclined to change my mind, but look at what is going on currently, not what they did in Pride.
nickcuc547
10/2/07 5:23:00PM
fedor is still number one because of his dominance, he has only been rocked once in his career by fujita, other than that he hasnt even come close to losing, if you want to go back that far on randy he has wins over sylvia and gg which are impressive but he also has two losses to chuck and a win over mike van arsdale who isnt a top lhw, if fedor had ever shown a weakness he wouldnt be ranked two, but until somebody even gives him a scare you cant remove him from the top spot
iblouieb
10/2/07 5:24:37PM
I love hearing people use the ring>cage excuse. lol

If the ring is made for wrestlers like so many say then why has the UFC been filled with strikers as champions? Even mediocre strikers do well just so long as they are fighting the wrestlers. I think that a punch or kick does the exact same damage in a ring that it would do in the cage.

iblouieb
10/2/07 5:27:25PM
I don't even look at most Pride fighters as serious fighters until they fight in the UFC. Not because I think the UFC has better fighters or any of that stuff but ever since Rampage came forward and said all that stuff about Pride I just can't see anything or anyone from Pride being anything more than unproven.

Thats just my opinion though
nubby
10/2/07 5:34:42PM

Posted by nickcuc547

fedor is still number one because of his dominance, he has only been rocked once in his career by fujita, other than that he hasnt even come close to losing, if you want to go back that far on randy he has wins over sylvia and gg which are impressive but he also has two losses to chuck and a win over mike van arsdale who isnt a top lhw, if fedor had ever shown a weakness he wouldnt be ranked two, but until somebody even gives him a scare you cant remove him from the top spot

His LHW fights to me are irrelevant. For one, he's done quite well in both divisions. He has wins over top competition, and nearly all of his fights have been for a title. Couture doesn't fight cans ever. Can the same be said about Fedor? Absolutely not, in fact 3 of his past 4 fights have been against guys that were not championship material and the 4th was a guy that is championship material in a weight class 55 - 80 pounds lower.
ncordless
10/2/07 5:40:03PM

Posted by nubby

Watch him fight. Watch him in all kinds of different MMA situations and positions. Watch his GnP. Watch his Subs. Watch his striking. Watch what happens when he gets hit. Watch what happens when he transitions better than anyone his size in MMA.

I won't rank Fedor below #1 unless he shows a weakness. Watching Fedor and watching Randy, I am confident that Fedor is the better fighter. Randy is great and I wouldn't put it past him to pull off the upset, but if you know anything about MMA and what makes a "good fighter" then you'll see that it would be an upset.

As far as the time since his last fight, if he does not fight a top 10 opponent before 2008 then he needs to be dropped from the rankings. No fighter should be ranked with that much time off. The TS asked the question "What other fighter goes 10 months without fighting in his weight class and yet maintains his rank" The answers are: BJ Penn being ranked in WW... Sean Sherk during his injury, and Matt Serra. Was there a prize?
nubby
10/2/07 5:46:21PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by nubby

Watch him fight. Watch him in all kinds of different MMA situations and positions. Watch his GnP. Watch his Subs. Watch his striking. Watch what happens when he gets hit. Watch what happens when he transitions better than anyone his size in MMA.

I won't rank Fedor below #1 unless he shows a weakness. Watching Fedor and watching Randy, I am confident that Fedor is the better fighter. Randy is great and I wouldn't put it past him to pull off the upset, but if you know anything about MMA and what makes a "good fighter" then you'll see that it would be an upset.

As far as the time since his last fight, if he does not fight a top 10 opponent before 2008 then he needs to be dropped from the rankings. No fighter should be ranked with that much time off. The TS asked the question "What other fighter goes 10 months without fighting in his weight class and yet maintains his rank" The answers are: BJ Penn being ranked in WW... Sean Sherk during his injury, and Matt Serra. Was there a prize?

I don't remember BJ Penn ever being ranked #1 with that long of a lay off in WW. Sherk had no real challengers for the belt during that period, and Matt Serra isn't even ranked as #1 in WW.

As for Fedor, I have seen him look great and fight like an animal. But that is why his competition is so important. He was like a wolf in a flock of sheep; what happens when you throw the wolf in with Lions, Tigers, and Bears... oh my! The problem is we don't know because won't fight anything but sheep and the occasional badger. Sorry about the animal analogy there.
pv3Hpv3p
10/2/07 6:07:51PM

Posted by nubby

The fact of the matter is that if you're comparing Fedor to Randy, which it seems that you are, and saying that he (Fedor) hasn't faced top comp... How could you say differently about Randy?

He fought BigTim, which is arguably a topten, but then GG, who's only claim to fame was a KO of a fighter you don't see as that great anyhow? Besides that, he lost his two previous fights at HW (Ricco and Barnett) and in between went 4-3 at LHW... So we should rank him higher, because he is more affable and is better known/liked? There is a severe flaw in your logic there.

Fedor's wins against Nog and Herring were years ago... Herring was in 02 when Heath had a record of like 20-7 basically in his prime, and Nog in 04 when he went 3-1-1 that year(loss and NC to Fedor), and had a record of 27-2-1 with one of those loses being to Fedor in 03 27-2-1!!!... We could compare that to Randy, who fought twice in 04, at LHW, and went 1-1(though the loss should've been a NC cause of the cut to his eye) and like mentioned before hadn't faired that well at HW before that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Randy, he's a great fighter, and it's amazing that he can do what he does especially at his age... But Fedor has basically beaten all comers and done so VERY convincingly, until someone can prove otherwise or he retires I don't see anyone topping him on a HW or P4P list.
Mastodon2
10/2/07 6:42:46PM
I can't take Fedor off, even if I wanted too. I know there are a lot of haters, but the best always get people just wanting to see them fail.

Randy simply isn't good enough to be #1, he is nowhere near as dominat as Fedor has been so far, and has had a much patchier career, with a few rough spots. Fedor has been consistantly unstoppable. I will not remove Fedor from my #1 spot until someone comes along and has a better, more dominant run than him, and top competition like Nogueira on top of his game, and Cro Cop, in his MMA prime, in a ring, etc is just not around at the moment. Even if someone else came out and had a win streak like Fedor, I still wouldnt remove Fedor because quite simply the competition is not as stiff atm as what Fedor has faced, what with GG turning out to be overhyped, Cro Cop in a bad patch, Nogueira looking off his game a bit, Arlovski losing his edge and dropping off the radar, Barnett unavailable to fight top 10s, Sylvia finally proving that he aint all that good etc.
Djbb
10/2/07 6:52:19PM
Fedor deserves the #1 spot because Fedor wants the #1 spot.

Fedor: I must break you
Couture: Go for it

Shit, thats a bad example.
nubby
10/2/07 7:11:05PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by nubby

The fact of the matter is that if you're comparing Fedor to Randy, which it seems that you are, and saying that he (Fedor) hasn't faced top comp... How could you say differently about Randy?

He fought BigTim, which is arguably a topten, but then GG, who's only claim to fame was a KO of a fighter you don't see as that great anyhow? Besides that, he lost his two previous fights at HW (Ricco and Barnett) and in between went 4-3 at LHW... So we should rank him higher, because he is more affable and is better known/liked? There is a severe flaw in your logic there.

Fedor's wins against Nog and Herring were years ago... Herring was in 02 when Heath had a record of like 20-7 basically in his prime, and Nog in 04 when he went 3-1-1 that year(loss and NC to Fedor), and had a record of 27-2-1 with one of those loses being to Fedor in 03 27-2-1!!!... We could compare that to Randy, who fought twice in 04, at LHW, and went 1-1(though the loss should've been a NC cause of the cut to his eye) and like mentioned before hadn't faired that well at HW before that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Randy, he's a great fighter, and it's amazing that he can do what he does especially at his age... But Fedor has basically beaten all comers and done so VERY convincingly, until someone can prove otherwise or he retires I don't see anyone topping him on a HW or P4P list.

My logic is really not that flawed. I can consider Mirko to be not that great simply because he has been dismantled in the UFC. On the other hand he was dominant in Pride. If Mirko was Fedor's biggest test to date and he was a stepping stone for both Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheik Kongo, what does that say about all the talent that Mirko destroyed? But that logic is probably flawed right? Because obviously Mirko is not the same fighter since entering in the octagon. It's not possible that Gonzaga and Kongo were actually just better fighters right? Ok so then let us go down another path.

Had Mirko Filipovic never stepped into an octagon and continued to fight cans outside of the UFC, he would probably to this day still be ranked the #2 heavy weight in the world. Do you think that is fair or right considering what has happened in the past few months? The question of Fedor's #1 status is not what he has accomplished over the past 7 years, it's where his skill is at right now and we can't really tell because, as everyone knows, he's not fighting anyone ranked high enough or talented enough to substantiate his rank.

I understand your apprehension to rank Randy #1 because of his past, but you need to get out of the past and jump into the present, because how do we know that Fedor's skills haven't deteriorated just like Herring's, Nogueira's, Werdum's, and Filipovic's?
MALICE
10/2/07 7:17:30PM
Simple. Because Randy is #1
mkiv9secsupra
10/2/07 8:17:36PM
Rankings are not based on who fought recently!!!

Have i said it enough yet?

Randy beat two guys that arent top 5. one not even a top ten. Randy hasnt proven he has the skill to be the best. Put him against AA or Barnett and he goes down in the first.

Fedor beat everyone they put in front of him. Many top tens.

ITs the UFC's fault he isnt here anyways. If they werent so stingy hed be fighting already.
nubby
10/2/07 8:28:10PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Randy beat two guys that arent top 5. one not even a top ten. Randy hasnt proven he has the skill to be the best. Put him against AA or Barnett and he goes down in the first.

ITs the UFC's fault he isnt here anyways. If they werent so stingy hed be fighting already.

Well your opinion deviates from the norm then. Rankings are DIRECTLY related to recent performances as the rankings themselves are supposed to be based on the skill of the fighter. Not the skill of the fighter in 2004 or 2005 or 2006. The whole reason for even having rankings is to see where a fighter stands in comparison to everyone else. Can you please explain to me how a fighter can be ranked among his peers if he doesn't fight them? If you can legitimately answer that question then I will concede.

Right now, it just seems like you and many others are breaking the definition of rankings so that Fedor can remain #1.
mkiv9secsupra
10/2/07 8:37:20PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Well your opinion deviates from the norm then. Rankings are DIRECTLY related to recent performances as the rankings themselves are supposed to be based on the skill of the fighter. Not the skill of the fighter in 2004 or 2005 or 2006. The whole reason for even having rankings is to see where a fighter stands in comparison to everyone else. Can you please explain to me how a fighter can be ranked among his peers if he doesn't fight them? If you can legitimately answer that question then I will concede.

Right now, it just seems like you and many others are breaking the definition of rankings so that Fedor can remain #1.

Rankings are based on skill which can or can not be determined by recent fights. I wouldnt expect someone to completely knock Wanderlei off the top ten rankings because he hasnt fought recently even though he is one of MMA's most dominant champions ever who beat your number one AND number two ranked LHW's but you have. While Tito has fought a top 20 in Rashad Evans and only got a draw and he got beat by Liddell but somehow he has skill to be number three......no i think your opinion is slightly off.
MALICE
10/2/07 8:51:26PM

Rankings are based on skill which can or can not be determined by recent fights. I wouldnt expect someone to completely knock Wanderlei off the top ten rankings because he hasnt fought recently even though he is one of MMA's most dominant champions ever who beat your number one AND number two ranked LHW's but you have. While Tito has fought a top 20 in Rashad Evans and only got a draw and he got beat by Liddell but somehow he has skill to be number three......no i think your opinion is slightly off.

So if Fedor went without fighting for 3 or 4 more years, should he remain the #1 ranked fighter? That is basically what you are saying. Isn't it?
Sir_Karl
10/2/07 8:53:50PM
I certainly would rate Fedor number 1.
In my eyes he has fought enough and I also believe his competition has been "good" enough.
Couture is no doubt number 2, but to consider him number one you have to look at who HE has fought recently.
Gonzaga and Sylvia...if you put Matt Lindland's class in question you certainly have to question those 2.
I think Randy could beat Fedor, but at the moment I would rank Fedor number 1!
MMA
10/2/07 10:08:14PM

Posted by nubby

This is an irrelevant point. Although these individuals made a poor debut, it does not discredit Fedor's wins over them while they were "at their prime." Fedor defeated Big Nog (twice), who is still considered to be a very dangerous heavyweight. Although Cro Cop has been less than stellar in the UFC, at the time Fedor fought Cro Cop, he was considered to be a top heavyweight. Blah blah blah, you get my point.
nubby
10/2/07 10:33:42PM

Posted by MMA

Posted by nubby

This is an irrelevant point. Although these individuals made a poor debut, it does not discredit Fedor's wins over them while they were "at their prime." Fedor defeated Big Nog (twice), who is still considered to be a very dangerous heavyweight. Although Cro Cop has been less than stellar in the UFC, at the time Fedor fought Cro Cop, he was considered to be a top heavyweight. Blah blah blah, you get my point.

It's not irrelevant if the reason he beat them is because they are mediocre compared to talent in the UFC. Nogueira's next fight will actually say alot about the talent in Pride if he is upset.
loller90278
10/2/07 11:37:13PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by MMA

Posted by nubby

It's not irrelevant if the reason he beat them is because they are mediocre compared to talent in the UFC. Nogueira's next fight will actually say alot about the talent in Pride if he is upset.

nubby you seriously are my arch nemesis on the forums. everything you say is backwards to me. why does couture deserve to be #1? in his last 5 fights he lost 2 of them... he got ko'd by rodriguez, ko'd by barnett (blah blah steroids) and ko'd by liddel 2x... so if you're saying fedors win against lindland isnt credible enough, then shouldn't couture have won his fights against liddel because hes a hvy and chuck is lhw? big whoop, he beat an injured silvia, and gonzaga who had a broken nose for half the fight. couture hasn't shown anything spectacular imo besides his gameplan.. his strikings not that crisp, we havnt seen his ground game lately. if big nog gets past kongo, which i think he will, i think couture would lose to big nog, if he doesnt grind out a boring decision (which i dont consider a win btw)

and to the anti-pride statements, sure ufc fighters might be getting the better of them but just wait a year while everyone is acclimated because it was a different ball game in pride.. it was discipline vs discipline and camp vs camp. here its more who has better cardio and who can grind out the win.
MALICE
10/3/07 12:02:01AM

it was discipline vs discipline and camp vs camp. here its more who has better cardio and who can grind out the win.

All you are saying in this statement is the Ufc has more well-rounded fighters.
nubby
10/3/07 12:07:20AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by nubby

Posted by MMA

Posted by nubby

nubby you seriously are my arch nemesis on the forums. everything you say is backwards to me. why does couture deserve to be #1? in his last 5 fights he lost 2 of them... he got ko'd by rodriguez, ko'd by barnett (blah blah steroids) and ko'd by liddel 2x... so if you're saying fedors win against lindland isnt credible enough, then shouldn't couture have won his fights against liddel because hes a hvy and chuck is lhw? big whoop, he beat an injured silvia, and gonzaga who had a broken nose for half the fight. couture hasn't shown anything spectacular imo besides his gameplan.. his strikings not that crisp, we havnt seen his ground game lately. if big nog gets past kongo, which i think he will, i think couture would lose to big nog, if he doesnt grind out a boring decision (which i dont consider a win btw)

and to the anti-pride statements, sure ufc fighters might be getting the better of them but just wait a year while everyone is acclimated because it was a different ball game in pride.. it was discipline vs discipline and camp vs camp. here its more who has better cardio and who can grind out the win.

Yes I'm the backwards one because I'm basing my rankings off current events rather than past acheivements.

I really love that comment about the UFC being about cardio and grinding out a win, that's priceless. Because cardio and grinding out a decision is exactly how Gonzaga beat the best striker in pride... right? LOL, get over it man FEDOR AINT #1!!! When/if he comes to the UFC and kicks some ass, then so be it, but how long are you going to wait Loller? You going to wait until fedor retires? You amaze me with your genius.
Schizoidman
10/3/07 1:17:52AM
Fedor will always be considered one of the best fighters ever in MMA because he's still an undefeated champion, and he has fought top 10 challengers while they were still considered top 10 (or in their prime). He's in an elite class with fighters like Rickson Gracie and very few others. He's not retired, so he's still considered a heavyweight champion. And he's undefeated, so his record supports that he should be ranked higher than Couture. This will all be settled (hopefully) after he competes in that sambo tournament and signs with the UFC. The #1 and #2 rankings will remain in question until Randy and Fedor fight. Until then, arguements going either way are all valid (especially since they're opinion-based).
iwannabesedated
10/3/07 1:45:15AM
Im with Nubby on this one.Having only fought once this year against a MW-LHW guy like Lindland in Bodog isnt enough to say that at this time you are the guy..This is 2007 and i guess we all base on rankings on diffrent things wether it be past fights,recent fights(which i base mine on) or overall ability and blah blah...Me i have Anderson Silva as my Number 1 pound for pound why?? cause its hard to argue that one..He won in pride and has pretty much owned and cleaned out the MW in the UFC and i dont see him losing anytime soon.

Also with Anderson number 1 the pride nuthuggers cant argue cause it seems everytime someone mentions on how some of the pride guys are losing in the UFC they always throw in....Silva and Rampage were pride guys...blah blah no shit..So until Fedor comes into the UFC and does as well as Silva or Rampage then he can chill in the middle of my rankings for now.If you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best and if Fedor doesnt sign with the UFC the he wont get IMO the best...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4